Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2D Game Creation: Unity or Unreal Engine 4?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Note: You can integrate any advertising provider into UE4. You have access to the full source, and there are a couple of example advertising providers we ship with that would serve as a good jumping-off point in implementing a different SDK.

Cheers,
    Michael Noland

Comment

Has anyone actually made a finished 2d game with Unreal Engine that has experience using Unity? I'd like to hear from someone who's had experience with both what his/her viewpoints on 2d game creation with both engines are. In my opinion, Unreal Engine wins hands down when it comes to 3D and other things (source code, blueprints, shaders, etc.) but I'm really undecided with 2D game development. I'd like to try both, but recently I haven't had much free time left on my hands to mess around with both. I'd like to start with one and stick with it. I know much of it is the developer's preference, but there still has to be a difference in development speed. I'd like to know if UE4 is on par or greater than Unity, which has been around for quite a while, in contrast to Unreal.

Thanks!

Comment

Technically much of the UE Paper2D stuff is still flagged as experimental, and it's not too hard to run up against bugs in it. But that said, it's not stopping me from developing my prototype. I am worried about the package size of the mobile apps.

Comment

I used unity3d 3-4 years ago (when i was 13 years old ) . unity3d in 3d game is'nt good you can not create good shaders or use highpoly model and ... But in ue4 you can . ue4 us very powerful than unity3d or cryengine i use cryengine , ue4 and unity3d and i can say ue4 is best game engine in 3d
          Ue4 2d is not good than unity . perhaps because ue4 is new game engine . unity3d in 2d is very easy and powerful . 2d physics , joint and etc is very important i can not say ue4 in 2d physics is good
          In my opinion if you want to create only 2d game ue4 and unity not good for you . in create 2d game gamesalad is best engine . more than 80% of appstore top games created with gamesalad you can create game speedly and also it is just for 2d game and it have all action that you need for create your own game
          I and my friend use 3d game engine for 2d game because we want to create 2d and 3d game for mobile . sorry for my english
          I can not find any document for integrate ad to my game in ue4 and also iap
          Thanks

Comment

Has anyone actually made a finished 2d game with Unreal Engine that has experience using Unity?
            We (http://shortbreakstudios.com/games.html) are finishing one game (iOS/Android) should be live in 3-4 weeks from now. Will post post mortem after the release.
            Last edited by intoxicat3; 02-24-2015, 12:14 PM.
            How to create first person shooter game from scratch. Lots of tutorials: http://www.shootertutorial.com - celebrating 50th Tutorial!

My Marketplace Assets

Comment

hi, any guides out there for unreal engine 4 paper2d..
              about using z layer?.. something like the rpgmaker series layers?..

something about depth illusion in 2d..
              like overlapping 2d actors..
              or in front or behind the walls..

Comment

Originally posted by yanzco View Post
                hi, any guides out there for unreal engine 4 paper2d..
                about using z layer?.. something like the rpgmaker series layers?..

something about depth illusion in 2d..
                like overlapping 2d actors..
                or in front or behind the walls..
                Hi there - I emailed the answer (As you asked via email) but I will work on a more detailed response and will post it here.
                KITATUS
                "Information shouldn't be behind a paywall, It should be free for all!"

Comment

Originally posted by KitatusStudios View Post
                  Hi there - I emailed the answer (As you asked via email) but I will work on a more detailed response and will post it here.
                  hi there!, thanks for replying, ill check it out when i get back home

Comment

Here's the video - Hope it helps!

KITATUS

Comment

Cool video!
                      A little but off-topic, but what kind of micro do you use? (you have an incredible sound quality)

Comment

Originally posted by fighter5347 View Post
                        Cool video!
                        A little but off-topic, but what kind of micro do you use? (you have an incredible sound quality)
                        It should be even better quality than it is; Just waiting for the pop filter so I stop getting the harsh highs that make the audio a bit muffed :P But it's a Snowball Ice connected to an arm stand
                        KITATUS

Comment

It should be even better quality than it is; Just waiting for the pop filter so I stop getting the harsh highs that make the audio a bit muffed :P But it's a Snowball Ice connected to an arm stand
                          Ok, thx for the info

Comment

watching it right now.. thanks a lot for this kitatus.

~dot dot..
                            Last edited by yanzco; 08-22-2015, 09:31 PM.

Comment

My opinion : Scratch

Just kidding XD

I recommend you to use Unity for 2D games and UE4 for 3D games.

Comment

As a beginner can I start building my first game as 3d

Comment

Working...
                                X