NVIDIA GameWorks Integration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello
    I am trying to use the UE4-waveworks integration for ship-dynamics, but I am struggling with understanding how to read back the vertex displacements from the simulation as a starting point for doing buoyancy simulation. In an early presentation of waveworks (GDC2013), a GetDisplacements() method was indicated (below)
    Click image for larger version

Name:	demoVesselDyn.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	1080835

Is this way of doing it abandoned and replaced by something else? Please. Can anyone guide me in the right direction here?

Carl

Comment

Originally posted by casim View Post
      Hello
      I am trying to use the UE4-waveworks integration for ship-dynamics, but I am struggling with understanding how to read back the vertex displacements from the simulation as a starting point for doing buoyancy simulation. In an early presentation of waveworks (GDC2013), a GetDisplacements() method was indicated (below)

Is this way of doing it abandoned and replaced by something else? Please. Can anyone guide me in the right direction here?

Carl
      The GetDisplacements function is still available in the API:

Code:
      // Retrieve an array of simulated displacements for some given array of x-y locations - use GetReadbackCursor() to identify the
      // kick which produced the simulation results that are about to be retrieved
      GFSDK_WAVEWORKS_DECL(gfsdk_waveworks_result    ) GFSDK_WaveWorks_Simulation_GetDisplacements(GFSDK_WaveWorks_SimulationHandle hSim, const gfsdk_float2* inSamplePoints, gfsdk_float4* outDisplacements, gfsdk_U32 numSamples);
      I haven't done any work with WaveWorks, so thats about all the help I can provide. But as far as I can tell, as long as you have the WaveWorks Simulation Handle, its just a matter of calling the above function, and doing something with the out variables.
      NVIDIA GameWorks merged branch (v4.9.2) (v4.12.5) (v4.13 p2)
      Feel free to Donate if you wish to support me

Comment

Hey GalaxyMan2015,

Do you still keep separate branches for different features in 4.8 (HBAO, VXGi etc.)? The reason I'm asking is because I compiled your merged 4.8 branch, but unfortunately it has some issues with deferred decals, which are absolutely essential for me. I don't know whether it's 4.8 itself or some of the merged Nvidia techs, but I was wondering if you are planning on creating a "clean" 4.8 build with just HBAO (this is probably the most stable and usable feature as of now)? Would be awesome, but of course that's only if you got some spare time.

Comment

Originally posted by GalaxyMan2015 View Post
          The GetDisplacements function is still available in the API:

Code:
          // Retrieve an array of simulated displacements for some given array of x-y locations - use GetReadbackCursor() to identify the
          // kick which produced the simulation results that are about to be retrieved
          GFSDK_WAVEWORKS_DECL(gfsdk_waveworks_result    ) GFSDK_WaveWorks_Simulation_GetDisplacements(GFSDK_WaveWorks_SimulationHandle hSim, const gfsdk_float2* inSamplePoints, gfsdk_float4* outDisplacements, gfsdk_U32 numSamples);
          I haven't done any work with WaveWorks, so thats about all the help I can provide. But as far as I can tell, as long as you have the WaveWorks Simulation Handle, its just a matter of calling the above function, and doing something with the out variables.
          Thank you GalaxyMan. That helps me to get going.

Comment

Originally posted by BrickTop View Post
            Hey GalaxyMan2015,

Do you still keep separate branches for different features in 4.8 (HBAO, VXGi etc.)? The reason I'm asking is because I compiled your merged 4.8 branch, but unfortunately it has some issues with deferred decals, which are absolutely essential for me. I don't know whether it's 4.8 itself or some of the merged Nvidia techs, but I was wondering if you are planning on creating a "clean" 4.8 build with just HBAO (this is probably the most stable and usable feature as of now)? Would be awesome, but of course that's only if you got some spare time.
            I believe the deferred decals issue is due to one of the NVIDIA techs. As I do have the same issue. I haven't maintained any separate branches, as I use the same version of the engine that I release for my projects. I do plan to support being able to turn off compilation of the features you don't need. This is already enabled for Flex, but not for the other techs at this time.

Comment

Thanks for quick reply, GalaxyMan2015. Good to hear I'm not the only one experiencing deferred decals issue (flickering screen, right?). So, since you have no separate branch for HBAO, I guess I'd have to stick with 4.7.4 (the one from Nvidia's repository), or just wait til they make a clean HBAO only 4.8 version. Anyway, thanks for clarifying that (oh, and the version where you can shut off unneeded techs would be just perfect!).

Oh, and if you manage to fix the decal issue somehow, please let us know how. Thx!

Comment

He has done a pull request to my branch, I am just testing them now, and if I get a successful build, I will accept the pull request.

EDIT: Even with the above fixes, packaging works fine, but the hair vanishes in game for me.
                hm.. to bad so nvidia needs to fix it

Comment

Originally posted by BrickTop View Post
                  Thanks for quick reply, GalaxyMan2015. Good to hear I'm not the only one experiencing deferred decals issue (flickering screen, right?). So, since you have no separate branch for HBAO, I guess I'd have to stick with 4.7.4 (the one from Nvidia's repository), or just wait til they make a clean HBAO only 4.8 version. Anyway, thanks for clarifying that (oh, and the version where you can shut off unneeded techs would be just perfect!).

Oh, and if you manage to fix the decal issue somehow, please let us know how. Thx!
                  Yes flickering screen is the issue, as for a separate HBAO branch, if I get some free time this week, I can do it, HBAO is actually one of the easiest branches to integrate with newer versions.

Originally posted by iuhiuh View Post
                  hm.. to bad so nvidia needs to fix it
                  No, need to determine what is causing the issue. It seems using NVIDIA's master HairWorks branch with the fix provided, works without any issues, so something else appears to be causing issues with my branch, it could be one of the other techs.

Comment

Yes flickering screen is the issue, as for a separate HBAO branch, if I get some free time this week, I can do it, HBAO is actually one of the easiest branches to integrate with newer versions.
                    That would be very kind of you, sir! Hopefully, it's not the HBAO that's causing flickering (I really doubt that). Epic guys should just integrate HBAO already, so we won't have to bother you with this all the time It's working perfectly, and the amount of depth it adds to the scene is just amazing.

Comment

Any news from TXAA?
                      Pursuit of Realistic Cinematic scene.

Comment

Hm.... i love your branch so much, would be awesome if you find out whats causing it

Comment

I dont do help me please

Comment

Originally posted by enoes View Post
                            I dont do help me please
                            ok ok relax. im not gonna help you.
                            Pursuit of Realistic Cinematic scene.

Comment

Originally posted by enoes View Post
                              I dont do help me please

I understand English is not your first language. If you would be using Google Translate you probably would be easier to understand. This request of yours doesn't make any sense..

Comment

Hey,

can you please elaborate regarding the reason for this error?

[2015.06.29-17.56.08:991][ 0]LogFlex:Warning: Flex Error: Could not initialize Flex, error querying devices., ../../../flex.cu:4610

My setup is a bit unique, I have 2 AMD R9 290x that I use for other development and now I also have GTX960 just for Flex research.

The GTX960 is set to be the main display and the flex 0.8 standalone demo works as it should the UE integration on the other hand fails.

P.S.

Would it be possible to get an update on the DirectCompute version? I am working on a project where we want to use Flex as core gameplay mechanism.

Comment

Working...
                                X