No announcement yet.

UE5 is coming ~ What do you want?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My most wanted feature is official c# support.

Comment

while I'm hyped about the shown features I have mixed feelings about the approach. the easy migration of projects from UE4 to UE5 is very appealing but suggests this is a fork of UE4 without any architecture changes so it's a missed opportunity to remove old/deprecated features without looking back and restructuring the core and renderer with real modularity in mind (which UE4 devs have been wanting for a while but have been unable to do).
      it also suggests it will carry over many/all of the UE4 problems (i.e. device being lost: HUNG)

if I were to want something from a full new UE5 these would be my takes:
      • to separate most/all the engine modules from the current monolithic structure into real plugins. I don't need all the virtualproduction/archviz/VR/etc bloating not just the tools but also the runtime performance.
      • ECS architecture
      • a real Vulkan renderer with proper performance improvements (hint: Doom Eternal)
      • an extensible render pipeline like Unity is doing so we can do render/lighting/etc changes without modifying the engine. proper support for shader plugins. support for Compute Shaders out of the box within the editor
      everything else is bonus for me as UE4 is already great. of course one can always ask for QoL and performance improvements.

also funny thing, in a nutshell the reveal was about greatly improved graphics with realtime GI. I was instantly reminded of the UE4 reveal, which in a nutshell was exactly that
      Last edited by Chosker; 05-13-2020, 03:31 PM.
      Follow me on Twitter!
      Developer of Elium - Prison Escape
      Local Image-Based Lighting for UE4

Comment

Some middle language / scripting. Don't care if it's C#, ShookumScript or whatever, but being able to code gameplay logic with fast compile times and in-editor well integrated framework API.

Comment

A forum update too? What's next, wiki reinstated?

Comment

I hope they change the Ui, it's kind of dated.

Comment

#1.
              Originally posted by DamirH View Post
              I'd be the happiest person on the planet to be proven wrong on my skepticism but this REALLY sounds too good to be true.
              Not sure what to make of the news either, but I'd be the happiest person on the planet if they added planetary terrain or the ability to actually make planets...

#2.
              Originally posted by paul1489 View Post
              Some middle language / scripting. Don't care if it's C#, ShookumScript or whatever, but being able to code gameplay logic with fast compile times and in-editor well integrated framework API.
              Tim Sweeney often hints about being on a path to the metaverse. But Blueprints are still limited. So here's hoping they get first-class status. The infamous Sweeney reddit thread confirms scripting is coming and will affect everything Epic does for a decade or more. But what's that going to look like...

Will it offer a simple fully integrated environment like UDK had before? A real replacement to C++ for game devs who want to focus on MAKING GAMES - not becoming platform coders versus application developers etc. C++ is great for creating engines, but its hardly the right language to get us to the metaverse.

A whole new paradigm shift or abstract higher level language is needed. Will UE5 usher in a whole new form of scripting that goes way beyond shooters, which is what the engine is still largely about. How about bringing in more emotioneering to video games too? That seems more geared towards to what the metaverse is about.

#3.
              Originally posted by Kea View Post
              I hope they change the Ui, it's kind of dated.
              Maybe / maybe not... Sometimes tech firms get a little bit too creative. Then you end up with something like the Ribbon from MS Office. Talk about painful and switching over from UDK was painful enough! For game dev you'd like to see enhancements or new functionality that make sense, not just change for the sake of change...
              Last edited by EntrpriseCustomr; 05-13-2020, 08:03 PM.

Comment

Just one wish: please keep the realtime global illummination tech from the announcement trailer in the final engine release this time!
                So don't let Lumen go the way of the dodo like SVOGI. Also make sure it can run properly on PS5 style hardware, as advertised, then I'm happy.

Comment

Originally posted by Everynone View Post

Granted. Everyone makes an MMO and the oversaturated market collapses onto self, destroying the internet. Thanks Bruno. :|
                  At least this way I won't have to wait for years until a Korean MMO comes to the west
                  | Savior | USQLite | FSM | Object Pool | Sound Occlusion | Property Transfer | Magic Nodes | MORE |

Comment

I hope they adjust to the physics of cars

Comment

Oh, let me give another fantasize wanted, I said it once before: As an Apple fans I hope UE5 cound rebuild with Swift and running on the iPad Pro which is ARM architecture, HoHoHo...

Comment

If I can make wishes, then full DX12 support in the shader compiler and a choice between Material Editor and writing materials directly in HLSL. Come on, that's reasonable!

Comment

Originally posted by paul1489 View Post
                          Time to bring back UnrealScript!
                          My portfolio www.thebladeroden.com

Comment

1. Proper Multiplayer Origin Rebasing to allow bigger online game worlds like Arma 3
                            2. Old Tone Mapper Glow to create better neon effects that are not washed out
                            3. Improved BP to c++ Nativization

Comment

Normal documentation and tutorials.
                              In the 4.2x docs many dead links...

Comment

Double-precision floating-point for physics and everything else
                                Unreal Meetup Franken - Unreal Engine 4 Meetup
                                Hands for VR - Space HDRI Skyboxes [Marketplace]

Comment

Working...
                                X