Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Launcher performance - consistently very laggy...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Launcher performance - consistently very laggy...

Hi,

The engine is working great (4.25.1), but I'm having really poor performance doing anything in the Launcher. It really feels like it hasn't been profiled for performance in it's current version.
    It doesn't seem to matter which part of the Epic Games launcher I'm in, e.g. Unreal Engine, any tab; or the Store etc. It's constantly doing *something*, though i have no idea what.

Here's an image to show you what it's like, and it's like this all day from the beginning to the end or even after a reboot.

Click image for larger version

Name:	EpicLauncher-usage.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	1782236

Whilst the CPU percentage (11.4) doesn't seem very high, that doesn't prevent the Launcher operating as if stuck in a tar pit

Thanks,
    Sabre.

p.s. I wasn't sure where to post this. Feel free to ask me to post it elsewhere! Thanks.

I have a similar issue with the Launcher. Sometimes I try to open it and it opens the window, but not the interface of the whole thing. When it's open, it's slow, and almost every action / click lags frequently.

Comment

The Launcher is so dumb and awful, its almost like an 'IQ-Test' from Epic.
      Don't leave it running while you work and don't use it for managing assets....
      After Downloading Engine / Marketplace packs, just disable it, that's easy...
      It has privacy / security issues too. Epic don't ever bother to address this!

Comment

Thanks for the information. But I should like to add that the launcher is the FACE of Epic as a company to most end users! It's not just people like me. If you want to continue growing the userbase of the store by giving away free games that's great - but how many people are being put off using something so "laggy"?

Comment

In Slate every single graphic component can "tick".
          I bet that is in the root of why this launcher run so poorly.

Epic should ditch this solution and rebuild with QtCreator instead.
          | Savior | USQLite | FSM | Object Pool | Sound Occlusion | Property Transfer | Magic Nodes | MORE |

Comment

Originally posted by llll Sabre llll View Post
            Thanks for the information. But I should like to add that the launcher is the FACE of Epic as a company to most end users! It's not just people like me. If you want to continue growing the userbase of the store by giving away free games that's great - but how many people are being put off using something so "laggy"?
            You're preaching to the converted dude. No one from Epic cares or even follows the forums anymore. Launcher CPU glitches have been going on for years. Lots of devs have raised the very same points before, all to the deafening tone of <Tumbleweed>... Also, with the success of Fortnite, users have shown up here to see what game dev is all about, only to be baffled by the hands-off attitude of the-corp-behind-the-biggest-game-in-the-world!!! Especially as between 2014-2016, Epic were anything but...

While the Launcher and the Forums may be the face of Epic to us... Epic's paying customers face a different reality, namely: UDN + On-Site-Training from Epic reps. Sure, some lowly techs at partner firms may have to deal with Launcher BS. But once a binary build is downloaded, the Launcher is no longer required whatsoever. So most corporate end-users will be completely oblivious. Plus lots of shops have their own internal builds anyway.

But what's interesting to take away from all of this maybe, is that Epic management don't see any $$$ in Indies anymore. This is actually quite a significant U-Turn. Its a very different business model from the likes of Facebook for example, where all the billions earned (from selling hate ) are actually micro-transactions! That's a very telling / sobering point regarding the future of Indie Game dev imo... Terrifying actually, if you think about it...

Originally posted by BrUnO XaVIeR View Post
            In Slate every single graphic component can "tick".
            I bet that is in the root of why this launcher run so poorly.

Epic should ditch this solution and rebuild with QtCreator instead.

Does SysInternals->ProcMon reveal anything interesting when the Launcher is at Max CPU...

...Anyone...???
            Last edited by EntrpriseCustomr; 06-30-2020, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X