Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Geomerics Enlighten Finally supports UE4

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #31
    Enlighten is an awesome technology. But there is really no price for a license or something else. A bit disappointing. Does anybody know if VXGI will be implemented in the Unreal Engine 4 till the end of the year? NVIDIA told that. But there is no statement from EPIC to this topic. For this reason I have no hope that this feature will be coming. Baking Lightmaps takes too much time.
    Last edited by Maxwell_77; 10-30-2014, 11:20 AM.

    Comment


      #32
      Originally posted by Errvald View Post
      And you have a source for this?
      Here they talk about a lot of Enlighten stuff--while it's in Unity, everything applies to how it would work in any other engine.
      http://blogs.unity3d.com/2014/09/18/...on-in-unity-5/

      Here's what they say about doors (dynamic objects)
      Q: Can I do opening of doors and gates?
      A: As discussed above authoring systems and scripting the exchange of bounce between systems depending on the door or gate will solve this in some cases.
      Which isn't clear exactly what their solution is.

      Originally posted by Visual Designs View Post
      Enlighten is an awesome technology. But there is really no price for a license or something else. A bit disappointing. Does anybody know if VXGI will be implemented in the Unreal Engine 4 till the end of the year? NVIDIA told that. But there is no statement from EPIC to this topic. For this reason I have no hope that this feature will be coming. Baking Lightmaps takes too much time.
      Epic does not want to integrate anything that only works on one GPU brand, so if it only works on Nvidia graphics cards then they aren't interested in adding it. They said it's something they would consider if it has enough platform support, but there's other things they'd have to work out with Nvidia like how the code would need to be in the available source and stuff like that. At the moment it doesn't seem like they're particularly interested in pursuing it.

      Comment


        #33
        Originally posted by darthviper107 View Post
        Here they talk about a lot of Enlighten stuff--while it's in Unity, everything applies to how it would work in any other engine.
        http://blogs.unity3d.com/2014/09/18/...on-in-unity-5/

        Here's what they say about doors (dynamic objects)

        Which isn't clear exactly what their solution is.
        In the UE video the lamp seems to be movable though.

        Comment


          #34
          It is, but it's not using GI, it's using regular light probes.

          Comment


            #35
            Originally posted by The_Distiller View Post
            Since Unity provides Enlighten GI out of the box without additional cost, hopefully Epic will do the same to be on par with them in that regard.
            I certainly hope Unity includes it for free with a $1,500 asking price. Meanwhile, the $20 that the UE4 costs clearly wouldn't cover something like that.

            Comment


              #36
              While cool, I don't like the limitations much.

              I'd be happy getting the last little bits of what Lionhead has for LPV (I forget what it was, something about light injection or something to do with the sky?).
              Storyteller - An immersive VR audiobook player

              Dungeon Survival - WIP First person dungeon crawler with a focus on survival and environmental gameplay ala roguelikes

              Comment


                #37
                There's not much that's going to improve LPV

                Comment


                  #38
                  Please anyone help me. I don't want to ask answerhub for now.

                  I wanted to mimic the feel of the video of Enlighten. So I started fiddling with LPV. I don't know if Lionhead solution is implemented or not and how to access and what is it about and how different it is from UE4 default LPV. I followed these tuorials:

                  https://wiki.unrealengine.com/Light_...ion_Volumes_GI

                  https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest...mes/index.html

                  And this video to make a dynamic sun to create the dynamic light for dynamic GI:

                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oni6TG2DXnk

                  I made coloured BSPs and I chnaged the time and colours and I got these results:

                  http://imgur.com/a/VGQnS

                  And I tried to do that in the same from the video aka Architecture by changing the Directional Light like in the tutorials and I got this: The sunlight going through the red curtain and diffusing reddish light almost like the video:

                  http://i.imgur.com/qiC6YMe.jpg

                  But when I tried to do the same in the map no light that has the flashlight tied to the player, I couldn't even find how to change its light like in the tutorial to make it behave like the video forcing it to diffuse red when I orineted the flashlight towards the curtains

                  http://i.imgur.com/6troVKM.png

                  Please help to set the flashlight to create dynamic GI using what is proposed within UE4( I hope the trick doesn't work only for directional lights like the sun otherwise we are doomed). Thanks

                  Comment


                    #39
                    LPV can't produce results like Enlighten, the detail isn't there and it doesn't actually cast shadows with the secondary bounces.
                    In your case, the issue is that LPV isn't supported on spotlights, currently it's only supported with directional lights and emissive textures. And ultimately it's not going to give good results for interiors.

                    Comment


                      #40
                      Originally posted by darthviper107 View Post
                      LPV can't produce results like Enlighten, the detail isn't there and it doesn't actually cast shadows with the secondary bounces.
                      In your case, the issue is that LPV isn't supported on spotlights, currently it's only supported with directional lights and emissive textures. And ultimately it's not going to give good results for interiors.
                      Oh I see. And what about the Lionhead solution you integrated? What does it consist in? I read it is a dynamic GI.

                      Comment


                        #41
                        I don't work for Epic, as far as the stuff with Lionhead--LPV is their solution, the only thing that they have that isn't currently in UE4 is skylight injection(so that not all light comes from the directional light). That's it, the only thing thing they may add to LPV is cascades, right now you can only define a specific area size that uses LPV, which is bad for interiors because to get better quality you have to make the size smaller since the resolution is fitted to the size, but anything beyond that distance doesn't get any LPV and interiors often end up black from that, cascades would allow it to use a lower resolution area outside of the main area so that while it wouldn't be good quality, at least there would be some effect there.
                        But, even if you shrink the LPV size very small to see the quality it is still very poor quality. It will never be a very good dynamic GI solution. For UE4 the most likely fix is with Distance Field solutions, right now can do shadows and AO, they are looking into how they can use it to do 1 bounce GI and it would give much better results than LPV though still not as good as their original SVOGI solution or Nvidia's VXGI.
                        At the moment it looks like VXGI is the best solution, it gives quality results but performance is better than stuff like SVOGI

                        Comment


                          #42
                          Originally posted by darthviper107 View Post
                          It is, but it's not using GI, it's using regular light probes.
                          I have it right in front of me, after geometry pre-cache is completed you can move lights and it's dynamic GI. That's pretty much what Enlighten does, what it's always done.. If you change a shader, it has to re-cluster the whole thing and if you move a static mesh it also has to re-compute the whole thing.

                          The only advantage Enlighten brings to the table is you can move lights about at free will when it's done it's geometry pre-cache.

                          As for LPV, it's fine for a quick cheap solution.. It looks great in CryEngine, we know it'll never be a real time photon mapping or RT solution..
                          Last edited by ShadowKindGames; 10-31-2014, 01:25 AM.

                          Comment


                            #43
                            Originally posted by ShadowKindGames View Post
                            I have it right in front of me, after geometry pre-cache is completed you can move lights and it's dynamic GI. That's pretty much what Enlighten does, what it's always done.. If you change a shader, it has to re-cluster the whole thing and if you move a static mesh it also has to re-compute the whole thing.

                            The only advantage Enlighten brings to the table is you can move lights about at free will when it's done it's geometry pre-cache.

                            As for LPV, it's fine for a quick cheap solution.. It looks great in CryEngine, we know it'll never be a real time photon mapping or RT solution..
                            I was talking about the lamp mesh itself, which since it's moving can't use the dynamic GI. The light that's attached to it can.

                            Comment


                              #44
                              Originally posted by PLASTICA-MAN View Post
                              Oh I see. And what about the Lionhead solution you integrated? What does it consist in? I read it is a dynamic GI.
                              That is LPV :P

                              Anyway, for me, Enlighten seems cool but I imagine the licensing probably isn't attainable for hobbyists or small indie devs, and thus not too interesting. I'm more interested in solutions which don't involve proprietary plugins and email-to-ask licenses.
                              Storyteller - An immersive VR audiobook player

                              Dungeon Survival - WIP First person dungeon crawler with a focus on survival and environmental gameplay ala roguelikes

                              Comment


                                #45
                                Originally posted by darthviper107 View Post
                                I don't work for Epic, as far as the stuff with Lionhead--LPV is their solution, the only thing that they have that isn't currently in UE4 is skylight injection(so that not all light comes from the directional light). That's it, the only thing thing they may add to LPV is cascades, right now you can only define a specific area size that uses LPV, which is bad for interiors because to get better quality you have to make the size smaller since the resolution is fitted to the size, but anything beyond that distance doesn't get any LPV and interiors often end up black from that, cascades would allow it to use a lower resolution area outside of the main area so that while it wouldn't be good quality, at least there would be some effect there.
                                But, even if you shrink the LPV size very small to see the quality it is still very poor quality. It will never be a very good dynamic GI solution. For UE4 the most likely fix is with Distance Field solutions, right now can do shadows and AO, they are looking into how they can use it to do 1 bounce GI and it would give much better results than LPV though still not as good as their original SVOGI solution or Nvidia's VXGI.
                                At the moment it looks like VXGI is the best solution, it gives quality results but performance is better than stuff like SVOGI
                                Voxel GI is still a terrible memory burden, which makes its utility very limited in practice.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X