Displacement results not as desired

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Displacement results not as desired

I am a beginner still in UE4 and Blender. One Blender to UE4 house asset was fantastic, but it used parallel occlusion. The SUV addon for Blender in that course was very, very good for me to deal with correct texturing. Anyway, I am stuck with trying to get displacement correctly working for bricks and roof tiles.

Is it better to separate the roof from the house?

I watched many youtube tutorials, 1 course Blender, 1 course UE4 and one combined course. For this part stuck. If I understand this, I could move on to create all buildings correctly and move on to decal. Help would be very much appreciated.

Try using only the red channel on your height map.

Comment

switch your As and Bs on your first two multipliers... mine is a mat function, but it is basically the same

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by northstar View Post
        switch your As and Bs on your first two multipliers... mine is a mat function, but it is basically the same

It doesn't matter whether or not it's on A or B as it's multiplication: AxB=C BxA=C. You will still get the same results either way. The problem is he has to change the height map to only the red channel as that's where the displacement data is stored.

Thorn, do this:
        Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture.JPG Views:	0 Size:	5.1 KB ID:	1801918
        Last edited by NoticeableScout; 08-17-2020, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Thanks a million! I have tried the suggestions. Click image for larger version

Name:	Height map red channel.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	577.3 KB
ID:	1803886

Comment

Some improvements, but it just might be my roof mesh or brick mesh now the main issue. I'll create a new roof mesh separated from the building and try it again.

Comment

I've started and completed this course today Learn Displacement and Parallax Mapping for UE4 from Udemy. It was well worth the tener.

One roof tiles done parallel Occlusion and one with Tesselation
              Attached Files

Comment

Blueprint. I changed tesselation from Flat to PN Triangles plus tick box for crack free displacement, which gaps it creates without this option 'fills' the gaps togheter. The teacher of this course explained very well what bump, parallel occlusion and tessalation good purposes and how they work.
                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                X