X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Straight Shorty
    Originally posted by Straight Shorty View Post

I see. If that the case what is your opinion on this Desktop it $140 a month for 5 month payment plan. Also is there a strong Window 7 UE4 PC build that you recommend?
    Missing Link???

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by franktech View Post
    In paying installments I'd be tempted to go for 10 payments.... Secure a little more memory and get a 1080. Then fill the other bay with a second HDD/SSD.... 2TB would definitely cover it.... Or... Stick with 5 payments and get a desktop.... The laptop spec above is ok but its not future proof.... Which means you'll have to shell out again...
    I see. If that the case what is your opinion on this Desktop it $140 a month for 5 month payment plan. Also is there a strong Window 7 UE4 PC build that you recommend?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    In paying installments I'd be tempted to go for 10 payments.... Secure a little more memory and get a 1080. Then fill the other bay with a second HDD/SSD.... 2TB would definitely cover it.... Or... Stick with 5 payments and get a desktop.... The laptop spec above is ok but its not future proof.... Which means you'll have to shell out again...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by franktech View Post
    Straight Shorty

Rating is all relative but I give it 5 out of 10. It might be ok as a gaming laptop for 10 Benjamins. But for game dev, the built-in storage is 256 GB... Am I reading that right? How much is left after the SSD is actually formatted and the OS is installed... You need quite a lot of storage for game dev. Symbols alone are 20 GB. Each engine version is probably the same not including DDC.

You normally need to install multiple engine versions as you can't risk overwriting the latest and greatest to find its exactly the opposite (nod to 4.19 etc). Then there's all your assets, some of which also need to be managed separately or in multiple versions. After installing supporting apps and a couple of games, how much is left?

Its just not enough unless you're going to carry around a 1-8TB external drive. The GPU is ok, just ok, nothing special. 16 GB Ram is the absolute bare minimum for UE4. Not even going to think about the CPU because of the other factors. Just for reference, my own rigs are ancient. Asus ROG's from 2012 which overheat so I can't recommend them... But even they have 12 GB Ram and 1.4 TB HDD.

But by far the biggest drawback imho, and the single reason I've been sitting on the sidelines for years and nursing my Win7 rigs is - Win10. Whether you care about privacy aside for a sec... Forced updates.... Hello? - On a dev machine... Would you please f'off Microsoft. Every developer should have access to LTSB...

Thank you Franktech. I agree with you on the storage 256GB won't be enough. I am planning on buying a hybrid SSD/HHD
    https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-FireC...KQL&ref=plSrch

Which is 2TB. That should be enough. But still your rating of 5 out 10 does worry me. And I can't findy any other laptop that is stronger then it with the Amazon deal. I may have to go to a desktop route. But if I do it will have to be a AMD Ryzen built. Like you I love the Window 7 OS. I considered it to be the True Successor to Window XP. And like you I'm no fan of Window 10. But unfortunately, Microsoft convince AMD not to make Newer CPU compatible to Win7.
    ​​​​​
    ​​​​​

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Straight Shorty

Rating is all relative but I give it 5 out of 10. It might be ok as a gaming laptop for 10 Benjamins. But for game dev, the built-in storage is 256 GB... Am I reading that right? How much is left after the SSD is actually formatted and the OS is installed... You need quite a lot of storage for game dev. Symbols alone are 20 GB. Each engine version is probably the same not including DDC.

You normally need to install multiple engine versions as you can't risk overwriting the latest and greatest to find its exactly the opposite (nod to 4.19 etc). Then there's all your assets, some of which also need to be managed separately or in multiple versions. After installing supporting apps and a couple of games, how much is left?

Its just not enough unless you're going to carry around a 1-8TB external drive. The GPU is ok, just ok, nothing special. 16 GB Ram is the absolute bare minimum for UE4. Not even going to think about the CPU because of the other factors. Just for reference, my own rigs are ancient. Asus ROG's from 2012 which overheat so I can't recommend them... But even they have 12 GB Ram and 1.4 TB HDD.

But by far the biggest drawback imho, and the single reason I've been sitting on the sidelines for years and nursing my Win7 rigs is - Win10. Whether you care about privacy aside for a sec... Forced updates.... Hello? - On a dev machine... Would you please f'off Microsoft. Every developer should have access to LTSB...

Leave a comment:

• started a topic Can this Laptop Run UE4?

Can this Laptop Run UE4?

I received a message on Amazon creating a sort of 5 months payment Plans. Basically On electronics Goods. When I came across this Laptop. Acer Predator Helios 300 Gaming Laptop, 15.6" Full HD IPS, Intel i7-7700HQ CPU, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 256GB SSD, GeForce GTX 1060-6GB, VR Ready, Red Backlit KB, Metal Chassis, Windows 10 64-bit, G3-571-77QK https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y4GZS9C..._lv-wBb433ACB4.

This laptop cost $1.049 but as a prime member I have the option of getting it For $209.80 a month(for 5 month) for it. Is this a good laptop to Run UE4 on it? If so from a rating of 1-10 where does it stand?
Working...
X