Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Automotive Engineer With Absolutely No UE4 Experience Been Asked Create A Car Storyboard In A Week

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Automotive Engineer With Absolutely No UE4 Experience Been Asked Create A Car Storyboard In A Week

Over the past year I've been using iClone and Daz Studio to get some half decent looking videos for car related storyboards showing an avatar interacting with features of a car. Here's an ending of one of my storyboards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rH52kINTlAA

Hopefully I'm not breaking any rules by having this link. Tried to explain to my boss that I deliberately chose to use iClone and Daz because of how easy it is to learn and how quickly you can render a video like the one in the link. I used an HDRI image to avoid having to create the road/trees/sky etc. The ease of animating characters in iClone and Daz was the other reason.

fNow he expects me to learn how to use UE4 in a week to produce a mock up commercial of 2 SUV's and their drivers hooking up to campers. This was after he attended a UE4 expo a few weeks ago. He also believe that UE4 is stand alone software and doesn't want me using any other programs. Is he wrong? Don't you need to use programs like Maya or Blender to rig up a vehicle before it can be used in UE4. The other reason why I used iClone and Daz was so I could avoid having to learn how to use Maya. Had to use Maya to couple of years ago to animate metal deformation and it was a very unpleasant experience.

I figure it will take me a week just to learn how to use Maya. I don't even want to think of how long it will take to learn how to animate characters in UE4.

Anyway, would be extremely grateful for any advice on how best to learn quickly learn UE4 and if there's a way to rig up a car or an avatar in iClone or Daz for use in UE4?

PS. UE4 was installed on my personal rig, how the heck am I going to show what I've created when nobody at the office is running UE4?

If you can do what you need to with your existing workflow, then go for that and then spend time when you can learning UE4 if you want to go down that way, chances are you're not going to figure out how to achieve something better in UE4 in a week.
    UE4 is just one part of the pipeline, you still need to import models from a 3D modeling/animation software like Blender/3ds Max/Maya

Comment

Originally posted by darthviper107 View Post
      If you can do what you need to with your existing workflow, then go for that and then spend time when you can learning UE4 if you want to go down that way, chances are you're not going to figure out how to achieve something better in UE4 in a week.
      UE4 is just one part of the pipeline, you still need to import models from a 3D modeling/animation software like Blender/3ds Max/Maya
      Unfortunately, he wants me to stop using iClone, Daz or anything else from this point on except for UE4. But thanks for confirming that UE4 is not a stand alone program.

Comment

That's up to him I guess, but it's not a good plan to switch to a program that you haven't got any experience with, especially if you've got a short deadline.

Comment

My response has missed your week deadline, and I hope you managed something to your boss's approval.

I just wanted to follow up with this link for you: https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/i...ies/automotive

And to emphasize that yes, UE4 can accomplish your goals, but probably not within a week for someone not yet experienced with it. And yes, it does still have dependencies on additional software for the initial asset creation.

Cheers
          Stephen Ellis | Enterprise Program Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Ellis View Post
            My response has missed your week deadline, and I hope you managed something to your boss's approval.

I just wanted to follow up with this link for you: https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/i...ies/automotive

And to emphasize that yes, UE4 can accomplish your goals, but probably not within a week for someone not yet experienced with it. And yes, it does still have dependencies on additional software for the initial asset creation.

Cheers
            Sorry, didn't see the latest reply until today. I was able to convince my boss how massive an undertaking this is. Told him I need a few weeks.

Comment

Working...
            X