X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Skylight shadows rendering problem

Hello,

Im having this issue with Skylight.

I put it in my scene and it somehow upon baking, it messes up the shadows of only my wall assets, the rest of the assets in the scene seem ok.

Black patches all over basically, as if lightmap resolution got screwed up.

Yet, this does not happen when baking with any other light sources, and all my lightmap resolutions for these sections are either 512 or 1024.

I also put a lightmass importance volume box around my scene, it didnt fix it.

If you have anyone has any ideas with this, it would be of great help !!

Thank you

Here is a photo of the normals direction for the corner wall section to the right, just to get that possibility in the clear also.
    Attached Files

Comment

Is the scene using Mesh Distance Fields, Ambient Occlusion, and/or Global Illumination (in the post process volume)?

Comment

Originally posted by presto423 View Post
        Is the scene using Mesh Distance Fields, Ambient Occlusion, and/or Global Illumination (in the post process volume)?
        None of the above, i wasnt using a post process volume box. Should i use one ? And with what settings ?

Comment

Yeah, a post process volume box, set to Unbound (it's further down in the list of settings, under Post Process Settings). So, the size of the box could cover a certain volume of space in the level and with Unbound set its settings affect the entire level. Placing two or more can be useful to get particular effects from the ones that aren't Unbound (must be higher priority than the Unbound one to override or mix with its settings). To get a mix of the settings of two or more PPVs, set to the same priority and use Blend Weight and Blend Radius, depending on the intended results.

For the initial, Unbound, PPV...enable (place a check in the checkbox) Ambient Occlusion, and try setting it for your scene to 100 Radius, and 0.75 intensity. If it's too much occlusion, or not enough, increase and decrease those two values and see results. Don't use the Advanced results until getting substantially accurate results with the Radius and Intensity first. That's what I suggest, at least.

For Global Illumination, simply increase Indirect Intensity a bit per change of it (0.1 intervals or so). It may require a larger amount of value change to see the effect, but remember to enable the settings in order to change the values. In most, but not all, cases...the settings need to be enabled in order to get results and have the effects. Certain ones create an effect even if the setting(s) aren't enabled though. You'll be able to notice it when first putting the PPV in the scene and setting it to Unbound. But Unbound is necessary to get it to affect the skylight lighting, and directional light lighting. Mesh Distance Fields are turned on via Project Settings > Rendering, about halfway down the list or before (in 4.24.3). It could be further down the list or higher up in 4.25.

What is the Build Quality (Preview, Medium, High, Production)? If it's at Medium or Preview, it could a part of the cause of the artifacts on the walls. Set High or Production, and also ensure Scalability settings are High or Epic. It varies with the project, the materials and models used, and computer specs somewhat, I think. I was just having the issue with artifacts like those in the photo on certain surfaces, mostly vertical now that I think about it, in a mostly empty level with the starter table and chairs and a small floor. It was reduced with a PPV and enabling Ambient Occlusion and changing the settings some, and increasing directional and skylight Intensity. There's a way to use Atmospheric Fog to dim or brighten things when changing the main lights' Intensity values, and without drastically altering the scene's look. Check in about how the changes I suggested and anything else affect things, and I'll share what I know of the Atmospheric Fog.

Comment

Working...
          X