19$ a month, cool, but for how long?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

19$ a month, cool, but for how long?

How long do we have to pay 19$ (20.71$)? A year? Two? I've pondered this, but I only have a summer job so long term payments aren't possible.
    Portfolio Here

1) You only have to pay once to get access. They have on their FAQ that you may keep that build of the engine/source and release upon it.
    2) $20.71 a month is a steal. You should be kissing Tim's feet.
    3) Long term typically means longer than a summer. You will find other jobs. Maybe even a career.
    About Me | JavaScript and UE4 | Exodus | Code Notes

Comment

You can pay for it in the first and the last months of your summer job(if you want the updates, otherwise you can stick with the first one), and then buy again whenever you are able to/want to.
      FREE Lightshow
      FREE VR Drum Kit Project

FREE Color LUT Collection
      FREE Physics Driven Spacecraft Project
      FREE GTA Style Vehicle Interaction
      Dynamic DoF(Depth of Field)
      Camera Crossfade

Comment

I didn't intend to sound complainy I know how much of a beautifully good fricken deal this is. So as I understand it I pay once for access but pay more for updates?
        Portfolio Here

Comment

You pay once for access, and if you continue the sub you get any updates that come out that month. If you skip a month, you get the current updates, not the ones you missed.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel.Wenograd View Post
            You pay once for access, and if you continue the sub you get any updates that come out that month. If you skip a month, you get the current updates, not the ones you missed.
            Are you referring to updates to the engine, or to the marketplace? If it works like UDK you should get the updates you missed, why would you not?

Caldera Entertainment | Twitter | ArtStation

Comment

As soon as you resubscribe, you will get the latest version and it will contain all the updates you have missed.

Comment

If you are on a budget what you can do is subscribe for the first month then keep an eye out for the upcoming release notes.. if it interests you then you can re-subscribe and update.. if not then you can wait until the next update so you don't have to pay for the months in between.
                Of course that assumes you don't care about having constant access to the marketplace.

4.10 Update! -> [Community Project] WIP Weather & Ocean Water Shader
                WIP Interactive Water Shader, WIP 2D Water Sim
                WIP FFT Ocean w/ Foam, Quad-tree Infinite Ocean LOD

Comment

I just wish to clarify that updates are cumulative. So if you choose to cancel your subscription (and receive no engine updates during that time), when you do renew your subscription later you will receive the latest update which also includes all previous updates.
                  Stephen Ellis | Senior Engine Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Ellis View Post
                    I just wish to clarify that updates are cumulative. So if you choose to cancel your subscription (and receive no engine updates during that time), when you do renew your subscription later you will receive the latest update which also includes all previous updates.
                    How can you guys survive on this model? I do not really understand this.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuro1n View Post
                      How can you guys survive on this model? I do not really understand this.
                      They make something call "video games" that's their primary income stream the engine subscription stuff is probably secondary.
                      TOUR of DUTY

Comment

Most of their profit comes from the bigger studios that license the engine. They will also get some money from the smaller developers who complete a game and the people who are on subscription. Having the engine available like this means that many people get experience using the engine, and if there's a lot of people experienced with the engine then bigger studios are more likely to license the engine because it will be easier to hire people who know how to use it.

Comment

Originally posted by SonKim View Post
                          They make something call "video games" that's their primary income stream the engine subscription stuff is probably secondary.
                          They don't release that many games though, look at the list. I think this somehow must be their primary income, probably through royalty at a later point. Still, seems like too good of a deal to be true.

Originally posted by darthviper107 View Post
                          Most of their profit comes from the bigger studios that license the engine. They will also get some money from the smaller developers who complete a game and the people who are on subscription. Having the engine available like this means that many people get experience using the engine, and if there's a lot of people experienced with the engine then bigger studios are more likely to license the engine because it will be easier to hire people who know how to use it.
                          Good point, kind of how other software devs do with their softwares, making sure it is well established. I'm not so clever today.

Comment

You only have to look how much money some of these companies are making from some really, really basic mobile phone apps. The income some of these games are generating borders on ridiculous. I certainly don't mean this with any disrespect to epic but it's obvious they are trying to tap into some of that market too. Flappy birds (this is just one of many examples) was reported to be making up to 50k a day, if that was made with UE4 under the subscription thing epic are getting 2.5k a day in commission. Doesn't sound a lot to a very large company but you multiply that by X many games that are powered by UE4 and it adds up very quickly. I don't know what the current numbers are for UE4 users but you also multiply that by a bare minimum of $19 and that adds up fairly quickly too. Go take a look what the company behind candy crush is worth, the income generated by a game like that for epic (if it happened to use UE4) would be nothing to be sneezed at. If you ask me it's an unreal (pun fully intended lol) move.

Comment

Sorry,

but i´ve noticed, that my windows firwall complains if i bake lightmaps in my scene and i get some text messages, that "swarm" computing is going on. Is there any "cloud" in the background- so i can not even bake my scene if my subsciption has expired?

thx rob

Comment

Working...
                              X