Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This engine is an insult to developers...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• started a topic This engine is an insult to developers...

This engine is an insult to developers...

Ive had enough of this garbage engine, it doesnt matter what PC i use or os (win7,8.1, 10, linux tried them all), or what project/engine version, this engine is completely broken in C++.
    There is no way one can program anything with this engine the entire framework/compilation/build tools are broken, there are no guides on how to create anything, ive been trying for ages to get a simple USTRUCT to work, i get only compilation errors from god knows where, none of the fixes on forums work on any version ever.
    Errors that cant find includes, ue4 cant setup its own project aparently, and i have no clue how to fix it C++ has the most retarded include system ever invented period.

C++ is garbage, the UE4 C++ framework/documention is garbage aswell and outdated.

Ever since the engine free release i hoped and hoped for a secondary programming language since C++ framework is unsusable and i cant do anything about it. I tried to learn, i tried to have patience for fixes, i know enough C++ to not want to do anything with it anymore, because it doesnt work

Seems like Epic doesnt care at all about developers, i dont need Epic Game Jams, cash rewards, no marketplace better share i do not care, the ONLY thing i want is a WORKING API, i do not know how you are fine with the way this engine is broken since its existance probably.
    It does not make sense it cant be that im the only one that cant even compile an empty C++ class without errors on any PC on any version or OS.

/rant

• replied
    Great tutorial! Between that and the gamedev.tv guys on udemy, there is a lot of information that can be learned and not for a lot of money either.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Yeah good lad is Tom good tuts.

The fact he was a programmer at epic means you know you're getting the best info aswell.

For $11 you cant go wrong.

p.s. im not on commission honest

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by savagebeasty View Post
    Throw the toys out the pram

This is a great course for a good overview, highly recommend it:

https://www.udemy.com/unrealengine-cpp/

If you go to Tom's site you can get the course for $12 plus he also has some other useful tutorials.

https://www.tomlooman.com/ue4-cpp-tutorials/
    I watched Tom's course at Udemy's for Multiplier in C++ with Unreal and loved it. I could also setup up everything in blueprints after that, so double win in my case.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Throw the toys out the pram

This is a great course for a good overview, highly recommend it:

https://www.udemy.com/unrealengine-cpp/

If you go to Tom's site you can get the course for $12 plus he also has some other useful tutorials.

https://www.tomlooman.com/ue4-cpp-tutorials/

Leave a comment:

• replied
    And that's why i shall stick to more simplistic games to create.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    This is why I stay away from C++, it just wasn't made for some people. Blueprints on the other hand are pretty fun. On the technical side my game was **** I wouldn't dare try to fix it or even create something new in C++ unless I had a real programmer to do it.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by BrUnO XaVIeR View Post
    I think when it comes to "internet" everybody often have too bold opinions...
    I've been trying myself to be more realistic and refrain from posting harsh opinions, more often now remember myself that everything has problems in a way or another;

In the end it's unhealthy to expect any piece of software to be flawlessly perfect, not even hardware drivers are bug free, when even that low-end universe has so many problems I honestly have no idea how don't the whole software industry colapse somehow. Anyway, I just need to have the task done and in the end of the day I'm glad Unreal help me to deliver and that's pretty much what matters to me now... Expecting "perfection" from any software has become delusional.

lol even code compilers are filled with bugs...
    I agree on principle but not this particular case because arguing that an engine that has shipped hundreds of games successfully across a dozen platforms is somehow unusable and completely broken is, AT BEST, inane.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I think when it comes to "internet" everybody often have too bold opinions...
    I've been trying myself to be more realistic and refrain from posting harsh opinions, more often now remember myself that everything has problems in a way or another;

In the end it's unhealthy to expect any piece of software to be flawlessly perfect, not even hardware drivers are bug free, when even that low-end universe has so many problems I honestly have no idea how don't the whole software industry colapse somehow. Anyway, I just need to have the task done and in the end of the day I'm glad Unreal help me to deliver and that's pretty much what matters to me now... Expecting "perfection" from any software has become delusional.

lol even code compilers are filled with bugs...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by M3NTH0S View Post
    i know enough C++
    No you don't.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by TriNityGER View Post

Is that written down somewhere? I'd love to know
    Just emulate what UE does when you add a class/struct.
    Which it to add a new file(.h/.cpp) in the appropriate folder and add the appropriate code.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Kris View Post

You can add C++ files/headers in VS if once you get to roughly know the setup.
    I do it all the time coz I can't be bothered opening the editor :P
    Is that written down somewhere? I'd love to know

Leave a comment:

• replied
    The thing with C++ is UE4.. one step at one time. When you are doing lots of things at once - when lots and lot of 'unknown' and strange errors appear, you are strangulating yourself there...
    Once you are already in 'there' with C++, you will be amazed on how much you can play with C++ - exposing functions to BP etc.

Leave a comment:

• replied

UPROPER() FMyStruct MyStruct; should be UPROPERTY()

Leave a comment:

• replied
    MyStruct.h

Code:
    // Copyright bla

#pragma once

#include "CoreMinimal.h"
    #include "ObjectMacros.h"

USTRUCT(BlueprintType)
    struct FMyStruct
    {
        GENERATED_BODY()

UPROPERTY(Category = "MyCat", BlueprintReadWrite)
        FName MyName;

UPROPERTY(Category = "MyCat", BlueprintReadWrite)
        FString MyString;

FMyStruct()
        {
        }
    };
    MyActor.h
    Code:
    // Copyright bla

#pragma once

#include "CoreMinimal.h"
    #include "MyStruct.h"

UCLASS()
    class AMyActor : public AActor
    {
        GENERATED_BODY()

public:
        AMyActor();

UPROPER()
        FMyStruct MyStruct;
    };
    Or am I missing something?

You can add C++ files/headers in VS if once you get to roughly know the setup.
    I do it all the time coz I can't be bothered opening the editor :P

It's ok to be frustrated at it
    We've all been there.

In terms of your compile issues, can compile a basic C++ project generated by the UE4 launcher in VS2017?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X