Unreal launcher for linux ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DanielBennifer View Post
    It seems like the only true complaint here is the lack of access to marketplace content? Wouldn't making the content downloadable from the browser sort this issue? Then you could drop it into your project manually. Seems like that'd sort it out, without the need for the launcher?
    And an easy installation of UE4 on Linux? Why do we have to use the workarounds and tricks to get our favourite game engine installed in our favourite operating system? It can be difficult for many users. Not all Linux users are geeks.

Comment

It seems like the only true complaint here is the lack of access to marketplace content? Wouldn't making the content downloadable from the browser sort this issue? Then you could drop it into your project manually. Seems like that'd sort it out, without the need for the launcher?
      Well that would be much better than asking a friend to download your assets (using your own credentials) so that he can upload them back to you through dropbox or something. Which is what we're doing in our team.
      Helium Rain, a realistic space opera

Comment

Originally posted by Tomza View Post
        And an easy installation of UE4 on Linux? Why do we have to use the workarounds and tricks to get our favourite game engine installed in our favourite operating system? It can be difficult for many users. Not all Linux users are geeks.
        Don't get me wrong, I understand that. Though, I was commenting on the fact that it appeared a big gripe people had was the lack of access to the learning material, sample content and so forth. Whereas, the potential solution I provided would have fixed that, in the interim.

Originally posted by Gwenn View Post
        Well that would be much better than asking a friend to download your assets (using your own credentials) so that he can upload them back to you through dropbox or something. Which is what we're doing in our team.
        That's what I had assumed, as well. It also, technically, shouldn't be hard to accomplish. Then again, that's down to Epic. Not me =P

Comment

Don't get me wrong, I understand that. Though, I was commenting on the fact that it appeared a big gripe people had was the lack of access to the learning material, sample content and so forth. Whereas, the potential solution I provided would have fixed that, in the interim.

That's what I had assumed, as well. It also, technically, shouldn't be hard to accomplish. Then again, that's down to Epic. Not me =P
          I really appreciate all developers and their hard work in providing us with such an amazing tool like UE4. Also, I know many features are waiting for being included in UE4. It's great to see how UE4 is improving. Now, it's a more friendly for beginners and people who joined from other engines such as Unity 3D (like me). The only thing that needs more work is C++ (I mean documentation). I know the thread is about UE4 on Linux, but I wish to say that I am aware of many more important things to do than making the full-fledged Linux version. But Unity Team have the same problems and in spite of that they made a binary Linux version. It's still experimental, but thousands users use it. Other thousands have been waiting for UE4 on Linux for a long time. Most of them are afraid of compilation and playing with settings, so they use the Windows or Mac version. I'm not afraid and can compile UE4 on Linux, no problem, but it would be great to run the launcher and just click to get UE4 running on my openSUSE. Is it really so hard to make the Linux binary version for one distro, let's say Ubuntu? Just the same way like Unity 3D? Soon, I'm going to start making a huge and complex 3D application (not a game) with UE4 and I don't know what to do. Is the Linux version of UE4 ready for a full production? Or it's too early and it's better to stick to the Windows version?

Comment

While I can obviously only speak for myself, this is the impression I have. Marketplace access seems to be the biggest issue. It is for me. I've suggested making downloads from the webpage many months ago in response to a question on AnswerHub, but was told that it would require too much work, and that we were better off continuing to hold our breath for the official launcher (paraphrasing). Good thing I'm not a breath-holder.

Comment

Originally posted by Kronykus View Post
              While I can obviously only speak for myself, this is the impression I have. Marketplace access seems to be the biggest issue. It is for me. I've suggested making downloads from the webpage many months ago in response to a question on AnswerHub, but was told that it would require too much work, and that we were better off continuing to hold our breath for the official launcher (paraphrasing). Good thing I'm not a breath-holder.
              Why workarounds? It makes no sense. It is wasting of time and human work. We need to get the similar experience that we have when running UE4 on Windows. The launcher, marketplace and clicks to start our favorite game engine on our favorite operating system. that's all. Please do it for Ubuntu only and allow the Linux communities to change it for other distros. I don't think there's much work to do.

Comment

Why workarounds? It makes no sense. It is wasting of time and human work. We need to get the similar experience that we have when running UE4 on Windows. The launcher, marketplace and clicks to start our favorite game engine on our favorite operating system. that's all. Please do it for Ubuntu only and allow the Linux communities to change it for other distros. I don't think there's much work to do.
                I do agree with your sentiment, but as Tim said above, this isn't a priority for them, and likely won't be for 2016. In the meantime, being able to dl from the website would be beneficial. While not the ideal outcome, it's apparent making us "first class members of the family" was more market-speak than any indication of real intentions, making the workaround the best we can hope for any time soon...

Comment

Originally posted by Kronykus View Post
                  I do agree with your sentiment, but as Tim said above, this isn't a priority for them, and likely won't be for 2016. In the meantime, being able to dl from the website would be beneficial. While not the ideal outcome, it's apparent making us "first class members of the family" was more market-speak than any indication of real intentions, making the workaround the best we can hope for any time soon...
                  Every improvement in running UE4 on Linux is welcomed! I know I have to accept Epic Team's decisions but at the same time there's hope they will change their mind. But ok, to have an access to the Marketplace stuff, I can temporarily accept downloading from website. UE4 installation on Linux must be fully functional. I haven't tested it yet, but the lack of possibility of using Marketplace seems really not a good thing.

Comment

I would like to chime in WRT to accessing marketplace content on Linux.

After playing with the UE4 editor, I was pretty excited to try mess with some sample content, so I tried to get it from the marketplace. Unfortunately, I found that I could only do so via the launcher.

What I don't understand is why the launcher is a necessity for grabbing marketplace content. Personally, I think that, when I get home, I am going to sniff the launcher's traffic on a VM to figure out where to nab content from.

Comment

How does the Unity Editor under Linux compare? I've never managed to get that working properly here, but I'm curious to know if its asset store is accessible from the Linux version. Certainly this line "The asset store window cannot be docked into the main editor window" on their release notes thread - http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/uni...issues.350256/ - makes it sound promising.

Frankly, I was surprised to see Unity Technologies even making the effort to port their editor to Linux. But it appears that they may have (slightly) more interest in seeing the editor working on the platform than Epic does with UE4. Its marketplace is important, and keeping it out of the reach of Linux users comes across as cutting of their nose to spite their face.
                      Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.

Comment

Originally posted by Sslaxx View Post
                        How does the Unity Editor under Linux compare? I've never managed to get that working properly here, but I'm curious to know if its asset store is accessible from the Linux version. Certainly this line "The asset store window cannot be docked into the main editor window" on their release notes thread - http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/uni...issues.350256/ - makes it sound promising.

Frankly, I was surprised to see Unity Technologies even making the effort to port their editor to Linux. But it appears that they may have (slightly) more interest in seeing the editor working on the platform than Epic does with UE4. Its marketplace is important, and keeping it out of the reach of Linux users comes across as cutting of their nose to spite their face.

Unity Technologies made the effort because they had been under our strong pressure. We wrote the script for running the Unity 3D Windows version on Linux and this topic was very hot on the Unity forum for a long time. They saw how many people wished to use Unity 3D on Linux. Unity Team's love to Linux seems false. Only two people work over Unity 3D on Linux and Windows 10 is being promoted all the time. I don't use Unity 3D any more because UE4 is much better for my job, but hopefully the project will be developed for other users who run Linux on their computers. The binary version is really good and is improving all the time. My dream is Epic Team will do the same with UE4.

Comment

Unity Technologies made the effort because they had been under our strong pressure. We wrote the script for running the Unity 3D Windows version on Linux and this topic was very hot on the Unity forum for a long time. They saw how many people wished to use Unity 3D on Linux. Unity Team's love to Linux seems false. Only two people work over Unity 3D on Linux and Windows 10 is being promoted all the time. I don't use Unity 3D any more because UE4 is much better for my job, but hopefully the project will be developed for other users who run Linux on their computers. The binary version is really good and is improving all the time. My dream is Epic Team will do the same with UE4.
                          Oh, I have no illusions about Unity Technologies harbouring any love for Linux, have no fear of that, though it's amusing they have double the number of people working on Linux than Epic. It's just that they made a bit more effort than Epic have with their Asset Store which I noticed.
                          Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Sweeney View Post
                            We're not working on a Linux launcher. We're doing a lot of high-priority platform work which will take precedence over any consideration of this for most of 2016 before we have a chance to reevaluate. It's actually a harder problem to solve on Linux than PC/Mac because the binary compatibility differences on Linux are more extreme.

Looking beyond convenience, is the lack of a Linux launcher blocking any critical functionality for game development with UE4? Developing workarounds may be more practicable than building a fully compatible launcher.
                            Hi Tim,

What exactly are you referring to when you mention binary compatibility differences? It's a common misconception that a program compiled on one distro won't run on other distros - on the contrary, it usually runs just fine. If you are referring to different versions of system libraries present, then yes, that can happen.

However, in the case of a large piece of software like Unreal Engine, you could simple redistribute most libraries with the engine - Steam, for instance, commonly does this both for itself and applications provided through the software.

As for the launcher, without an official distribution method for both marketplace assets, the engine itself and related learning assets, the engine comes across as a strictly hobbyist program meant for those who live their lives inside a terminal (a description which, I admit, hits home for a lot of Linux users, but one that certainly isn't representative of the engine's target audience). Having an official launcher on Linux would improve adoption considerably for those who don't like handling the source code of the engine, or fiddling with compile-time quirks that would not be present in a binary build.

In any case, something which would solve a lot of the aforementioned issues would be to simply pick a distribution and solely develop and support for that distribution. It will eliminate any potential problems with library versioning (an issue I would argue is largely nonexistent) and allow Epic to have stable knowledge of what will and won't be present on the system, greatly reducing development complexity. This is not just in terms of a launcher, but for the engine as a whole.

Personally, I'd suggest Ubuntu as the default distribution - it's one of the most common distros out there. It's often the first distro people come in contact with, and it's the default distro for many other gaming projects, such as Steam. Not only that, but Ubuntu has a number of derivations which support the exact same functionality, many of which hold a large installation share in the Linux world (Linux Mint, all the *buntu variants, etc).

Other distributions will, in all likelyhood, be able to run the engine - there simply won't be any official support for them.

Apart from the above, what sort of high-priority platform work are you referring to? It's always interesting to hear about what's going on behind the scenes
                            Last edited by Jargon; 01-12-2016, 11:45 AM.
                            Talk to me on qTox: E8FF4A2B55C2C3A8BC7B60F729E8884BF95CEB4FE8906AE76F5941B08E73066AF562A26C280B
                            Stalk me on the IRC: jarl or jargon
                            Need a launcher for your games? Check out Launchpad

Comment

This thread is from 2014, it's 2016 now. Any luck installing stuffs from marketplace so far? I mean guys, it's been 2 years. It doesn't have to be the marketplace launcher way. Maybe download from the website and import them somehow. Shouldn't be hard I think...

Comment

Any chance the Epic Games Launcher source could get rolled into the UE4 repo or made its own repo on GitHub, and just allow the Linux Developers to build it themselves like they do the Editor?
                                Last edited by amhagan; 01-29-2016, 06:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X