Geomerics Enlighten Finally supports UE4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The_Distiller View Post
    Since Unity provides Enlighten GI out of the box without additional cost, hopefully Epic will do the same to be on par with them in that regard.
    You forgot, that Unity has a much higher price.

Comment

Oh ****, now Unity 5 is DOA...
      | Savior | USQLite | FSM | Object Pool | Sound Occlusion | Property Transfer | Magic Nodes | MORE |

Comment

What's DOA? Dead on arrival?

Comment

Originally posted by The_Distiller View Post
          Since Unity provides Enlighten GI out of the box without additional cost, hopefully Epic will do the same to be on par with them in that regard.
          I'd rather Epic works on a solution that avoids all the issues that Enlighten has, like their original SVOGI or Nvidia's VXGI

Comment

Anyone know how they're dealing with reflections in this scene? Are they relying just on SSRR or are the reflection probes being updated in real time?

I'm hoping they release it as a plugin for sub-$200/year.

Comment

On last stream Daniel Wright said that (in his personal opinion), distance field based GI is the best shot at having dynamic GI in UE4.
              Though I have some doubts about it. Like:
              1. It will probabaly be only one bounce. Even if technique could in theory support more then..
              2. We are limited on distance at which distance fields can be traced, so it limits us to single bounce.
              So we would need at least two more complimentary GI techniques like:
              SSDO for screen space GI (small range)
              And something for more large scale GI, that will reach beyond 3 meters.

In anycase it's hard to say where exactly issues with precomputing GI with enlighten lies, as Geomerics do not share any details how their tech work.
              https://github.com/iniside/ActionRPGGame - Action RPG Starter kit. Work in Progress. You can use it in whatever way you wish.

Comment

Wow... That is amazing. Wow...

Comment

I'm wondering why there are no real informations ??? They just throw out the demo "which is really cool" but what about some informations? Release? Price? techical informations ? maybe even free integration to UE4 ? etc... etc....
                  I just checked Enlightens webpage, there are also 0 informations..... I'm curious about the twitch stream tomorrow, hopefully they will bring us some informations....

Comment

Originally posted by iniside View Post
                    In anycase it's hard to say where exactly issues with precomputing GI with enlighten lies, as Geomerics do not share any details how their tech work.
                    The preprocessing is where it has to make low-detail meshes of all of the level geometry, it does it automatically. In Unity there are currently other limitations based on things like light types that they haven't implemented yet, the biggest limitation to me is that it doesn't work with moving objects. For the most part that's not a problem for people, but for instance that's a very big problem for doors, where it can use a probe to fake the lighting of the area but the lighting inside and outside the door can be extremely different and then the probe effect doesn't work since it doesn't take that into account.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowKindGames View Post
                      Cover the terrain in a lightmass importance volume.. I never actually finished baking a terrain with Enlighten, I gave up ..
                      Thanks for the advice but I always use an importance volume, unless there's another technique where you use two?

Comment

I thought I'd find you in this thread

This is pretty cool stuff, I've seen the logo on their website for quite some time so I guess it wasn't long before this happened.. We'll end up with multiple DGI solutions at this rate! Mind you that indirect lighting looks insanely overpowering. Look around at your rooms right now and tell me if that's how it looks...

Enlighten is single-bounce right? Wonder how it behaves with the reflections. I also wonder how dynamic it really is, especially for moving objects. Moving lights is one thing... skeletal meshes are another.

Comment

Originally posted by TheJamsh View Post
                          I thought I'd find you in this thread

This is pretty cool stuff, I've seen the logo on their website for quite some time so I guess it wasn't long before this happened.. We'll end up with multiple DGI solutions at this rate! Mind you that indirect lighting looks insanely overpowering. Look around at your rooms right now and tell me if that's how it looks...

Enlighten is single-bounce right? Wonder how it behaves with the reflections. I also wonder how dynamic it really is, especially for moving objects. Moving lights is one thing... skeletal meshes are another.
                          It doesn't work with dynamic objects

Comment

Originally posted by darthviper107 View Post
                            It doesn't work with dynamic objects
                            Supposedly, in the current version *some* dynamic objects can contribute to the indirect lighting. That's not the version Unity licensed, however.

Comment

Originally posted by RPotter View Post
                              Supposedly, in the current version *some* dynamic objects can contribute to the indirect lighting. That's not the version Unity licensed, however.
                              It's unclear what all they can do with dynamic objects, it definitely can't render fully dynamic GI like it does with everything else. Currently it doesn't do any of those things, it just uses a dynamically updating probe for those objects, just like UE4 does already.

Comment

Originally posted by darthviper107 View Post
                                It's unclear what all they can do with dynamic objects, it definitely can't render fully dynamic GI like it does with everything else. Currently it doesn't do any of those things, it just uses a dynamically updating probe for those objects, just like UE4 does already.
                                And you have a source for this?

Comment

Working...
                                X