Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Planning for PlayStation 5 and the next gen Xbox console (ninth generation consoles) from 2020

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Planning for PlayStation 5 and the next gen Xbox console (ninth generation consoles) from 2020

Hi! Is Unreal Engine being developed for the the coming of new generation of consoles? Sony has announced that the PlayStation 5 is available for consumers by late 2020, so I guess developers should be able to get their hands on a devkit pretty soon? Do us "normies" have to wait until after the release of the console to start making games for it? Cheers

This information is probably already known by Playstation Devs registered at Sony, since the UE4 dev kit for Playstation is only available for UE4 devs already registered at Sony. Keep in mind also that this subject is under NDA while the console is not out and you won't heard anything outside Sony's appropriate channels. Epic won't give information here since they are also under NDA.
    Nilson Lima
    Technical Director @ Rigel Studios Ltda - twitter: @RigelStudios
    Join us at Discord: https://discord.gg/uFFSEXY

UE4 Marketplace: Cloudscape Seasons
    supporting: Community FREE Ocean plugin

Comment

It probably already works on the new consoles, but would need some API updates for their features and services. But yeah, you'll have to contact Sony/Microsoft to work with them if you want to develop something for those new consoles, otherwise you'll have to wait for more info

Comment

That's awesome, I can't wait to see what them graphics will look like

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyKid88 View Post
          That's awesome, I can't wait to see what them graphics will look like
          Most likely not very different than what you see nowadays, it all boils down to art direction, unfortunately these days I can't tell a newly released game from the one 6 years ago. For instance the last of us 2 still looks better than most games coming out today and I wasn't sure if i were looking at COD modern warfare 1 or 2 when the latest trailer of that upcoming game came out.

So yea, a few extra polys here some more reflections there isn't cutting it in this generic age of AAA video games, I put my bet on good indie games on a budget and emphasis on art and clever ways around limitations.

When a boss fight at the end of "inside" had me scratching my head in awe from both technical and artistic point of view than any AAA super budget I played since then, goes to say a lot.

Comment

Working...
          X