Can this Laptop Run UE4?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can this Laptop Run UE4?

I received a message on Amazon creating a sort of 5 months payment Plans. Basically On electronics Goods. When I came across this Laptop. Acer Predator Helios 300 Gaming Laptop, 15.6" Full HD IPS, Intel i7-7700HQ CPU, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 256GB SSD, GeForce GTX 1060-6GB, VR Ready, Red Backlit KB, Metal Chassis, Windows 10 64-bit, G3-571-77QK https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y4GZS9C..._lv-wBb433ACB4.

This laptop cost $1.049 but as a prime member I have the option of getting it For $209.80 a month(for 5 month) for it. Is this a good laptop to Run UE4 on it? If so from a rating of 1-10 where does it stand?

Straight Shorty

Rating is all relative but I give it 5 out of 10. It might be ok as a gaming laptop for 10 Benjamins. But for game dev, the built-in storage is 256 GB... Am I reading that right? How much is left after the SSD is actually formatted and the OS is installed... You need quite a lot of storage for game dev. Symbols alone are 20 GB. Each engine version is probably the same not including DDC.

You normally need to install multiple engine versions as you can't risk overwriting the latest and greatest to find its exactly the opposite (nod to 4.19 etc). Then there's all your assets, some of which also need to be managed separately or in multiple versions. After installing supporting apps and a couple of games, how much is left?

Its just not enough unless you're going to carry around a 1-8TB external drive. The GPU is ok, just ok, nothing special. 16 GB Ram is the absolute bare minimum for UE4. Not even going to think about the CPU because of the other factors. Just for reference, my own rigs are ancient. Asus ROG's from 2012 which overheat so I can't recommend them... But even they have 12 GB Ram and 1.4 TB HDD.

But by far the biggest drawback imho, and the single reason I've been sitting on the sidelines for years and nursing my Win7 rigs is - Win10. Whether you care about privacy aside for a sec... Forced updates.... Hello? - On a dev machine... Would you please f'off Microsoft. Every developer should have access to LTSB...

Comment

Originally posted by franktech View Post
      Straight Shorty

Rating is all relative but I give it 5 out of 10. It might be ok as a gaming laptop for 10 Benjamins. But for game dev, the built-in storage is 256 GB... Am I reading that right? How much is left after the SSD is actually formatted and the OS is installed... You need quite a lot of storage for game dev. Symbols alone are 20 GB. Each engine version is probably the same not including DDC.

You normally need to install multiple engine versions as you can't risk overwriting the latest and greatest to find its exactly the opposite (nod to 4.19 etc). Then there's all your assets, some of which also need to be managed separately or in multiple versions. After installing supporting apps and a couple of games, how much is left?

Its just not enough unless you're going to carry around a 1-8TB external drive. The GPU is ok, just ok, nothing special. 16 GB Ram is the absolute bare minimum for UE4. Not even going to think about the CPU because of the other factors. Just for reference, my own rigs are ancient. Asus ROG's from 2012 which overheat so I can't recommend them... But even they have 12 GB Ram and 1.4 TB HDD.

But by far the biggest drawback imho, and the single reason I've been sitting on the sidelines for years and nursing my Win7 rigs is - Win10. Whether you care about privacy aside for a sec... Forced updates.... Hello? - On a dev machine... Would you please f'off Microsoft. Every developer should have access to LTSB...

Thank you Franktech. I agree with you on the storage 256GB won't be enough. I am planning on buying a hybrid SSD/HHD
      https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-FireC...KQL&ref=plSrch

Which is 2TB. That should be enough. But still your rating of 5 out 10 does worry me. And I can't findy any other laptop that is stronger then it with the Amazon deal. I may have to go to a desktop route. But if I do it will have to be a AMD Ryzen built. Like you I love the Window 7 OS. I considered it to be the True Successor to Window XP. And like you I'm no fan of Window 10. But unfortunately, Microsoft convince AMD not to make Newer CPU compatible to Win7.
      ​​​​​
      ​​​​​

Comment

In paying installments I'd be tempted to go for 10 payments.... Secure a little more memory and get a 1080. Then fill the other bay with a second HDD/SSD.... 2TB would definitely cover it.... Or... Stick with 5 payments and get a desktop.... The laptop spec above is ok but its not future proof.... Which means you'll have to shell out again...

Comment

In paying installments I'd be tempted to go for 10 payments.... Secure a little more memory and get a 1080. Then fill the other bay with a second HDD/SSD.... 2TB would definitely cover it.... Or... Stick with 5 payments and get a desktop.... The laptop spec above is ok but its not future proof.... Which means you'll have to shell out again...
          I see. If that the case what is your opinion on this Desktop it $140 a month for 5 month payment plan. Also is there a strong Window 7 UE4 PC build that you recommend?

Comment

Straight Shorty
            Originally posted by Straight Shorty View Post

I see. If that the case what is your opinion on this Desktop it $140 a month for 5 month payment plan. Also is there a strong Window 7 UE4 PC build that you recommend?
            Missing Link???

Comment

Straight Shorty

Missing Link???
              My bad. Here it is SkyTech ArchAngel GTX 1050 Ti Gaming Computer Desktop PC FX-6300 3.50 GHz 6-Core, GTX 1050 Ti 4GB, 8GB DDR3, 1TB HDD, 24X DVD, Wi-Fi USB, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, White (GTX 1050 Ti Version) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M3UKNVD..._-QnxBb6161134

Comment

Straight Shorty

Missing Link???
                Or do you think i should get this instead? OMEN by HP Gaming Desktop Computer, AMD Ryzen 5 1400, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060, 8GB RAM, 1TB hard drive, Windows 10 (880-010, Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0718ZGQNY..._KWnxBb8375F74. It $175.74 a month.

Comment

The GPU isn't bad, I'd say if you can upgrade the SSD to 512GB then you'll be fine, then just use an external drive for storage, the GTX 1060 is pretty good so it would run UE4 just fine.

Comment

Straight Shorty

Don't really like either of those desktop options tbh. Too little Ram for starters.
                    To be productive in UE4, aim for 16GB Ram, and GPU 1060 or equivalent min.
                    Many devs will tell you an SSD is mandatory for UE4, but it isn't necessarily true.
                    If you're planning on 'dense forest' landscape levels, then file sizes can be huge.
                    But 'mesh-heavy' levels are smaller by comparison. Then an SSD isn't as crucial.

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-...ce-GTX-1050-Ti

Comment

Originally posted by darthviper107 View Post
                      The GPU isn't bad, I'd say if you can upgrade the SSD to 512GB then you'll be fine, then just use an external drive for storage, the GTX 1060 is pretty good so it would run UE4 just fine.
                      Thanks for answering my question! But I have one more question. Should I just replace the SSD with a hybrid? Seagate 2TB FireCuda Gaming SSHD (Solid State Hybrid Drive) - 7200 RPM SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Hard Drive https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IEKG2HM..._HqoxBbB925044

Comment

Straight Shorty

Don't really like either of those desktop options tbh. Too little Ram for starters.
                        To be productive in UE4, aim for 16GB Ram, and GPU 1060 or equivalent min.
                        Many devs will tell you an SSD is mandatory for UE4, but it isn't necessarily true.
                        If you're planning on 'dense forest' landscape levels, then file sizes can be huge.
                        But 'mesh-heavy' levels are smaller by comparison. Then an SSD isn't as crucial.

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-...ce-GTX-1050-Ti
                        Ah So ram is the Key! But The 1080Ti is not that strong compare to the 1060 GTX. But is the Ti enough for UE4?

Comment

Thanks for answering my question! But I have one more question. Should I just replace the SSD with a hybrid? Seagate 2TB FireCuda Gaming SSHD (Solid State Hybrid Drive) - 7200 RPM SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Hard Drive https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IEKG2HM..._HqoxBbB925044
                          That drive can't fit in a laptop.
                          SSD matters a lot, the hybrid drives are not nearly as fast as an SSD. I'd just get a 512GB SSD and then an external drive

Comment

Ah So ram is the Key! But The 1080Ti is not that strong compare to the 1060 GTX. But is the Ti enough for UE4?
                            The GTX 1060 is more than enough for UE4, you don't need to upgrade beyond the 1060 unless you simply want more power, most people playing games have something less than the 1060

Comment

If you do not absolutely need the mobility .. ie that laptop will mostly sit on your desk. You should consider getting a desktop instead, all round better deal. If you must get a laptop make sure it has at least 16GB ram ... 24GB would be much better and greatly enhance your laptop's useful lifetime. Laptop harddrives are considerably slower than desktop equivalents. So an SSD is really nice to have but in practice all it gives you is a quicker boot. You can skimp on the SSD if you have greater than 16GB ram.

You also don't need more than a 1060GTX that is perfectly adequate for development.
                              UE4 Tutorials for 3rd person Blueprint project from scratch: Youtube Channel
                              Use Blender 2.8 to make UE4 compatible animations: Blog

Comment

Working...
                              X