No announcement yet.

2slow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have an AMD FX-8350 (a near 7-year-old CPU), 16GB of RAM, and a GTX 970.

UE4 doesn't take an unreasonable amount of time to do anything on my computer, except maybe compile shaders... seems like that's the way it goes though, but even then it's not an unreasonable amount of time.

I'm not sure why it's so much slower for other people with better specs than my PC... perhaps it's an issue with specific versions? Or other programs interfering in the background?
    -Binary Orange

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." - Carl Sagan

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowKindGames View Post
      Many don't visit forums and many just live with it...
      I agree that there are many who do not visit the forums, but I disagree that they would live with it.
      People complain over much smaller things about the engine :P

it takes ages for shader compilation, code compilation when hot reload doesn't work, plus lightmass isn't exactly lightning quick even on larger machines.
      Same experience with shaders
      My colleague has to put up with lighting everything, but that was made easier with a couple of ThreadRippers and lots of RAM :P

Had hot reload pike out on me too
      But general compile times are quick otherwise.
      Are you compiling against the binary version of the engine? (custom or otherwise)

On a 2018 MBP (2.6GHZ hexacore (4.2GHZ Turbo), NVME, 32GB RAM) it's unbearable...
      As far as I am aware, the turbo boost stuff is a form of overclocking that kicks in when it can.
      Wondering if disabling it would improve the performance and stability while running the UE4 on that particular machine?
      Rule#21: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

Comment

i5-7400 3.00/3.50GHz, 16GB 2400MHz (underclocked from 3000 because of MB), no dedicated GPU (don't even ask). Editor's interface IS unresponsive on Windows. But it's instant on Linux, save for glitches. Can't say for saving (AFAIR it's nearly identical on both systems), but I remember that in 4.16 or 4.18 shader compiling was much faster than before or after, though it really hanged editor. So... I believe there is something wrong with the editor after all. :P
        Release Kra^W patch!

Comment

If you're using the integrated GPU then you're well below the minimum requirements to run the engine, don't blame the software for running badly on slow hardware.
          Last edited by darthviper107; 01-24-2019, 12:41 PM.

Comment

I ran it on a different hardware, but UI responsiveness is always bad. Even when there's literally nothing to render (no viewport). Yes, I understand that running the engine on an IGP is not a good idea, but: 1) It has somewhat acceptable performance for my purposes; and 2) I know what I'm talking about. Look, when there's no difference in Slate responsiveness between double Xeon / 2080 Ti or such and a potato like mine, then there should be something wrong on the software side. And once again: Linux build is instant, though glitchy. No matter viewport framerate.
            Release Kra^W patch!

Comment

If you're having performance issues on a machine that meets the minimum hardware requirements then there's something else going on, because the vast majority of people aren't having that issue.

Comment

So I think we can at least safely agree that Shader compilation takes forever and Undo is a random mess and also takes forever?

Comment

It doesn't always take forever, but it's annoying to see. I actually have a lot of programs where Undo can cause a crash under certain circumstances

Comment

I had a custom instance foliage component class that caused the editor to crash on undo because it did support the undo system correctly
                    Also had undo crash in UMG a number of times, with/with out any custom classes
                    Rule#21: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

Comment

Originally posted by Kris View Post

I agree that there are many who do not visit the forums, but I disagree that they would live with it.
                      People complain over much smaller things about the engine :P
                      In all fairness Unreal has never been quick, I remember the first time I opened the Infiltrator demo and it took 15 minutes to load. For me that's just an average sized scene and In Unity, LY etc. etc. we're talking seconds.

Same experience with shaders
                      My colleague has to put up with lighting everything, but that was made easier with a couple of ThreadRippers and lots of RAM :P
                      Maybe to slightly contradict myself here but it's only the initial "master" shaders that are supposed to be compiled, then you just use material functions and it's lightning quick. It does help to compile shaders before the build (unlike Unity) so you're not bumping around in the dark trying to guess performance.

The editor itself though (especially on Mac) lags around and I remember UE on an older 780TI system when working on multiple things had fans spinning full pelt even with an FPS cap limit.

Had hot reload pike out on me too
                      But general compile times are quick otherwise.
                      Are you compiling against the binary version of the engine? (custom or otherwise)
                      Yes, binary.

As far as I am aware, the turbo boost stuff is a form of overclocking that kicks in when it can.
                      Wondering if disabling it would improve the performance and stability while running the UE4 on that particular machine?
                      Doesn't really make a difference TBH, I've tested UE on several systems now and comparative to other engines it's clunky to say the least. Although I've always assumed that's just the way it is..!

Comment

So the solution from epic games to make UE4 faster and not crash is to buy a new computer?

Epic Games= F

Comment

Ultimately they will try to optimize things, but that only goes so far and they don't plan to support very low end hardware, if you don't have good hardware then you'd need to upgrade.

Comment

UE4 had in 2016 1.5 million users added on top of already UE3 users... its been 3 years since that, if it was so unbearable to use, we would have thousands of posts of complaints, meaning people are using good hardware to deal with the slowness. It is also important to note, that many people use UE4 with Maya, Blender or 3DS Max (a good example is the livelink with UE4 and Maya and now added to Unreal Studio with several other plugins) and those software already demands a good machine and these same people want to have them loaded at same time, so every 3D computer artist already knows that productivity comes when you can gain time by having multiple applications loaded at same time, so you will need a robust machine if you want to be productive and have no headaches.
                            Nilson Lima
                            Technical Director @ Rigel Studios Ltda - twitter: @RigelStudios
                            Join us at Discord: https://discord.gg/FUwTvzr

UE4 Marketplace: Cloudscape Seasons
                            supporting: Community FREE Ocean plugin

Comment

Originally posted by NilsonLima View Post
                              UE4 had in 2016 1.5 million users added on top of already UE3 users... its been 3 years since that, if it was so unbearable to use, we would have thousands of posts of complaints, meaning people are using good hardware to deal with the slowness. It is also important to note, that many people use UE4 with Maya, Blender or 3DS Max (a good example is the livelink with UE4 and Maya and now added to Unreal Studio with several other plugins) and those software already demands a good machine and these same people want to have them loaded at same time, so every 3D computer artist already knows that productivity comes when you can gain time by having multiple applications loaded at same time, so you will need a robust machine if you want to be productive and have no headaches.
                              Sorry, wrong assessment. I have been using 3ds max and Maya and before that Cinema4d for over 20 years I know the software in and out and their progression of pros and cons in time. and while 3ds max alone has 10's of millions of users, only a few hundred are vocal in the forums of the real issues in performance and of those few you got only a handful of individuals who are dedicated active posters.

So the fact that UE4 or any other program has millions of users and few are vocal about the problems mean nothing and here's why:

1 - Most users are hobbyist or worst yet students and don't care or can't tell the difference between good and bad performance vs what is norm they just don't have the experience to tell, they might just say they need better computers and end of story, or they will just accept it as normal because they don't know any better.

2 - Many users don't even make games in UE4, maybe work Archviz and other related work, and believe me that Archviz guys are the least picky people, they still use Autocad for gods sake! Have you worked on that thing!? They wouldn't be able to tell if the engine stuttered or just defaulted, as long as they can import and render they don't care.

3 - Most users simply don't care to put even a second to sign up around here and post especially when they can afford not to: Engine problem? no problem hire more programmers let them deal with it.

4 - Most users are not trying to make a living making a video game using this engine!

That last point is important.

Comment

Originally posted by William K View Post
                                2 - Many users don't even make games in UE4, maybe work Archviz and other related work, and believe me that Archviz guys are the least picky people, they still use Autocad for gods sake! Have you worked on that thing!? They wouldn't be able to tell if the engine stuttered or just defaulted, as long as they can import and render they don't care.
                                What's wrong with Autocad?

Originally posted by William K View Post
                                4 - Most users are not trying to make a living making a video game using this engine!

That last point is important.
                                Yes, this point is important. Sooo ... if you have so many problems with the engine, why exactly are you still using it? It's quite obvious you are a Unity fan.

Comment

Working...
                                X