No announcement yet.

Why should I keep paying?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there any limit on the amount of times we can subscribe/unsubscribe? For instance, if I sub and unsub right now, to get the initial build of the engine, could I do the same thing again in a few months, to get some updates? So like, every 6 months or so, I would sub and then unsub immediately afterwards. Would that be alright?
    Fully dynamic Time of Day System blueprint: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...e-of-Day-Setup Download it for free now!

Comment

You are free to subscribe and unsubscribe as you please. There is no limitation imparted on our end.
      Unreal Engine Documentation Lead
      Unreal Engine Documentation
      Bored? Follow me! @ffejnosliw

Comment

Originally posted by ffejnosliw View Post
        You are free to subscribe and unsubscribe as you please. There is no limitation imparted on our end.
        Thanks for clearing that up. I'm just a student without much money, so I need to pay attention to these kind of things
        Fully dynamic Time of Day System blueprint: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...e-of-Day-Setup Download it for free now!

Comment

If you plan to make big sales at all with this engine, then the $19 would not be a problem. I dont see how its not worth anything at all with this great engine
          Add my Skype
          Developers and Newbies Chat Group
          I build games for a living, But most of all I build them for my passion

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Davis View Post
            At the end of development if you want to re-new the subscription to be able to publish that is allowed as well.
            I'm sorry, but this sounds different from what I understood so far.

I thought that one can subscribe, then unsubscribe at any time and still be able to publish their game with no need to subscribe again. Did I get it wrong?

Comment

Hi Zhed,

I checked back into it and you are correct. You do not have to re-subscribe to publish a game, however there are steps that must be taken which can be found here: https://www.unrealengine.com/release

Thank you and have a great day!
              Adam
              Adam Davis | Marketplace Support | Epic Games
              How to report a bug? | Installation & Setup issues? | Answerhub Bug Reports | Twitter

Comment

You do not have to re-subscribe to publish a game
                Awesome! This is great for indies and people developing in their spare time. Thank you Epic for making it so risk-free!

Comment

Hi Zhed,

I checked back into it and you are correct. You do not have to re-subscribe to publish a game, however there are steps that must be taken which can be found here: https://www.unrealengine.com/release

Thank you and have a great day!
                  Adam
                  Thank you for the confirmation...this is great indeed

Comment

OK granted this is just my opinion but off the bat 19 bucks a month is dirt cheap for anything. Break it down that rounds out to 63 CENTS a day. Doing my real life math that is a bit more than a third that I spend on my morning-drive-to-work cup of coffee.

Next, and a guess, this is the principle release to get into the hands what is needed and not so much about what is wanted. Think of it this way, you buy an Ipod does it come with music?

Next, and this is the scarey part, I've know Zak for more than a few years and I have at least an idea of the scarey way his mind works. I'm sure, no positive, that he knows that there will be those that come in, subscribe, grab as much stuff that they can download, unsubscribe and in the same process demand a refund for good measure.

Now assuming that I am right here is what I predict. Once the rush is over and things have settled down that’s when Epic will roll out the good stuff that will hot rod a perfectly good chaise as the working base.

Here is why you stick with the horse you rode in on.

If this happens, as predicted, each time you sub and unsubscribe it costs you another 19 bucks so in the end it will cost you twice as much each year just for the new goodies when all you really have to do is give up your morning coffee.

P.S. HI Zak I"M BACK.
                    Clarke's third law: Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Comment

Hey,

Wait can someone clarify a few things for me:

1) If I didnt want to subscribe is there a way to get UE4 for non-commercial use?
                      2) Is there a termination fee?
                      3) So basically subscribing is like licensing for UE3 with added features?

Thanks in Advance.

Comment

1. An initial subscription of $19 is necessary to download the editor and gain access to its various features.
                        2. This subscription can be canceled at anytime, with no termination fee. Without a subscription, you can still use the tools you previously download, but you will not be able to receive new updates.
                        3. With a subscription, you get access to the editor and full source code, and you can also access the marketplace for additional content. So, yes.
                        Stephen Ellis | Epic Games | Engine Support | @TheEpicStephen
                        How to report an engine bug | >>Click here to report engine bugs<<

Comment

This is very good information to know. I'm pretty much a novice with game development, i've dabbled a bit in Unity Indie and dipped my fingers in the UDK, but never seriously got into either, though i am definitely considering giving UE4 a try (though i'm not a programmer, so the Source Code doesn't really matter to me), and considering what Unity are asking for the full package of their engine ($1500 up front for Pro, or $75/month, yes i know there's Indie, but that doesn't give you everything you might need), it's a no brainer, especially when $19/month works out at about £11/month, it's a bargain.

Now my only worry is whether or not my system will actually take UE4,

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony View Post
                            This is very good information to know. I'm pretty much a novice with game development, i've dabbled a bit in Unity Indie and dipped my fingers in the UDK, but never seriously got into either, though i am definitely considering giving UE4 a try (though i'm not a programmer, so the Source Code doesn't really matter to me), and considering what Unity are asking for the full package of their engine ($1500 up front for Pro, or $75/month, yes i know there's Indie, but that doesn't give you everything you might need), it's a no brainer, especially when $19/month works out at about £11/month, it's a bargain.

Now my only worry is whether or not my system will actually take UE4,
                            Wrong the English get stuffed again on US prices, we pay €19 making it about £16 instead of £11. Wish I could pay in dollars instead of euros.

P.S. I'm not European I'm English haha.

Comment

Still, it's pretty **** impressive considering what you get access to, i don't mind paying £16/month for this, i'm paying just over half that for my audible sub anyways.

(fellow yorkshireman here :P), like i said, my only real concern now is if my system can take UE4, i've only got 6GB of ram (the fourth module slot on my board is defunct, so can't use 8GB) and my CPU is getting on in years (6 yrs is a long time for a Q-Core)

Comment

Originally posted by demonseedgfx View Post
                                Wrong the English get stuffed again on US prices, we pay €19 making it about £16 instead of £11. Wish I could pay in dollars instead of euros.

P.S. I'm not European I'm English haha.
                                Hi Demonseedgfx - Great Britain actually pays in USD instead or EUR.

Comment

Working...
                                X