Aaaagh! This is so painful!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aaaagh! This is so painful!

I picked up UE4 a few years ago and couldn't make any progress with it due to the (imo) clunky UI and my inability to patiently import models from blender (into substance painter, into ue4.. not even mentioning all the pain that involves). I reinstalled it since I thought maybe I had matured with my workflow a bit. I still haven't made any progress. Should I just give up?

Yep, just look how bad dev are looking, do you really wan't to become a fat nerd, siting at a desk for the whole day, having only virtual friends, and when you die just thinking how much time you lost on virtual and sensless things.

Comment

If you think, UE4 is bad you should see CryEngine. It makes me cry. LOL
      Seriously, though, look through the documentation, and tutorials.

If this engine is still too much to navigate through, look at Unity3D. It has a much simpler UI, but in the end, I find it more difficult to make a game with.
      Check out my itch.io page, I'm really excited about it.
      https://kinos141.itch.io/

Please check out my AI package: Action AI System Feat. Stealth
      https://www.unrealengine.com/marketp...m-feat-stealth
      or get it from itch
      https://kinos141.itch.io/action-ai-system-feat-stealth

Comment

Originally posted by I Am A Bread View Post
        I picked up UE4 a few years ago and couldn't make any progress with it due to the (imo) clunky UI and my inability to patiently import models from blender (into substance painter, into ue4.. not even mentioning all the pain that involves). I reinstalled it since I thought maybe I had matured with my workflow a bit. I still haven't made any progress. Should I just give up?
        So let me get this straight, you are able to tolerate Blender's UI but have trouble in UE4?

Comment

Originally posted by William K View Post

So let me get this straight, you are able to tolerate Blender's UI but have trouble in UE4?
          To be fair, Blender 2.8 UI is waaaaay better than <=2.7

Comment

Originally posted by TriNityGER View Post

To be fair, Blender 2.8 UI is waaaaay better than <=2.7
            Yea tried it, its better but they have to do much more if they are willing to attract long time Max Maya users.

Comment

When you need to stick two softwares together, you really ought to just toss together the most simple assets so you can nail down any compatibility issues. Substance Painter and UE4 really want your meshes to have pre-existing materials with names so they can divide up material IDs. UE4 really wants your skeletal meshes to have all bone hierarchies to be parented to one master bone. Substance painter really wants your collection of meshes to be laid out in a line (this is meant for mesh kits rather than multi-material meshes), UE4 wants all objects at the origin. etc.

What specific issues are you having?

Comment

Yea tried it, its better but they have to do much more if they are willing to attract long time Max Maya users.
                There is a Blender UI plugin to mimic Maya UI...

Comment

This is a completely subjective opinion. I love Blender 2.7s UI and cannot stand Maya / Maxs UIs.

And i love how Max / Maya users love to hate on Blender, as if their opinion is fact. Pretty bigoted to be honest.

Can't we just accept that some people like Tea and some people like Coffee. - That doesn't mean that Coffee is bad, it just means that different people have different preferences.

Last edited by DyotoOrion; 08-12-2019, 01:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DyotoOrion View Post

This is a completely subjective opinion. I love Blender 2.7s UI and cannot stand Maya / Maxs UIs.

And i love how Max / Maya users love to hate on Blender, as if their opinion is fact. Pretty bigoted to be honest.

Can't we just accept that some people like Tea and some people like Coffee. - That doesn't mean that Coffee is bad, it just means that different people have different preferences.
                    Sorry but up until Blender 2.79b the UI was a really huge mess. Now with 2.80 the UI got much better although still not perfect at least it is user friendly. Now the expensive commercial ZBrush UI is pretty weird and outdated more than really bad BUT it has so advanced algorithms that make it better than other software for sculpting and that is the reason why it became used professionally everywhere.
                    Blender is free but many of its algorithms are not that advanced compared to commercial software and that is the reason why buying plugins for Blender makes sense, there are many pretty cheap that can improve the Blender workflow a lot and not just for sculpting.
                    Blender UI plugins allow to avoid making use of complex shortcuts no one really can memorize and that have always been a huge waste of time for doing basic stuff. Bforartists 2 plugin for Blender 2.80 or the Maya UI mimic plugin can ease things to anyone serious about using Blender in a professional way.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkS474 View Post

Sorry but up until Blender 2.79b the UI was a really huge mess...

...Blender UI plugins allow to avoid making use of complex shortcuts no one really can memorize and that have always been a huge waste of time for doing basic stuff. Bforartists 2 plugin for
                      Blender
                      It's just your opinion mate. Not fact.

I love Blenders UI - been a Blender user for 12 years - and use pretty much all the Keyboard Shortcuts, which I have memorised and massively speed up my workflow.

I'm not saying you're not entitled to your opinion. If you don't like Blenders UI - no probs. But it's not cool to talk about it as if that opinion of yours is fact inside the Max / Maya user Echo Chamber.

Comment

Why not say "Hey - I don't personally like Blender's Shortcut Key system - I prefer a GUI. But hey maybe some people like it and find it good"

But instead you say "Blender's Shortcut Key system is a mess and a waste of time."

As if this was a world wide accepted fact among all 3D Artists.

That's your opinion. Not fact.

Comment

Why not say "Hey - I don't personally like Blender's Shortcut Key system - I prefer a GUI. But hey maybe some people like it and find it good"

But instead you say "Blender's Shortcut Key system is a mess and a waste of time."

It is a fact for anyone that is serious on his/her job and doesn't like wasting time with messed up UI and mechanics that oblige to waste a lot of time.
                          The Autodesk UIs are not excellent, far from that..and their expensive software is full of bugs too but do know why they became used by most professionals for movies CGI and games worldwide? Ease of use and powerful scripting. In fact commercial scripts for Autodesk products are more useful than the sofware alone itself and are used to both solve limitations of the software and to speed things up a lot at creating anything.
                          The same goes for Blender and commercial plugins. Not using useful cheap commercial plugins for Blender is not wise. Wasting time with its limitations is nothing good for any serious use.
                          Then relying on a single software to do everything is not smart anyway. Models can be imported/exported without much trouble between most software packages, sometimes there are issues but still it is worth doing that to achieve creating models quicker.

Comment

I get were you are coming from, But this is not a subjective matter. It is a hard established factual mistake clearly made and later somewhat admitted by the blender lead decision makers themselves.

Max and Maya and before them Softimage, (hell even that monster Houdini) all came first and established the rules and the basic navigation and control schemes, in doing so an entire generation (the same generation that created and established not only these tools but the industry itself) used these tools and made them the standard for all to follow.

In comes in Blender in early 2000's, with the only opensource software to have the potential to really make a difference! Takes one good look at the established norm and decides to go full 180 against the tide for no reason I could think of other than autism, in doing so it alienates most established professionals to even consider it.

Come 2019 and they sort of finally realize that after nearly 20 years of serious development on the software that they now must consider improving navigation and UI in order to attract the established crowd! But now it is this big conundrum, because by trying to fix this one thing it runs to break another, hence alienate the established Blender crowd who are used to the current UI.

The future is yet to be seen. And this is coming from someone who hates with a passion Autodesk's handling and acquisition of these great trio of software Godfathers (Max, Maya and Softimage)

The only reason Zbrush gets away with its clunky interface is by being a sculpting software as a primary function which limits its learning curve to one thing only. It is manageable, coming from Mudbox it took me a few days to get used to doing that one required aspect of the process to a level were it became second nature. Not a deal breaker but then again Zbrush is another software designed by autistic developers, it was never meant to be a 3d sculpting tool either, it started off as some weird 2d splash gadget that looked like a freeware from the late 90's:

Last edited by William K; 08-12-2019, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkS474 View Post

It is a fact for anyone that is serious on his/her job and doesn't like wasting time with messed up UI and mechanics that oblige to waste a lot of time.
                              So what you're saying is is I've been wasting my time using Blender, and I should really be using Max or Maya - cos yeah they are just better...

Are you aware that there are 3D Professionals working all over the world using Blender - And yes even 2.79 - so its not like its just become a thing since 2.8. Even some of the guys at Epic are using Blender- and I know plenty of 3D Artists at game companies who use Blender. So yeah all these guys were just wasting their time.

Some people like Blenders UI and find it faster, more intuitive and easier to use than Max / Maya. - I happen to be one of these people.

Your opinion that Blender's UI is messy and a waste time is just wrong - in my opinion!

Please don't confuse opinion with facts. Not everyone has the same workflow as you.

Comment

Working...
                              X