Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Does Poseable Mesh Not Have The Option For Morphs.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why Does Poseable Mesh Not Have The Option For Morphs.

Anyone know of a valid reason as to why poseable meshes cannot have morphs, and skeletal meshes can't do posing? I kinda need both at once some things are not doable via rigging for what I need. This is just baffling as to why this is not allowable. Anyone know why this is, and if they have any suggestions for fixing this it would be appreciated.

I can only assume 3D artist were not really taken into consideration.

I am making books with some weird stuff in it. Importing 2 models would be a bit daft especially since I would probably have to import 5 to grab the in-between morphs as well. For instance, with morphs, I can make a model seem as if he is almost starved to death but over time he becomes buff, etc. During the buff phase on some characters, some things are morphs and rigging is not an option. Along with a lot of other things.

This if I had to import characters for each morph would take something like 1 character to over a hundred in some cases. Everyone knows books do not really need Animation but Unreal is great for a lot of things 3D engines cannot handle very easily.

So yeah why, suggestions, etc.

Edit: Master pose overriding it does not work it crashes lol.

Comment

Making an Animation BP and using anim instance class seems to work but I am not entirely sure if this is the best option so yeah it still a good idea to talk about this.

Comment

I'm a bit confused as to the question.It seems more of an issue of unexpected behaviour by applying the logic of what a morph should do as to what the current set up can't.

You imply that you are having morphing problems with static as well as skeletal mesh and with out context as well as the process you are using to import the object in question one might as well toss darts at a dart board in an attempt to guess where the root of the problem is.

First it seems to me that you want to do what is called progressive morphing which is a means to store all of the targets with in a single morph transform. More or less your basic FBX type morph can not do progressive morphing so as you suggested you will need 5 separate morphs in their own channels an morph between them for you in-between.

In context you have a book and at some point the pages needs to turn over from one page to another. Since your typical morph can only translate from target to target the result based on a single target will force the shape to take the most direct line from 0 to 1 instead of the page flipping.

I am making books with some weird stuff in it.
        Is not enough context to even begin to guess or suggest a workable solution.

What about skeletal characters?

Well all morphs are whats called additive shaping so whatever the current animation state of the character the morph shape is added to the current pose as determined by the applied animation.

In context we want or character to strike a pose using a full body injection (aka morph) so since the morph is additive the applied animation would need to be the base target in it's default bind pose position. Usually the A or T Pose of the original character set up.

That is more or less you 101 of morph targets but the root of the problem could be your using the wrong file format and your basic FBX type morphs are really only intend for you ever day facial shaping. To get the predictable result your looking for I would suggest looking at Alembic as an option as it does support animated morphing (aka progressive) and could convert it to pose base animation in your blueprint.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDHxxk0y2D4

Hope that helps as I'm just guessing.

Clarke's third law: Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
        Custom Map Maker Discord
        https://discord.gg/t48GHkA
        Urban Terror https://www.urbanterror.info/home/

Comment

If I explain it all maybe it will make more sense.

In a lot of my books a lot of characters are going to have morphs because as time changes so to do they etc.

The thing is from what I was doing I could not get both bone rotation and morph to work on the same model.

Basically that simple.

I need the model to be poseable at any point and time see image (bone gui). However to also be able to have its morph changed at any given time. I could make the morphs and export the character individually which will give me more models than I need but it seems to be the only option I can find.

Presets would be the area where morphs would be held I just have not gotten around to making the presets since I am constantly reworking the bone trying to make it function with morphs.

Comment

The thing is presets have to be able to just add or overwrite to already set poses. Along with each other. Morphs are going to be involved at different points say going from Super Saiyan to Super Vegeta extra bulky etc. However there is no need to have a model for each step, nor have different rigs etc.

Comment

OK so our group had a need to have a character framework that will allow us to use a single rig but make any kind of character that works with in the same framework. To solve the startup problem we licensed Genesis 3 to manage all of the morph requirements as well as rigging requirements and except for a few rules as to process it works great. We can easily turn a man into a werewolf running around in UE4.

So you say

The thing is from what I was doing I could not get both bone rotation and morph to work on the same model.
              I can at least confirm that the function of bone rotation along with morphs does work in UE4 so something else in the process is broken

I'm assuming that we are talking about making it work in UE4 right?
              Clarke's third law: Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
              Custom Map Maker Discord
              https://discord.gg/t48GHkA
              Urban Terror https://www.urbanterror.info/home/

Comment

As in poseable mesh, not animation. Animation and morphs work well together but I am not planning on animating anything just pose things. However to rotate bones without animation you use poseable mesh, but you cannot hook that poseable mesh up to morphs. At least I couldn't.

Comment

Working...
                X