Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I play sound to 8+ channels?

Hi,

For a special setup I would like to play sound to 8 channels, plus possibly a subwoofer.
    The 8 speakers will be placed inside all corners of a cube surrounding the listener.
    So we have:
    left-front-upper
    right-front-upper
    left-front-lower
    right-front-lower
    left-back-upper
    right-back-upper
    left-back-lower
    right-back-lower

Can I somehow control this with UE4?

I hope someone can advise me on this.

UE4 supports 7.1 output natively from the engine. However, there currently isn't a way to map sounds to discreet hardward outputs. The way I set up a surround space in-game is to place audio actors at coordinates around the player's position that mimic the surround positions. Also, LFE control is handled by the LFE Bleed setting in the SoundClasses; if you want audio to hit the LFE channel, create a new SoundClass with 100% LFE bleed. Hope this helps.
    Best-
    Zak
    Zak Belica
    Audio Director, Epic Games

Comment

Thanks Zak,

Do I understand correctly that I can setup several audio actors (at different positions) and that I can map outputs from these actors to individual audio channels?

Comment

Correct, that's how I do it. In fact, I set up a blueprint with the audio components XYZ offset to the correct positions, and then play back surround content that way. Since it's a blueprint, you can drop it in anywhere and make it instanced.
        Best-
        Zak
        Zak Belica

Comment

Hi Zak,

Maybe I misunderstood you. Isn't an audio actor mend to play pack audio only? I would like to place sort of microphones around the player that matches the positions of the speakers in my audio setup. Then let UE4 determine the sound picked up by each microphone individually and route that to my 8 channel output device (for the 8 speakers in mu setup).

Is that possible?

Comment

Alas, direct device channel outputs are not currently available in UE4. This is a requested feature though, so it will be coming in the future.
            Best-
            Zak
            Zak Belica

Comment

Originally posted by ZakBelica View Post
              Correct, that's how I do it. In fact, I set up a blueprint with the audio components XYZ offset to the correct positions, and then play back surround content that way. Since it's a blueprint, you can drop it in anywhere and make it instanced.
              Best-
              Zak
              Hi,
              so am I correct in thinking that this
              https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest...ichannelimport
              does not work at the moment ? I tried it and I'm not hearing anything ?
              Is there a timescale for when this might get implemented ?
              Cheers,
              R.

Comment

Originally posted by billystupid View Post
                Hi,
                so am I correct in thinking that this
                https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest...ichannelimport
                does not work at the moment ? I tried it and I'm not hearing anything ?
                Is there a timescale for when this might get implemented ?
                Cheers,
                R.
                My mistake - it does work, just had naming convention incorrect. But if this does work then why are you building your own blueprint to do what appears to be the same thing ?
                Cheers,
                R.

Comment

Hi, I just wanted to check in on this and see if discrete audio channel addressing has been implemented yet.

Comment

I'd like to know too. Are discrete channel outputs coming to UE4 soon?

Comment

*bump* I would also like to know if discrete channel outputs are coming? I have an 8-speaker cube array same as the OP.

Comment

also quite interested in this; it seems there are no options to configure any output channels

Comment

The question i think all us "normal people" are asking , will a surround sound setup make it possible to hear from where rockets are shooting at you ?

Btw , im not very researched in surround sound my math says that 4 speakers should be enough to create a cubic sound vector system by placing them as if the head was in the middle of a tetrahederon , where the corners of the object are speakers directed torwards the center ... ? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetrahedron

Comment

Has there been any progress on this ?

we're looking at a 16 channel output if possible.

Matt Hermans
                            Electric Lens Co
                            www.electriclens.co

Comment

+1 Sending multi-channel audio out of an interface would be extremely useful.

Comment

Working...
                              X