NVIDIA GameWorks Integration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CharlestonS View Post
    So i read literally the entire thread and i noticed a few people post with less than 900 GPUs who were able to run VXGI.

I'm running the below setup right now and i wanted to know if VXGI will run on my system (obviously I'm not expecting playable performance if so)

Win 7 Pro
    Core i7 980
    Dual MSI 560 TI 2GB
    24GB ram

I was also wondering if anyone has run any of the GameWorks integrations on DX12 yet and if so what kind of performance difference have you experienced?

Thanks in advance!
    Hi. Im trying VXGI on my GTX660ti and it works. There are two test scenes, one is single cornell box and there i have 30fps (i have locked fps) and the other scene is more demanding and there i have between 10-30fps on default vxgi settings. Performance depend on vxgi quality settings.

Comment

Thanks for the info! - So i can't even launch the VXGI build as it gives me a break point error when i launch from VS and a First/Last Chance error when i launch from .exe

So i tried compiling the Flex build and everything works and loads but when i load any of the example maps it just shows emitters tossing out spheres and squares. Do i need to enable something to see the actual Flex effects or does this mean my GPU doesn't support it?

I made sure that the engine scale was set to Epic.

Originally posted by Nigkdo View Post
      Hi. Im trying VXGI on my GTX660ti and it works. There are two test scenes, one is single cornell box and there i have 30fps (i have locked fps) and the other scene is more demanding and there i have between 10-30fps on default vxgi settings. Performance depend on vxgi quality settings.
      Last edited by CharlestonS; 08-19-2015, 05:43 PM.

Twitter - @TheCSilverman

Ancient Cistern | Advanced Material Pack Ed. 1 | Advanced Material Pack Ed. 2 | Advanced Material Pack Ed. 3 | Texture Pack Ed. 1 | Container Pack Ed. 1 | Road Sign Pack Ed. 1

Comment

Thanks for the info! - So i can't even launch the VXGI build as it gives me a break point error when i launch from VS and a First/Last Chance error when i launch from .exe
        Where is the break point happening? Can you post the call stack and the last lines of output log from VS?

VXGI works on any DX11 compatible GPU. Fermi boards like the 560 should work too, but it'll be really slow.

Comment

Thank you very much for the links. We will try to create a new build the next days. :-) @GalaxyMan: I appreciate your work very much. I hope that the NVIDIA Gameworks package will be some day an offical part of the Unreal Engine.

Comment

Thanks for the reply! So with the VXGI build (the latest on GitHub) these are the last lines from the VS log from just before the break point to the end of the log:

[2015.08.20-07.09.41:954][ 0]LogModuleManager:Warning: ModuleManager: Unable to load module 'D3D11RHI' because the file 'F:/Work/UE4/GitHub/Nvidia GameWorks/UnrealEngine-vxgi4.8.2/Engine/Binaries/Win64/' was not found.
            Assertion failed: ModuleManager.IsModuleLoaded(ModuleName) [File:F:\Work\UE4\GitHub\Nvidia GameWorks\UnrealEngine-vxgi4.8.2\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\Modules\ModuleManager.h] [Line: 235]
            Tried to get module interface for unloaded module: 'D3D11RHI'
            UE4Editor.exe has triggered a breakpoint.

UE4Editor.exe has triggered a breakpoint.

[2015.08.20-07.11.12:972][ 0]LogWindows:Error: Windows GetLastError: The operation completed successfully. (0)
            [2015.08.20-07.11.12:973][ 0]LogWindows: === Critical error: ===
            Assertion failed: ModuleManager.IsModuleLoaded(ModuleName) [File:F:\Work\UE4\GitHub\Nvidia GameWorks\UnrealEngine-vxgi4.8.2\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\Modules\ModuleManager.h] [Line: 235]
            Tried to get module interface for unloaded module: 'D3D11RHI'

[2015.08.20-07.11.13:121][ 0]LogExit: Executing StaticShutdownAfterError
            [2015.08.20-07.11.13:122][ 0]LogWindows: FPlatformMisc::RequestExit(1)
            The thread 0x383c has exited with code 3 (0x3).
            The thread 0x2178 has exited with code 3 (0x3).
            The thread 0x47c4 has exited with code 3 (0x3).
            The thread 0x414c has exited with code 3 (0x3).
            The thread 0x2d90 has exited with code 3 (0x3).
            The thread 0x2fe4 has exited with code 3 (0x3).
            The thread 0x309c has exited with code 3 (0x3).
            The thread 0x4a10 has exited with code 3 (0x3).
            The thread 0x4294 has exited with code 3 (0x3).
            The thread 0x214c has exited with code 3 (0x3).
            The thread 0x4b08 has exited with code 3 (0x3).
            The thread 0x2608 has exited with code 3 (0x3).
            The thread 0x2990 has exited with code 3 (0x3).
            The thread 0x4478 has exited with code 3 (0x3).
            The thread 0x279c has exited with code 3 (0x3).
            The thread 0x4a08 has exited with code 3 (0x3).
            The program '[14180] UE4Editor.exe' has exited with code 3 (0x3).

When i try to run the editor directly from the .exe under the Win64 directory i get this crash dump from UE4:

Unknown exception - code 00000001 (first/second chance not available)

"Assertion failed: ModuleManager.IsModuleLoaded(ModuleName) [File:F:\Work\UE4\GitHub\Nvidia GameWorks\UnrealEngine-vxgi4.8.2\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\Modules\ModuleManager.h] [Line: 235]
            Tried to get module interface for unloaded module:

UE4Editor_Core!FDebug::AssertFailed() [f:\work\ue4\github\nvidia gameworks\unrealengine-vxgi4.8.2\engine\source\runtime\core\private\misc\outputdevice.cpp:355]
            UE4Editor_RHI!FModuleManager::GetModuleChecked() [f:\work\ue4\github\nvidia gameworks\unrealengine-vxgi4.8.2\engine\source\runtime\core\public\modules\modulemanager.h:235]
            UE4Editor_RHI!FModuleManager::LoadModuleChecked() [f:\work\ue4\github\nvidia gameworks\unrealengine-vxgi4.8.2\engine\source\runtime\core\public\modules\modulemanager.h:280]
            UE4Editor_RHI!PlatformCreateDynamicRHI() [f:\work\ue4\github\nvidia gameworks\unrealengine-vxgi4.8.2\engine\source\runtime\rhi\private\windows\windowsdynamicrhi.cpp:38]
            UE4Editor_RHI!RHIInit() [f:\work\ue4\github\nvidia gameworks\unrealengine-vxgi4.8.2\engine\source\runtime\rhi\private\dynamicrhi.cpp:49]
            UE4Editor!FEngineLoop::PreInit() [f:\work\ue4\github\nvidia gameworks\unrealengine-vxgi4.8.2\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\launchengineloop.cpp:1318]
            UE4Editor!GuardedMain() [f:\work\ue4\github\nvidia gameworks\unrealengine-vxgi4.8.2\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\launch.cpp:110]
            UE4Editor!GuardedMainWrapper() [f:\work\ue4\github\nvidia gameworks\unrealengine-vxgi4.8.2\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\windows\launchwindows.cpp:126]
            UE4Editor!WinMain() [f:\work\ue4\github\nvidia gameworks\unrealengine-vxgi4.8.2\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\windows\launchwindows.cpp:200

Now when i run the Flex build all works well but when i open any of the samples maps i just see Spheres being emitted with no collision or effects as seen in this screen grab:

So far the only GameWorks build i have been able to run successfully is HairWorks which i just compiled a few minutes ago.

Originally posted by Alexey.Panteleev View Post
            Where is the break point happening? Can you post the call stack and the last lines of output log from VS?

VXGI works on any DX11 compatible GPU. Fermi boards like the 560 should work too, but it'll be really slow.

Twitter - @TheCSilverman

Ancient Cistern | Advanced Material Pack Ed. 1 | Advanced Material Pack Ed. 2 | Advanced Material Pack Ed. 3 | Texture Pack Ed. 1 | Container Pack Ed. 1 | Road Sign Pack Ed. 1

Comment

T

Now when i run the Flex build all works well but when i open any of the samples maps i just see Spheres being emitted with no collision or effects as seen in this screen grab:

If you look in the Maps folder of the flexproject that comes with the flex branch, there are different levels that display the different features of flex. Theres is rigidbody, cloth, fluid (surface) and softbodies at the moment. Smoke is said to come later. The balls you see is what flex actually is, a particle based physics system. The are other system that use particles for physics such as: https://www.vicogamestudio.com/projects/vico-dynamics

If you try to open one the flex static meshes you will see that the system "fills" the static meshes with balls to simulate physics.

Comment

Thats how they will appear in the editor, you have to launch a PIE session to actually see them interact with the environment.
                NVIDIA GameWorks merged branch (v4.9.2) (v4.12.5) (v4.13 p2)
                Feel free to Donate if you wish to support me

Comment

Thanks for the reply! So with the VXGI build (the latest on GitHub) these are the last lines from the VS log from just before the break point to the end of the log:

[2015.08.20-07.09.41:954][ 0]LogModuleManager:Warning: ModuleManager: Unable to load module 'D3D11RHI' because the file 'F:/Work/UE4/GitHub/Nvidia GameWorks/UnrealEngine-vxgi4.8.2/Engine/Binaries/Win64/' was not found.
                  That's really odd.. Are you sure the project was built without errors? Maybe a rebuild will help, or a different branch (VXGI-dev instead of vxgi-4.8.2; I know it's a mess with branches right now, we'll fix that someday).

Comment

Originally posted by GalaxyMan2015 View Post
                    I have no idea how to do it in Maya, but in 3dsmax, you specify sphere collision shapes for where you want collisions, link them together and export. These come into UE4 and work correctly. As for realistic physics, if its skinned to the character and you set the properties of the hair correctly, it will just work, you will need to mess with mass, gravity, etc. to get the look your after, but its not really that difficult.
                    Trying yours now

Edit: What is the necessary configuration/ changes for the .bat files to work for Visual Studio 2015?
                    Last edited by srmojuze; 08-20-2015, 12:42 PM.

Comment

Well i ran 'Simulation' in editor and it looked the same, i don't remember if i actually did 'Play in Editor' but i will give that a try when i get back to my computer.

Originally posted by GalaxyMan2015 View Post
                      That's how they will appear in the editor, you have to launch a PIE session to actually see them interact with the environment.

Yes, i rebuilt the project twice with no errors, i will try an older version of the VXGI build though, thanks!

Originally posted by Alexey.Panteleev View Post
                      That's really odd.. Are you sure the project was built without errors? Maybe a rebuild will help, or a different branch (VXGI-dev instead of vxgi-4.8.2; I know it's a mess with branches right now, we'll fix that someday).

Yeah, i saw that and i figured that's what the spheres were for but even when i opened the other maps and ran 'Simulate' they looked the same. Is there some sort of console command or project setting i need to enable to see the actual effects?

Originally posted by Number47 View Post
                      If you look in the Maps folder of the flexproject that comes with the flex branch, there are different levels that display the different features of flex. Theres is rigidbody, cloth, fluid (surface) and softbodies at the moment. Smoke is said to come later. The balls you see is what flex actually is, a particle based physics system. The are other system that use particles for physics such as: https://www.vicogamestudio.com/projects/vico-dynamics

If you try to open one the flex static meshes you will see that the system "fills" the static meshes with balls to simulate physics.
                      Last edited by CharlestonS; 08-20-2015, 01:54 PM.

Twitter - @TheCSilverman

Comment

Well i ran 'Simulation' in editor and it looked the same, i don't remember if i actually did 'Play in Editor' but i will give that a try when i get back to my computer.

Yes, i rebuilt the project twice with no errors, i will try an older version of the VXGI build though, thanks!

Yeah, i saw that and i figured that's what the spheres were for but even when i opened the other maps and ran 'Simulate' they looked the same. Is there some sort of console command or project setting i need to enable to see the actual effects?
                        You need to have the latest NVIDIA drivers installed.

Comment

Just finished the entire thread (phew). Thanks to everyone involved. Some great info here and well recommended to get to grips with VXGI for the first time (I program more than art). Flex is amazing and I can't wait to get stuck into some fluid dynamics. I really wanted to intergrate the Nvidia builds myself but after getting VXGI working I had problems getting Flex to merge so BIG THANKS to Galaxyman2015 for his work.
                          http://unrealdeveloper.uk

Comment

I do - Running 355.60 from Aug 13th.

Originally posted by Number47 View Post
                            You need to have the latest NVIDIA drivers installed.

Twitter - @TheCSilverman

Comment

Hey guys,
                              I'm curious if nvidia hair works could be a good choice for creating nice carpets like this one bellow ?
                              Are they any options to control how thick the hair should be?

Comment

Help Missing Hair apx

Excuse me. Can i help me?
                                I make hair with 3D MAX and Export Unreal Engine 4.
                                I'm work export FBX and APX.
                                I make Blueprint.
                                So, FBX file and APX file was linked to a Blueprint.
                                Success, hair put engraft characters about A-Pose.
                                But, animated character failed engraft hair.
                                Oddly, Nivida Hairworks Viewer program is no problem.
                                Success, hair put enfraft animated characters.
                                But, Unreal Engine 4 program is big problem.
                                Not engrft.

I don't know.
                                Please, help me! [Sob][Sob]

P.s Sorry not good at English.
                                I'm Sorry, and Have a good day. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                                X