X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GalaxyMan2015 View Post
    Thanks a whole bunch GalaxyMan!

Comment

Why hello there, I've started grooming out some hair assets for Hairworks and I've run into some... problems.

For information;
      - Using Galaxyman's merged branch of 4.9.1
      - Using a retargetted skeleton/animation set to "Skeleton" in the skeletal mesh
      - Exports from the Hairworks viewer and the Hairworks plugin in Maya have identical results.
      - Rig is the standard A.R.T. Rig
      - Hairworks viewer works fine, cannot load asset settings in UE4

Click image for larger version

Name:	UONranv.png
Views:	1
Size:	543.5 KB
ID:	1091892

It almost looks like the skinning is just... off, but I have no idea what is actually going on. I might just be dumb.

Thanks in advance for any assistance given!
      my site: www.nikidebakker.nl
      Or here: https://www.artstation.com/artist/kettun
      I'm looking for work. Character work. you can contact me anywhere

Comment

Make sure u have not applied any type of scaling to the hair or the growth mesh (mesh used to spawn the hair) in your modelling package (reset any scale), and do the same for transformation. Make the pivot point at the origin. I too have had some issues with skinned hair where it looks fine in the viewer but not in UE4. usually its just trial and error until it works, but I have found translation/scale can cause issues.
        NVIDIA GameWorks merged branch (v4.9.2) (v4.12.5) (v4.13 p2)
        Feel free to Donate if you wish to support me

Comment

After making a clean blueprint, it seems like it comes in rotated 90 degrees +X, which is strange in and of itself. went over the Maya files, everything is as you said, no translations, rotations, or anything.

The second any animation is applied it stretches, as if the growthmesh is beeing animated wrong.

Does it matter if there is an apex cloth file attached to the same skeletal mesh?

Comment

Originally posted by GalaxyMan2015 View Post
            Move where u have extracted the files to a lower directory, ie. C:\UnrealEngine
            Hi, i tried to unzipp files directly in C:\ and i can't finished unzipp UnrealEngine-4.9.1_NVIDIA_Techs.zip or UnrealEngine-4.9.2_NVIDIA_Techs.zip...i suppose that's why i can't finish to download dependencies. The file i can't unzipp is "Cannotimplementinterfaceblueprint" ... could you tell in which folder it is ?? may be i can extract it manually and then move to the right folder.
            Thanks regards.

Comment

Ok i achieve to extract in C:\. I will try to download dependencies ... my mistake was to extract in another disk instead of C:\. So i guess it doesn't work in another disk.

Comment

I love u GalaxyMan for updating ur branch ,it tried it myself but never got it to compile in 4.9.2 (guess i made a dumb mistake>.<),its working fine now i can also package <3

Comment

hola amigo yo logre que todo me saliera bien colocando los archivos en otro disco....! lo que si es que tube que extraer con zip y extraer aqui no en otra carpeta...! eso ami me ayudo espero que sirva de ayuda...! ahora voy por una instalacion limpia de NVIDIA GameWorksa (v4.9.2)

Comment

Originally posted by Kettun View Post
                    Why hello there, I've started grooming out some hair assets for Hairworks and I've run into some... problems.

For information;
                    - Using Galaxyman's merged branch of 4.9.1
                    - Using a retargetted skeleton/animation set to "Skeleton" in the skeletal mesh
                    - Exports from the Hairworks viewer and the Hairworks plugin in Maya have identical results.
                    - Rig is the standard A.R.T. Rig
                    - Hairworks viewer works fine, cannot load asset settings in UE4

[ATTACH=CONFIG]62955[/ATTACH]

It almost looks like the skinning is just... off, but I have no idea what is actually going on. I might just be dumb.

Thanks in advance for any assistance given!

looks like you have scaled your character first and then activated the hair right?, first put the character ( dont change the scale) and then put the hair and then scale them together.. this is how i did it with my Peach character http://imgur.com/r987W4V 3Ds Max

if you are using multiple hairworks, use the box collision so the hairworks wont dissapear
                    Last edited by iuhiuh; 10-26-2015, 09:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by iuhiuh View Post
                      looks like you have scaled your character first and then activated the hair right?, first put the character ( dont change the scale) and then put the hair and then scale them together.. this is how i did it with my Peach character http://imgur.com/r987W4V 3Ds Max
                      There's no scaling going on anywhere, I'm afraid, not in Maya, nor in UE4.

I just completely remade my growth mesh from scratch, which resulted in... exactly the same thing. I'm going to try one more thing, which is altering the retargetting in the skeleton from Skeleton to Animation in persona, to see if that does anything.

If -this- doesn't work! then I dont know that will.

EDIT: - And that didn't work either. So the only option remains remaking the rig, I suppose.
                      Last edited by Kettun; 10-26-2015, 09:00 PM.

Comment

I just completely remade my growth mesh from scratch, which resulted in... exactly the same thing. I'm going to try one more thing, which is altering the retargetting in the skeleton from Skeleton to Animation in persona, to see if that does anything.

EDIT: - And that didn't work either. So the only option remains remaking the rig, I suppose.
                        I'm not sure about Maya, as I dont use it, I know for a fact that it works using 3dsmax. Also in UE4 make sure the hair component is attached to the skeletal mesh component (drag and drop onto the skeletal mesh component). Otherwise in Maya, check your export options, mess with Up Axis and Handedness

Comment

Originally posted by schauk View Post
                          is there a way to make hairworks work with morph targets?
                          so that for example a beard moves correct when the mouth is opend by morph targets.
                          it seems to work just for bones =(
                          That sounds interesting. I think it's possible in future.

Comment

I had the same problem but in 3dsMax. It's very important that your unit setup is correct. I thought I was working in cm(the hair export asks which unit), but apparently it was set to inches. Which also gave that strange offset.
                            I hope this helps..
                            Project Shinrin | Portfolio

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions, I've followed them all, but now comes the kicker!

That's what i'm dealing with. The purple lines are the skeleton, in the left most figure it's completely static (No skinning) and the hair clips through the neck, but it works. sorta.
                              In blueprint viewport it has porper shading (For the most part) including diffuse. In the game viewport however, there is no diffuse shading, whatsoever, and specular shading is completely borked from speculars from other lights than the directional light that's lighting it. There's also no diffuse in a new level with only a single directional light (default scene)

In the middle figure... I don't know what happens. That's what happens when I parent the Hair directly under the skeleton. On a positive note, I know the skinning works! but the game crashes the second it's played with that in the scene.

Left most image and small images are the maya scene. (It contains PhysX nodes for the purposes of Apex Cloth, exports and works just fine.)
                              I'm exporting in cm, and those are my working units. If I mess with the scale, it just scales the entire malformed skeleton. ABP, APX, Y-up, Z-up, Right, left. any combination of these doesn't do a thing besides rotate the skeleton on import.

Just wondering, are all of the other examples right now made with 3dsMax? it sure sounds like it.

And if this is the case, I doubt this will be something that I can fix.

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions, I've followed them all, but now comes the kicker!

That's what i'm dealing with. The purple lines are the skeleton, in the left most figure it's completely static (No skinning) and the hair clips through the neck, but it works. sorta.
                                In blueprint viewport it has porper shading (For the most part) including diffuse. In the game viewport however, there is no diffuse shading, whatsoever, and specular shading is completely borked from speculars from other lights than the directional light that's lighting it. There's also no diffuse in a new level with only a single directional light (default scene)

In the middle figure... I don't know what happens. That's what happens when I parent the Hair directly under the skeleton. On a positive note, I know the skinning works! but the game crashes the second it's played with that in the scene.

Left most image and small images are the maya scene. (It contains PhysX nodes for the purposes of Apex Cloth, exports and works just fine.)
                                I'm exporting in cm, and those are my working units. If I mess with the scale, it just scales the entire malformed skeleton. ABP, APX, Y-up, Z-up, Right, left. any combination of these doesn't do a thing besides rotate the skeleton on import.

Just wondering, are all of the other examples right now made with 3dsMax? it sure sounds like it.

And if this is the case, I doubt this will be something that I can fix.
                                There are examples that come with the HairWorks SDK that are done in Maya, just look in the examples for the maya scenes, you could look at how they set it up. As I said earlier, I have never used Maya for Hair so no idea. But if you are willing to send me the assets in FBX format, and the hair in apx format, I could look and see if I can get it to work in UE4 for you.

Comment

Working...
                                X