Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will upgrading Windows OS corrupt/damage UE4 Projects?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    I haven't had a problem with updates in Windows 10, I have Metered connection set (setting your connection to metered will prevent updates since it assumes you have limited download bandwidth). You just disable metered connection when you decide you have time to get updates.

But I think it's going to be a good idea to install it on a clean formatted drive rather than trying to upgrade from Windows 7

Leave a comment:

• replied
    ^^ THIS ^^ feels like a whole lot of work.... Like having a second job as a tech admin if you have to do it yourself... But its worth doing.. Or at least it used to be... Not sure it makes as much sense now, when Windows-10 makes a dev box into a moving target... There's frequent posts here on the forums showing how forced Win10 updates have BORKED engine installs and broken dev projects (do a search). That was never a risk with Win7.... So what can you do about it? Not much unless you're on LTSB, or can keep delaying updates by tweaking the metered connection settings or using 3rd-Party tools indefinitely, none of which are 100% reliable...

The only option remaining is to airgap rigs, which isn't practical for most people (but would help protect dev work from the likes of crypto-malware etc). Then there's the whole surveillance economy side which has gotten Microsoft into deep trouble in Germany / Holland. Overall though, game rigs need stability, so if nothing else purge every possible piece of bloatware / crapware / spyware from start-up-apps / scheduled tasks / Services.msc / Runonce keys / DLLhost (Com launched processes) etc etc. Win10 has way more updaters / phone-home telemetry apps than Win7 ever had. But the good news is, UE4 will work completely offline if you need it to...
    Last edited by EntrpriseCustomr; 01-08-2020, 12:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Every time i reinstall or upgrade my windows, i use new harddrive (or new SSD recently).
    Install new windows on new SSD, then install unreal editor, then create dummy project so editor can create all folders etc. Then copy your game project over to new editor instance.
    If this does not work you can always dual boot old windows until you fix it under win10.

HDDs or SSD are quite cheap, and anyway you should have system and unreal editor on 2 separate SSDs. Preferable M.2 if your motherboard supports those.

Dont go cheap on storage quality and speed for development, those wasted minutes on slower HDD add up quickly to hours that you waste waiting for stuff to be compiled, saved etc.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    It's best if you do a clean install when upgrading an OS, so if you can, take your project folders and put them somewhere else than the drive you want to install Windows on, erase the drive and install Windows 10 rather than doing an upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and then copy your files back over. You'll have to reinstall UE4 after that.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Had 2 very different experiences. Upgrading from a mid-range GTX to higher-end GTX desktop-hybrid went fine (both engine and project folders copied over intact). Once the first-run shader compiling / creation of DDC was complete, it was game on (this is an older Win10 build btw).

Second time out, not so lucky... Upgrading to RTX laptop FAILED outright.... See here... UDK runs fine and UE4 packaged games too, but the editor itself crashes as detailed in the thread. Both Win10 machine are airgapped, so installing symbols and visual studio isn't an option right now. Meantime, waiting for a stable engine release to see if that will fix it. BTW: Updating or rolling-back drivers / limiting CPU cores / TDRLevel reg hacks haven't helped fix this so far...

Leave a comment:

• Will upgrading Windows OS corrupt/damage UE4 Projects?

So i'm planning on upgrading my PC from windows 7 to 10. One thing that has kept me from doing this is i'm afraid the upgrade will corrupt or somehow make my current UE4 game projects unreadable, like scattering texture files and such. Does anyone have any experience or recommendations on this?
Working...
X