Coarses in game development

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coarses in game development

So i was wondering did you all have to do university rich Arab Coarses in game development, reason im saying that is, well look at the rich Arab prices of those game development Coarses then when all money gone people wouldn't have much left to purchase a pc, can bearly scrap by, like they say richer get richer poor get poorer, i prefer to kick the bucket, yes thats right, oh building a pc for game development what a bloody jock if i saw it, oh UE4 is going to keep on upgrading, so truth is old system requirements is going to become an issue, customers going into EB games and JB hi fi will expected games to get better and better and yes i can see the future game development will require video cards with RTX then eventually game developers will start needing a royal salary to succeed, also this bloody sucks and i know it life is life, a while ago when 1080 was the in thing then 1080 Ti came out all these king pins with all these 1080 Ti in sli im better then him o how great 1080 Tis the greatest thing im all they think how much boasting on YouTube, even Linus tech tips o how successful, o these 1080 Tis are all hear to stay, and i was thinking im going to go Sli in 1080 Tis great benchmarks was possitive so as soon as i purchase 1, now all these scumbag companies stop manufacturing them oh what a coincidence as soon as i purchase 1 now cant purchase because lowlife companies, then o NVidia releases RTX 2080Ti o what a joke now if i decided to sell my 1080 Ti and purchase a 2080Ti guess what they stop manufacturing 2080Ti and lets bring out 3080Ti, i really should start to collapse the entire known Universe, that will end the little games these smart ars companies playing will see how they cope with that want to play games, and also Jensen you little swine bringing out Quadro RTX 6000s for $10,990 AUD and put UE4 you little swine and say purchase more you get more i orter send you to ****ing Hell for eternity you Chinese *******.

I am completely self taught. You don't need the new graphics card that comes out, I upgrade every 2-3 years.
    Marketplace Assets

Advanced Mobile Input: Marketplace Page | Support Thread ――― Easy Input Remapping: Marketplace Page | Support Thread
    Multiplayer Blueprint Chat System: Marketplace Page | Support Thread ――― Closing Credits System: Marketplace Page | Support Thread
    Minesweeper Template: Marketplace Page | Support Thread ――― Maze Creator: Marketplace Page | Support Thread

Comment

Large majority of "rich kids" graduating as "Game Designers", from Full Sail University and alikes, they never find jobs in games industry and usually give up very shortly after.

One could argue those courses are scams.

| Finite State Machine | Auto-Save Plugin | USQLite Plugin | Object-Pool Plugin | Sound-Occlusion Plugin | Anti-Cheat Plugin | Property Transfer Tool |

Comment

Originally posted by BrUnO XaVIeR View Post
        Large majority of "rich kids" graduating as "Game Designers", from Full Sail University and alikes, they never find jobs in games industry and usually give up very shortly after.

One could argue those courses are scams.
        Thank you for that insite, i was thinking you have to have university degrees.

Comment

If you want to work in "any country" then you need a degree in Arts (for artists) or Computer Science (for programmers).

Game Design courses are almost useless compared to those.

If you do not plan to work outside your country you can do whatever you want in games without any degree (the good thing is you won't have a gigantic loan to pay for).

The bad thing is those courses have 0% focus on game development.
          | Finite State Machine | Auto-Save Plugin | USQLite Plugin | Object-Pool Plugin | Sound-Occlusion Plugin | Anti-Cheat Plugin | Property Transfer Tool |

Comment

There are a small number of good game degrees out there - there are a large number that exist purely to capitalise on demand an make money for the University. Determining which is which can be quite difficult, but you might get a decent feel for it by looking to see how many people working in various studios have degrees from where.

The degree itself isn't necessarily worth much though - to put things in perspective the UK games industry employs around 12,000 developers, somewhere around 15% of which might be junior or entry-level (1800), and around 95% of those positions will already be filled at any point in time (90 graduate vacancies across all fields). There are over 250 games degree courses in the UK, each putting out anywhere from 10-100 graduates each year (probably around 2-3000). When there are 2000+ people being added to the number of unemployed, all competing for just 90 vacancies, you can see that the degree isn't ever going to be the distinguishing factor.

Comment

Originally posted by ambershee View Post
              There are a small number of good game degrees out there - there are a large number that exist purely to capitalise on demand an make money for the University. Determining which is which can be quite difficult, but you might get a decent feel for it by looking to see how many people working in various studios have degrees from where.

The degree itself isn't necessarily worth much though - to put things in perspective the UK games industry employs around 12,000 developers, somewhere around 15% of which might be junior or entry-level (1800), and around 95% of those positions will already be filled at any point in time (90 graduate vacancies across all fields). There are over 250 games degree courses in the UK, each putting out anywhere from 10-100 graduates each year (probably around 2-3000). When there are 2000+ people being added to the number of unemployed, all competing for just 90 vacancies, you can see that the degree isn't ever going to be the distinguishing factor.
              While the degree itself is not the distinguishing factor, the projects made during the course can be one. So doing a course might help you getting some projects done for your resume.

Comment

Originally posted by TriNityGER View Post

While the degree itself is not the distinguishing factor, the projects made during the course can be one. So doing a course might help you getting some projects done for your resume.
                This is usually not the case. Generally speaking material produced for a degree is of fairly poor quality due to time and knowledge constraints, and it usually looks like university coursework.

You're much better of taking a year or two after graduation to build something of significance (whilst working to support yourself), then using that to make your job applications. Personal projects usually stand out a lot more, and the time is there to do the necessary planning and polish work.

Comment

Originally posted by ambershee View Post
                  ... You're much better of taking a year or two after graduation to build something of significance...
                  This is the point where I was saying large majority "give up shortly after".
                  They have to do that, but most simply won't do it. Because they, now, they know the amount of work it is... and know that there's limited positions while there's a lot of competition.

Comment

ambershee Okay thats indeed a point but it depends on how much energy you put into the university project at all I for example was so bored with our C++ physics project that I built game engine on top of it. While graphics looked ******, the code behind it was quite "good". Same goes for a Battleships project. That was one where I started to implement game programming patterns etc. and polished it quite well. I knew early on that only following the courses was not enough for the time after graduation as I would not stand out. So I used the time and made the projects portfolio-worthy.
                    Last edited by TriNityGER; 01-07-2019, 12:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X