No announcement yet.

NVIDIA GameWorks Integration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is a quick walk-through of the setup for all of the GameWorks UE4 builds - Hopefully this helps some people.

- Download and install Visual Studio Community 2013 (as far as i know other versions don't work with UE4 builds at this time) here: https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/n...munity-vs.aspx
    - Create a GitHub account and make sure you're logged into it or you will get a 404 page with the links below
    - Link it to your Epic Games account (the same account you use for this forum), here is a quick write-up on how to do that - https://wiki.unrealengine.com/GitHub_Setup
    - Find and download the branch you want to use, all GameWorks branches are located at this link: https://github.com/NvPhysX/UnrealEngine
    - On the top left of that page you will see a dropdown next to the UnrealEngine / + breadcrumb, in this dropdown you can select which branch you want (HairWorks, VXGI, etc.)
    - Select the branch you want from the dropdown
    - On the right side of the page for that branch click the Download ZIP button, the file will download
    - Once the file is downloaded extract it to the folder in which you would like the files to reside
    - Once extracted run Setup.bat, if prompted to overwrite files in the DOS console type N for no. You may need to give the operation permission to run (at least i did in Window 7) so keep an eye out for the little pulsing Allow shield icon in the taskbar if the process pauses and you don't get a popup. this process can take a while depending on your system specs.
    - Once the process is finished double click the GenerateProjectFiles.bat. Same steps as above but the process only takes a few seconds.
    - Once that process is done double click the new Visual Studio file that was created, this will open Visual Studio Community 2013. If it gives you a popup about unauthenticated files or something like that just click ok.
    - With Visual Studio open, on the right select UE4 on the top of the tree, right click and select Build. This process takes the longest, usually 20-40 minutes. It will tell you once it's complete with 1 successful and 0 failed message)
    - Once that build is done right click the ShaderCompilerWorker in the same tree that you built UE4 from in Visual Studio and click Build. This process only takes a few seconds.
    - Once that's all done you can now launch the editor. The first time you launch the editor do it from Visual Studio by selecting UE4 in the right side tree and pressing F5
    - After the initial launch you can just launch the editor normally from the Engine > Binaries > Win64 > UE4Editor.exe file
    - When you first start the editor it will most likely show you a project select screen, when you double click the example project it may ask you if you want to convert the project, select Skip Conversion.
    Last edited by CharlestonS; 08-26-2015, 07:00 PM.

Twitter - @TheCSilverman

Ancient Cistern | Advanced Material Pack Ed. 1 | Advanced Material Pack Ed. 2 | Advanced Material Pack Ed. 3 | Texture Pack Ed. 1 | Container Pack Ed. 1 | Road Sign Pack Ed. 1

Comment

Nice guide CharlestonS! I hope people will benefit from it, unless it drowns in all the other posts...
      I really wished someone could update the original post by Cube with all the important information and guides.

Is no mod able to edit the post?

Comment

Noticed a bug that's been present for a few different VXGI builds I've been using, seems to be consistent throughout them. Something in VXGI is breaking the new far shadow cascades option in 4.8 on directional lights. When far shadow cascades+regular shadow cascades = more than 4, the cascades near the camera vanish. I thought it was just Galaxyman's branch at first, but even the regular VXGI build without any modifications past that has the issue as well.

Comment

Originally posted by BrickTop View Post
          Oh, that would be just awesome if you can get us clean HBAO version for 4.9! Please drop a line here if/when you have it.

As for your workaround - where do I find these lines? I guess it's somewhere in Visual Studio, but which file (never dealt with this stuff aside from building branches )

Thanks for your help!
          I usually just do a search in files (Ctrl + Shift + F) and then look for the right line. The lines should be in one of the Build.cs files.

Originally posted by RynerLuteTLD View Post
          NVM I figured it out, but quick question? Once 4.9 stable comes out it shouldn't be too difficult to take GalaxyMan's integration in 4.8 and integrate into 4.9 right ?
          Depending on what is changed in the renderer, it may be very easy, or very difficult. Bare in mind, it will not work for D3D12 tho, so the integration will need to cater for that.
          NVIDIA GameWorks merged branch (v4.9.2) (v4.12.5) (v4.13 p2)
          Feel free to Donate if you wish to support me

Comment

HairWorks Apx Flie is Import Fail. Help me!

I do not use the 3Ds Max program, and Maya program has succeeded in connecting the head.
            But, headache pain of these because errors. Error details fur stands share mesh vertices with other lines. This should not be imported due to errors. They will not be exported.
            I'm experimented the two objects.
            (In fact, several times attempt is made. but, there are more failures.)
            Making the two objects, The results were different. One object is successful and one object failed. Line was also less used.
            I will attach a video link.(https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxH...ew?usp=sharing).
            I would like to know the solutions.

Comment

Originally posted by GalaxyMan2015 View Post
              Depending on what is changed in the renderer, it may be very easy, or very difficult. Bare in mind, it will not work for D3D12 tho, so the integration will need to cater for that.
              There are significant changes in the renderer, but nothing too complicated to solve. I just ported the VXGI/HBAO integration to 4.9.0-preview-4; it took me a day, and a lot of code had to be modified slightly after the rebase and resolve.

I can't tell when it's going to be released yet, probably after the final 4.9.

Click image for larger version

Name:	VXGI_in_UE49.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	274.9 KB
ID:	1084504
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by 동서대 View Post
                I do not use the 3Ds Max program, and Maya program has succeeded in connecting the head.
                But, headache pain of these because errors. Error details fur stands share mesh vertices with other lines. This should not be imported due to errors. They will not be exported.
                I'm experimented the two objects.
                (In fact, several times attempt is made. but, there are more failures.)
                Making the two objects, The results were different. One object is successful and one object failed. Line was also less used.
                I will attach a video link.(https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxH...ew?usp=sharing).
                I would like to know the solutions.
                I can't be 100% sure, but I believe u need to resolve the "fur strands share mesh vertices with other lines" issue first, I remember having some issues with skinning when that error occurred in 3dsmax at least. Not sure how to resolve it in Maya, but in 3dsmax, there is a HairWorks menu that allows you to select all duplicate splines, and then you can just delete them and export things correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexey.Panteleev View Post
                  There are significant changes in the renderer, but nothing too complicated to solve. I just ported the VXGI/HBAO integration to 4.9.0-preview-4; it took me a day, and a lot of code had to be modified slightly after the rebase and resolve.

I can't tell when it's going to be released yet, probably after the final 4.9.
                  Thats good, based on what I am seeing in 4.9, I will be updating at some point, and I am making use of VXGI, so glad to see that is working. Will it eventually support D3D12? Altho at this point, I would much rather see HBAO+ supporting D3D12, since that makes my scenes look so much better in D3D11 compared to D3D12

Comment

Originally posted by GalaxyMan2015 View Post
                    Will it eventually support D3D12?
                    Eventually yes, we're working on it. The current status is - VXGI works with DX12 in a standalone application; making it work with UE requires creating a new layer for translation of VXGI rendering commands into UE RHI because we can't easily merge rendering state like we did for DX11.

Comment

with VXGI can see good reflection transparent material ?
                      i need glass reflection. it's possible ?!

Comment

Originally posted by vahid1991 View Post
                        with VXGI can see good reflection transparent material ?
                        i need glass reflection. it's possible ?!
                        Not currently. Technically it's possible to use VXGI to generate reflections on transparent materials, but it's not on the near-term todo list.

Comment

Originally posted by 동서대 View Post
                          I tried to check after download. But, The result is the same. Maybe hair is seems to have misunderstood the production method. I know the order From 3Ds Max Studio program, Mesh Skinning and Hair & Fur making. Next create Guides -> Splines after Hairwork Guides link SpLine. Finally I know the Export FBX and APX. This order was referenced in this site(https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...ine-4-Pipeline).
                          Create and Blueprint, A-Pose is NO problem. But Animation pose is not attached hair. Where is the problem? I will attach a video to make it easier to understand the question.(https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxH...ew?usp=sharing)
                          I am having a similar issue. The hair performs as expected on the skinned and animated mesh in HairWorks viewer, but in Unreal Engine 4 it does not follow the mesh at all, it animates though, just in a different position. I'll post a video with the issue when I get a chance.
                          Last edited by Aabel; 08-26-2015, 02:15 PM.

Comment

UE 4.8 supports Screen Space Reflections (Real-Time Reflections) on transparency so unless VXGI, for some reason, doesn't allow this then it 'should' work with 4.8+ builds of the engine.

Twitter - @TheCSilverman

Ancient Cistern | Advanced Material Pack Ed. 1 | Advanced Material Pack Ed. 2 | Advanced Material Pack Ed. 3 | Texture Pack Ed. 1 | Container Pack Ed. 1 | Road Sign Pack Ed. 1

Comment

SSR in bad reflection.
                              VXGI reflection don't work with transparent material (4.8.2 NvPhysX)
                              is very terrible ue4 don't a good way for create glass material with REAL-TIME reflection !!!
                              IS NOT ANY WAY ?!
                              Last edited by vahid1991; 08-26-2015, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Thank you for the guide. I have a github account but I always get the 404 page even when i'm logged in. I can get to this page tho https://github.com/NvPhysX/

Comment

Working...
                                X