Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unreal launcher for linux ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • replied
    Originally posted by Tomza View Post
    And an easy installation of UE4 on Linux? Why do we have to use the workarounds and tricks to get our favourite game engine installed in our favourite operating system? It can be difficult for many users. Not all Linux users are geeks.
    Don't get me wrong, I understand that. Though, I was commenting on the fact that it appeared a big gripe people had was the lack of access to the learning material, sample content and so forth. Whereas, the potential solution I provided would have fixed that, in the interim.

    Originally posted by Gwenn View Post
    Well that would be much better than asking a friend to download your assets (using your own credentials) so that he can upload them back to you through dropbox or something. Which is what we're doing in our team.
    That's what I had assumed, as well. It also, technically, shouldn't be hard to accomplish. Then again, that's down to Epic. Not me =P

    Leave a comment:


  • replied
    Originally posted by DanielBennifer View Post
    It seems like the only true complaint here is the lack of access to marketplace content? Wouldn't making the content downloadable from the browser sort this issue? Then you could drop it into your project manually. Seems like that'd sort it out, without the need for the launcher?
    Well that would be much better than asking a friend to download your assets (using your own credentials) so that he can upload them back to you through dropbox or something. Which is what we're doing in our team.

    Leave a comment:


  • replied
    Originally posted by DanielBennifer View Post
    It seems like the only true complaint here is the lack of access to marketplace content? Wouldn't making the content downloadable from the browser sort this issue? Then you could drop it into your project manually. Seems like that'd sort it out, without the need for the launcher?
    And an easy installation of UE4 on Linux? Why do we have to use the workarounds and tricks to get our favourite game engine installed in our favourite operating system? It can be difficult for many users. Not all Linux users are geeks.

    Leave a comment:


  • replied
    It seems like the only true complaint here is the lack of access to marketplace content? Wouldn't making the content downloadable from the browser sort this issue? Then you could drop it into your project manually. Seems like that'd sort it out, without the need for the launcher?

    Leave a comment:


  • replied
    Originally posted by Yaakuro View Post
    Hi there

    To make things clear. You don't need to activate the CodeLite accessor because it is activated by default on GNU/Linux systems. Furthermore you don't have to change anything in the ini file either because you can select the CodeLite accessor in the UE4 editor. Go to the UE4 editor settings under 'Source Code' and select CodeLite 7/8. You can use that of course for CodeLite 9 and future versions too. You do that once and finish.
    Is this a new change? I had to manually edit the ini in 4.10, but I haven't rebuilt or updated since. Either way, awesome work. Thank you.

    Leave a comment:


  • replied
    Originally posted by Yaakuro View Post
    Hi there

    To make things clear. You don't need to activate the CodeLite accessor because it is activated by default on GNU/Linux systems. Furthermore you don't have to change anything in the ini file either because you can select the CodeLite accessor in the UE4 editor. Go to the UE4 editor settings under 'Source Code' and select CodeLite 7/8. You can use that of course for CodeLite 9 and future versions too. You do that once and finish.
    Thank you for the info. I didn't know.

    Editor Preferences -> Source Code (General) -> Source Code Editor -> Choose editor you want to use

    Very well! Now, the next step is the possibility of using Marketplace under Linux, then the binary version and the launcher. You can do that, guys.

    Leave a comment:


  • replied
    Originally posted by Kronykus View Post
    It's the only real problem I have. The CodeLite IDE works well for code, but there's an ini file that has to be edited to enable it. See this page, about halfway down. The section, C++ projects and IDE's, explains the changes made. After that, enable the plugin inside the editor, and you should be good to go. Also, see this thread.
    Originally posted by Tomza View Post
    Thank you! This info will be useful for other Linux users too. However, Epic Team should support it officially and without any issues because it can be a problem for many inexperienced users. And all should work without any tricks and workarounds, Marketplace too. In other words, we should be treated equally. Making a good binary version for one distro (let's say Ubuntu) it's not a big work, just goodwill. Please free us from Windows.
    Hi there

    To make things clear. You don't need to activate the CodeLite accessor because it is activated by default on GNU/Linux systems. Furthermore you don't have to change anything in the ini file either because you can select the CodeLite accessor in the UE4 editor. Go to the UE4 editor settings under 'Source Code' and select CodeLite 7/8. You can use that of course for CodeLite 9 and future versions too. You do that once and finish.

    Leave a comment:


  • replied
    Originally posted by Tomza View Post
    Thank you! This info will be useful for other Linux users too. However, Epic Team should support it officially and without any issues because it can be a problem for many inexperienced users. And all should work without any tricks and workarounds, Marketplace too. In other words, we should be treated equally. Making a good binary version for one distro (let's say Ubuntu) it's not a big work, just goodwill. Please free us from Windows.
    Agreed. I really don't see why it can't set ini file appropriately when the plugin is selected in the editor...

    Leave a comment:


  • replied
    Originally posted by Kronykus View Post
    It's the only real problem I have. The CodeLite IDE works well for code, but there's an ini file that has to be edited to enable it. See this page, about halfway down. The section, C++ projects and IDE's, explains the changes made. After that, enable the plugin inside the editor, and you should be good to go. Also, see this thread.
    Thank you! This info will be useful for other Linux users too. However, Epic Team should support it officially and without any issues because it can be a problem for many inexperienced users. And all should work without any tricks and workarounds, Marketplace too. In other words, we should be treated equally. Making a good binary version for one distro (let's say Ubuntu) it's not a big work, just goodwill. Please free us from Windows.

    Leave a comment:


  • replied
    Originally posted by Tomza View Post
    Is this the only problem? What IDE do you use for C++ programming?
    It's the only real problem I have. The CodeLite IDE works well for code, but there's an ini file that has to be edited to enable it. See this page, about halfway down. The section, C++ projects and IDE's, explains the changes made. After that, enable the plugin inside the editor, and you should be good to go. Also, see this thread.

    Leave a comment:


  • replied
    Originally posted by Gwenn View Post
    It's just preventing us from using the marketplace. Which we would like to, since it's starting to have good content now.
    Is this the only problem? What IDE do you use for C++ programming?

    Leave a comment:


  • replied
    Originally posted by Tim Sweeney View Post
    Looking beyond convenience, is the lack of a Linux launcher blocking any critical functionality for game development with UE4? Developing workarounds may be more practicable than building a fully compatible launcher.
    It's just preventing us from using the marketplace. Which we would like to, since it's starting to have good content now.
    Last edited by StrangerGwenn; 01-01-2016, 07:25 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • replied
    Originally posted by Tim Sweeney View Post
    Looking beyond convenience, is the lack of a Linux launcher blocking any critical functionality for game development with UE4? Developing workarounds may be more practicable than building a fully compatible launcher.

    Marketplace!!! HELLLOOOO.... are you seriously saying that you guys haven't been paying attention to what we've been asking for, for over a year now? is this that first class treatment we were promoised? Guess, I need to look into Unity again /sigh

    Leave a comment:


  • replied
    Originally posted by kirk.clawson View Post
    I've literally just started working on Linux. Only had the source on that box for a day, so I'm sure I'll find other things as I go, but I'm trying to get it to work with CLion.
    Try CodeLite:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHj9...brFyo8Vd3xj4IE

    Maybe it's a better solution than CLion is.

    Leave a comment:


  • replied
    I've literally just started working on Linux. Only had the source on that box for a day, so I'm sure I'll find other things as I go, but I'm trying to get it to work with CLion.

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X