Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unreal launcher for linux ?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #61
    I notice a weird attitude from most of the linux users in this topic on this forum and I feel a little weird. This is not the FOSS spirit and please pay attention to this. You should all respect the fact that free open source software is not only free by all means, but it is also free to have, which maybe is actually the only thing you care but simultaneously forget. You should appreciate it and welcome it to the linux world. Get mature with linux and a good start is to appreciate what you have been given.

    Now I am personally against the "launcher" idea, I consider all kinds of launchers completely useless and one of the reasons is because I only see them as a temporary solution from a development team. There are much more wise ways to get content than having to run multiple things. In the case of linux especially, if the UE developers would like to do something right, they would approach the repositories and completely change the way the website is locked to a launcher and idiotic (pardon me for the word but if you were Greek you would know what it means and not consider it a bad word) approaches. So free it if you want to free it. Do not hold it from one wing and think you have it out free.

    A last thing to mention is the obvious, not because all my systems run linux, from servers to desktops, but because most of the people that do real hard work and development already know that linux is not only the future of gaming, but the future of computing. The more you understand it the more you know why you should trash windows.

    congratulations to the EU team, keep up and enjoy the summer,
    George

    Comment


      #62
      You can compile and run UE Server, Game, Client and the Editor natively in Linux. You can also cross-compile content for Linux on Windows ie. cook and package your projects for Linux platform. Presently there's no way to cross-compile content for Windows on Linux.

      Comment


        #63
        Hi, there is a way to cross compile Windows content from Linux, I actually co-authored a toolchain for cross compiling Windows program (32 bit and 64bit) from Linux 64bit. We employed MinGW for that but I dont know how well it works for games, I would not recommend it either, but hey, its just shows its possible to compile Windows apps in Linux.

        Comment


          #64
          If you can't port the Launcher to Linux, at least give the possibility to download pre-built binaries for UE and UT...
          But, if you can't do that, how is UE able to produce Linux builds of games then?
          But again, if UE is able to produce Linux builds of games, how can't you build the Launcher in the same way?

          Anyway, given the latest words of distrust about UWP and Microsoft, shouldn't you push (open) alternatives more?
          Thanks

          Comment


            #65
            [MENTION=35]Tim Sweeney[/MENTION]

            Tim, you told me that there were too many Linux packaging formats to make the binary UE4 on Linux, but now we have Snappy/Flatpak that should be implemented in most Linux distros. The problem has been solved I think.
            Last edited by Tomza; 08-02-2016, 06:04 AM.

            Comment


              #66
              Anybody can just compile UE4 and then have the binary, I even compiled UE4 on Ubuntu once and then copied the binary I built and it still ran on a Fedora box.

              Linux culture isn't the same as Windows culture, Linux users usually aren't afraid to compile from the source and there are workarounds for most of the problems discussed here.

              What UE4-Linux really needs right now is people using it, building games with it and saying "I made this on Linux". I tested UE4-Linux for a few hours and had no problems with it, but that's not the same as a smaller developer actually making professional games talking about how they leveraged their costs by integrating UE4-Linux developer workstations into their workspace. The launcher doesn't really do anything either, a bug fix on the launcher won't affect a bug in the UE4, I think the elephant in the room here is that people just aren't as confident in using UE4-Linux as they could be and a UE4-Linux-Launcher would give them more (superficial) confidence in doing so.

              Right now it's up to the community and individual developers to use UE4-Linux so that they can trigger the bugs that the developers can fix.
              Play my games @ itch.io! :: http://dazpetty.itch.io/

              WWW.DAZPETTY.COM
              3D Artist, Level-Designer, Blueprints'er.

              Comment


                #67
                How to I install Unreal engine for Mint 18? Has anyone compiled the engine for a noob like me?

                Comment


                  #68
                  Originally posted by Neurocase View Post
                  What UE4-Linux really needs right now is people using it, building games with it and saying "I made this on Linux". I tested UE4-Linux for a few hours and had no problems with it, but that's not the same as a smaller developer actually making professional games talking about how they leveraged their costs by integrating UE4-Linux developer workstations into their workspace.
                  +1... Dead on!

                  Originally posted by Neurocase View Post
                  The launcher doesn't really do anything either, a bug fix on the launcher won't affect a bug in the UE4, I think the elephant in the room here is that people just aren't as confident in using UE4-Linux as they could be and a UE4-Linux-Launcher would give them more (superficial) confidence in doing so.
                  The Marketplace is one key area that comes up a lot....
                  Even to download Epic freebees you need the launcher!

                  Originally posted by Neurocase View Post
                  Right now it's up to the community and individual developers to use UE4-Linux so that they can trigger the bugs that the developers can fix.
                  Sure! But what we need to see is vendors supposedly-hurting-from-PC-recession, shipping gaming rigs with Linux installed!
                  Why pay more for Win-10 only to torch it! But I fear the vendors would pollute these Linux builds with Bloatware/Trialware.

                  Comment


                    #69
                    Originally posted by Neurocase View Post
                    Anybody can just compile UE4 and then have the binary, I even compiled UE4 on Ubuntu once and then copied the binary I built and it still ran on a Fedora box.

                    Linux culture isn't the same as Windows culture, Linux users usually aren't afraid to compile from the source and there are workarounds for most of the problems discussed here.

                    What UE4-Linux really needs right now is people using it, building games with it and saying "I made this on Linux". I tested UE4-Linux for a few hours and had no problems with it, but that's not the same as a smaller developer actually making professional games talking about how they leveraged their costs by integrating UE4-Linux developer workstations into their workspace. The launcher doesn't really do anything either, a bug fix on the launcher won't affect a bug in the UE4, I think the elephant in the room here is that people just aren't as confident in using UE4-Linux as they could be and a UE4-Linux-Launcher would give them more (superficial) confidence in doing so.

                    Right now it's up to the community and individual developers to use UE4-Linux so that they can trigger the bugs that the developers can fix.
                    yes, maybe the Launcher and the binary version isn't SO big problem for most Linux users. However, I have one question to you: Could I build my game for different OSes than Linux using UE4 on Linux?

                    Comment


                      #70
                      However, I have one question to you: Could I build my game for different OSes than Linux using UE4 on Linux?
                      Yes, but you need to be in the appropriate OS when building most games, such as being on a mac to build for a mac. As far as blueprints and most game content is concerned it is as easy as copying those files. C++ can be tricky on Linux but it's not impossible, although I wouldn't say it's feasible to code C++ on linux for most developers unless they are already have a really good understanding of linux, unlike a level-designer who wouldn't really notice a difference based on the OS.


                      How to I install Unreal engine for Mint 18? Has anyone compiled the engine for a noob like me?
                      Yes, you'll work it out and like most problems in linux the fastest way to get an answer is to google a few tutorials, then go on freenode IRC, and try the relevant channel (such as: #UE4Linux). Compiling UE4 on linux is no different to most of the problems people have on linux, quite regularly, if you are new to linux then you should see this is a good exercise.
                      Play my games @ itch.io! :: http://dazpetty.itch.io/

                      WWW.DAZPETTY.COM
                      3D Artist, Level-Designer, Blueprints'er.

                      Comment


                        #71
                        Originally posted by Neurocase View Post
                        Yes, but you need to be in the appropriate OS when building most games, such as being on a mac to build for a mac. As far as blueprints and most game content is concerned it is as easy as copying those files. C++ can be tricky on Linux but it's not impossible, although I wouldn't say it's feasible to code C++ on linux for most developers unless they are already have a really good understanding of linux, unlike a level-designer who wouldn't really notice a difference based on the OS.
                        But in Unity you can be on one OS and build for all OSes. Isn't it possible in UE4?

                        Comment


                          #72
                          Unreal has a different architecture (one that gives you more access to the engine). When you build your game, it's built with the engine as one executable, so you would need to be able to build Windows, Mac executables on Linux, or the other way around. It's not easy to do.
                          Helium Rain, a realistic space opera

                          Comment


                            #73
                            But in Unity you can be on one OS and build for all OSes. Isn't it possible in UE4?
                            I can't speak for Unity, but I strongly doubt that it's cross compile features would work as smoothly at scale or with C++.

                            As for, Is it possible? As James Guana said:

                            Hi, there is a way to cross compile Windows content from Linux, I actually co-authored a toolchain for cross compiling Windows program (32 bit and 64bit) from Linux 64bit. We employed MinGW for that but I dont know how well it works for games, I would not recommend it either, but hey, its just shows its possible to compile Windows apps in Linux.
                            There is a difference between something being possible, and something being feasible. Personally I never managed to get C++ projects working in linux, although others have. If you already have a good understanding of C++ and Linux you might be able to get it working, but you would not be able to ask a developer without Linux experience to operate on that workstation. In contrast an artist who already uses FOSS programs like gimp and krita isn't going to notice any major differences by transitioning to a Linux computer. In my experience most new people who want to code C++ in UE4 vastly underestimate the power and capability of blueprints, but that's another story for another thread.


                            This guy got codelite on Linux with auto-complete working: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRKEIUoQBYw .
                            Last edited by DazPetty; 08-03-2016, 04:50 AM.
                            Play my games @ itch.io! :: http://dazpetty.itch.io/

                            WWW.DAZPETTY.COM
                            3D Artist, Level-Designer, Blueprints'er.

                            Comment


                              #74
                              Originally posted by Neurocase View Post
                              I can't speak for Unity, but I strongly doubt that it's cross compile features would work as smoothly at scale or with C++.

                              As for, Is it possible? As James Guana said:



                              There is a difference between something being possible, and something being feasible. Personally I never managed to get C++ projects working in linux, although others have. If you already have a good understanding of C++ and Linux you might be able to get it working, but you would not be able to ask a developer without Linux experience to operate on that workstation. In contrast an artist who already uses FOSS programs like gimp and krita isn't going to notice any major differences by transitioning to a Linux computer. In my experience most new people who want to code C++ in UE4 vastly underestimate the power and capability of blueprints, but that's another story for another thread.
                              OMG, always problems! Why can't we just run software on Linux and enjoy it? Linux is a powerful platform without Windows or OS X bloatware. UE4 is the only software I will be forced to run on Windows. It's a disaster!

                              Comment


                                #75
                                OMG, always problems! Why can't we just run software on Linux and enjoy it?
                                Cross-Compiling C++ code is seldom an easy task and it includes both legal and technical challenges, which is part of the reason why languages like Java exist. I haven't tried it, although You might even be able to package your UE4 game within a Windows Virtual Machine using the the command line: https://wiki.unrealengine.com/How_to_package_your_game_with_commands .

                                It's a disaster!
                                It's not a disaster, it's pretty bloody good actually. You can create your games as you normally would and then when you are ready to package your project (to windows), put it in your dropbox and get someone on windows to package it and send it back to you so you can distribute to windows clients. Prior to UE4's Linux support there was no way to make a decent 3D game on Linux, we've come a long way with Leadwerks, Unity3d and UE4 being available.

                                All these things are superficial or have simple workarounds, we really just need people using UE4-Linux, reporting bugs and helping to improve the core UE4-Linux-Editor, I found a bug on Linux whereby it would crash when trying to auto-generate collision meshes, I reported it and in the next release it was fixed. Software development at this level is a collaboration between the user and the developer, and we need users finding and reporting bugs similar to fore-mentioned bug I found.
                                Play my games @ itch.io! :: http://dazpetty.itch.io/

                                WWW.DAZPETTY.COM
                                3D Artist, Level-Designer, Blueprints'er.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X