Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Would I Approach this Project with the Unreal Engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Would I Approach this Project with the Unreal Engine?

Hey everyone,

I am brand new to the Unreal Engine, and looking for some different approaches using UE4 to the general idea explained below.

I am a student worker at my university in an emerging technology maker space, which houses many student projects (VR art projects made in Google Tilt Brush, for instance). The school has been offered a grant from Epic to use the Unreal Engine on projects, and one of the things we were thinking of was having a mixed reality experience where there would be an AR portal to house each student project. So you would put on an Oculus Quest, be able to walk around a small space into 3-4 different AR Portals that have different VR student projects on the other side. To simplify the problem, I just want to know if it would be possible to make this work for even one Google Tiltbrush project. So you'd have an AR Portal and on the other side enter the Tilt Brush project.

I know this isn't typically what Unreal Engine is used for, and I couldn't find too much information about Unreal's mixed reality options, but I figured it couldn't hurt to get some feedback from this forum. Also, an alternative would be an entirely VR experience where the AR environment in the previous approach is just recreated in VR, if that would be more conducive to UE4. Also, I am open to other avenues such as using ARKit to accomplish a similar end goal. If you feel that you give an estimated timeframe for your approach, that would be very helpful (assume I am the only person working on this, have no experience wit UE4, but do have a good amount of coding experience including C++). Lastly, what kind of specs would your approach call for?

Any feedback/insight is greatly appreciated!

EDIT: Devices I have access to are Oculus Quest, Oculus Rift, HTC Vive.

Thanks.
    Last edited by decisions-; 02-14-2020, 05:22 PM.

That would not work, Oculus Quest does not support AR in any way, and there may be limitations that would prevent you from launching another app from within a different app. So if you made something in Unreal for the Quest you wouldn't necessarily be able to have something in there launch something that was made in Google Tiltbrush since they are separate apps.

Comment

Working...
    X