2slow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2slow

Every time you start the unreal engine it takes forever to load up. Every time you save it takes forever. Every time you compile it takes forever. Solution?

Get a faster SSD/CPU?

Comment

Originally posted by ZacD View Post
      Get a faster SSD/CPU?
      I have those, the engine is a bloated mess, reminds me of Autodesk apps vs Blender or Unity vs UE.

Comment

Originally posted by ZacD View Post
        Get a faster SSD/CPU?
        Well gosh dernit! Why didn't I think of that? I'll just run over to Wally's World of Free Computers and get a new one!

Comment

My biggest issue with Unreal Engine are the shader compilation times. A really simple material updates pretty fast in the material editor. But when I have a fairly simple material with translucney for example, it takes somtimes up to several minutes. And my computer is pretty fast.
          Am I the only one who has that issue?

Comment

Originally posted by SJO3000 View Post
            Well gosh dernit! Why didn't I think of that?
            If the issue was entirely engine related, everyone would have exactly the same experience.
            Since this is not the case, it is not unreasonable to assume you may be in need of some sort of upgrade.

e.g. I'm running an i7-4770k, 16GB of RAM and a GTX760.
            Combined with a dedicated SSD, compiling takes seconds, the editor loads in under a minute and unless I need to check out the asset I want to save from our Perforce depot, saving only takes a moment.

Sharing your system specs, version control setup and the like would give people a chance to help you.
            I know that in my case, VS2017 would often take ages to load due to the P4V plugin
            Rule#21: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

Comment

It seems like a lot of users are having trouble with this slow glitchy always crashing always freezing engine.

Comment

If you're going off forum posts, there's not that many posts about that kind of thing

Comment

Originally posted by Kris View Post

If the issue was entirely engine related, everyone would have exactly the same experience.
                  Since this is not the case, it is not unreasonable to assume you may be in need of some sort of upgrade.

e.g. I'm running an i7-4770k, 16GB of RAM and a GTX760.
                  Combined with a dedicated SSD, compiling takes seconds, the editor loads in under a minute and unless I need to check out the asset I want to save from our Perforce depot, saving only takes a moment.

Sharing your system specs, version control setup and the like would give people a chance to help you.
                  I know that in my case, VS2017 would often take ages to load due to the P4V plugin
                  My system has 64gb of ram GTX 1080 and the latest gen I7 Processor running on dual pro SSDs, we even run UE4 on dual Xeon server rigs: I can assure you there is something fundamentally wrong with the editor or the software. It is "Heavy" you scale the windows it feels Heavy, the buttons and loading and shader compiling feels heavy, The load up times feel heavy. I load the same level in Unity and its butter smooth. The editor and UI in Unity feels light and responsive.

This is similar to other bloated apps like Maya and Max vs Blender, Both Maya and Max feel "Heavy" they are slow the UI buttons take ages to scale and refresh (in case of Max) and the newer versions of Max got even slower.

To start with UE should get rid of their Editor Skin and redesign it with minimalism in mind same as what Unity is doing. No more big shiny buttons! I don't want the editor slowing down my game previews why do I have to package every level before testing performance,

We get 50% + performance difference between a packaged game with UE4 not running and one running in either standalone or in editor windows! I kid you not.

Comment

I don't get it. My 6-7 years old pc (i5, gtx660ti, 16 ram, dual monitor) runs UE smoothly, fast and I have suffered just one single crash (my fault, pointer issue). The only critic i have about the editor, are the shaders compiling times.

Comment

Originally posted by William K View Post

My system has 64gb of ram GTX 1080 and the latest gen I7 Processor running on dual pro SSDs, we even run UE4 on dual Xeon server rigs: I can assure you there is something fundamentally wrong with the editor or the software. It is "Heavy" you scale the windows it feels Heavy, the buttons and loading and shader compiling feels heavy, The load up times feel heavy. I load the same level in Unity and its butter smooth. The editor and UI in Unity feels light and responsive.

This is similar to other bloated apps like Maya and Max vs Blender, Both Maya and Max feel "Heavy" they are slow the UI buttons take ages to scale and refresh (in case of Max) and the newer versions of Max got even slower.

To start with UE should get rid of their Editor Skin and redesign it with minimalism in mind same as what Unity is doing. No more big shiny buttons! I don't want the editor slowing down my game previews why do I have to package every level before testing performance,

We get 50% + performance difference between a packaged game with UE4 not running and one running in either standalone or in editor windows! I kid you not.
                      I'm not having the same experience as you with any of those programs, I can run them just fine on weaker hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by SJO3000 View Post
                        It seems like a lot of users are having trouble with this slow glitchy always crashing always freezing engine.
                        As mentioned, if this were the case, there would be many (many!) more posts on the same subject.
                        People are much more vocal when things don't work :P

Anyway, back to the topic on hand - could you share you system specs?
                        If nothing else, it'd help rule out your system as a possible issue.

Until then, we can't really help you

My system has 64gb of ram GTX 1080 and the latest gen I7 Processor running on dual pro SSDs, we even run UE4 on dual Xeon server rig...
                        Refer previous :|
                        Since the hardware being run is significantly more powerful then mine, yet this machine runs the editor just fine, that would suggest the difference is due to the scale of the projects being worked on.

If we both had the same issues while loading a similar project, such as the Shooter Game example, that would suggest the engine more likely to be the issue.

Rule#21: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

Comment

As mentioned, if this were the case, there would be many (many!) more posts on the same subject.
                          People are much more vocal when things don't work :P

Anyway, back to the topic on hand - could you share you system specs?
                          If nothing else, it'd help rule out your system as a possible issue.

Until then, we can't really help you

Since the hardware being run is significantly more powerful then mine, yet this machine runs the editor just fine, that would suggest the difference is due to the scale of the projects being worked on.

If we both had the same issues while loading a similar project, such as the Shooter Game example, that would suggest the engine more likely to be the issue.
                          Many don't visit forums and many just live with it... I have three machines, Dual Xeon 2690 V4 (28 core), 32GB RAM, GTX 1080, NVME (workstation) and it takes ages for shader compilation, code compilation when hot reload doesn't work, plus lightmass isn't exactly lightning quick even on larger machines. On a 2018 MBP (2.6GHZ hexacore (4.2GHZ Turbo), NVME, 32GB RAM) it's unbearable and on a Ryzen 7 Pro 2700X (similar specs to the workstation) it's still sluggish.

This is comparative to Unity and Lumberyard with a similar sized project.

Last edited by ShadowKindGames; 01-22-2019, 08:28 AM.

Comment

The scale of the project is one thing, the engine garbage collecting or something in the background during work that slows things down dramatically is another.

It's entirely random, after a restart of the engine the editor displays 45 fps (all windows closed just editor) something which runs 90+ in a packaged project, after 30 mins of working same editor runs the same thing is at 20 - 15 fps even in standalone mode until a restart is given at which stage it continues to slow down until an entire system restart.

The Exposed nodes get so slow that there is no way to drag the number sliders it will freeze the engine for a few seconds and these are simply nodes to "transform" a BP component in the editor, at this stage the numbers have to be typed in which work in realtime. why does the dragging slow down and freeze? I can only point to the issue being something wrong with the engine editor's performance somewhere.

There is no way putting the finger on it, I never had these issues in Unity. The project never seemed to just slow progressively the editor down the game gets complicated and slows the preview yes but not the functional side of the editor.

There are similar issues in bloated 3d apps I mentioned above. One example: it takes a few seconds to load menus in Max ribbon and update them, another full to half second to refresh motion panel menus every time any object is selected on screen even in an empty scene with a few spheres. Try selecting any part of Biped and watch the motion panel update, You go back to version 9 of max and compare the speed with the degradation of the new ones.

Comment

There are similar issues in bloated 3d apps I mentioned above. One example: it takes a few seconds to load menus in Max ribbon and update them, another full to half second to refresh motion panel menus every time any object is selected on screen even in an empty scene with a few spheres. Try selecting any part of Biped and watch the motion panel update, You go back to version 9 of max and compare the speed with the degradation of the new ones.
                              That sounds like there's something wrong with your system, if I do what you're talking about the UI updates instantly, testing on a system that's much less than yours, i7 3820 with 12GB RAM and a GTX 960

Comment

Working...
                              X