Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This engine is an insult to developers...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The thing with C++ is UE4.. one step at one time. When you are doing lots of things at once - when lots and lot of 'unknown' and strange errors appear, you are strangulating yourself there...
    Once you are already in 'there' with C++, you will be amazed on how much you can play with C++ - exposing functions to BP etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Kris View Post

You can add C++ files/headers in VS if once you get to roughly know the setup.
      I do it all the time coz I can't be bothered opening the editor :P
      Is that written down somewhere? I'd love to know

Comment

Originally posted by TriNityGER View Post

Is that written down somewhere? I'd love to know
        Just emulate what UE does when you add a class/struct.
        Which it to add a new file(.h/.cpp) in the appropriate folder and add the appropriate code.

HTH
        Never say Never, Because Never comes too soon. - ryan20fun

Frames Per Second is NOT a proper performance metric, You should use frame time. You can read this or this as to why.
        (Profiling) Tools: RenderDoc (UE4 Plugin), NVIDIA nSight, AMD GPU PerfStudio, CodeXL
        Good articles/Series: A trip through the Graphics Pipeline 2011

Comment

Originally posted by M3NTH0S View Post
          i know enough C++
          No you don't.

Comment

I think when it comes to "internet" everybody often have too bold opinions...
            I've been trying myself to be more realistic and refrain from posting harsh opinions, more often now remember myself that everything has problems in a way or another;

In the end it's unhealthy to expect any piece of software to be flawlessly perfect, not even hardware drivers are bug free, when even that low-end universe has so many problems I honestly have no idea how don't the whole software industry colapse somehow. Anyway, I just need to have the task done and in the end of the day I'm glad Unreal help me to deliver and that's pretty much what matters to me now... Expecting "perfection" from any software has become delusional.

lol even code compilers are filled with bugs...
            | Finite State Machine | Auto-Save Plugin | USQLite Plugin | Object-Pool Plugin | Sound-Occlusion Plugin | Anti-Cheat Plugin |

Comment

Originally posted by BrUnO XaVIeR View Post
              I think when it comes to "internet" everybody often have too bold opinions...
              I've been trying myself to be more realistic and refrain from posting harsh opinions, more often now remember myself that everything has problems in a way or another;

In the end it's unhealthy to expect any piece of software to be flawlessly perfect, not even hardware drivers are bug free, when even that low-end universe has so many problems I honestly have no idea how don't the whole software industry colapse somehow. Anyway, I just need to have the task done and in the end of the day I'm glad Unreal help me to deliver and that's pretty much what matters to me now... Expecting "perfection" from any software has become delusional.

lol even code compilers are filled with bugs...
              I agree on principle but not this particular case because arguing that an engine that has shipped hundreds of games successfully across a dozen platforms is somehow unusable and completely broken is, AT BEST, inane.

Comment

This is why I stay away from C++, it just wasn't made for some people. Blueprints on the other hand are pretty fun. On the technical side my game was **** I wouldn't dare try to fix it or even create something new in C++ unless I had a real programmer to do it.

Comment

And that's why i shall stick to more simplistic games to create.
                  ///DevDreReid///

Comment

Throw the toys out the pram

This is a great course for a good overview, highly recommend it:

https://www.udemy.com/unrealengine-cpp/

If you go to Tom's site you can get the course for $12 plus he also has some other useful tutorials.

https://www.tomlooman.com/ue4-cpp-tutorials/

Comment

Originally posted by savagebeasty View Post
                      Throw the toys out the pram

This is a great course for a good overview, highly recommend it:

https://www.udemy.com/unrealengine-cpp/

If you go to Tom's site you can get the course for $12 plus he also has some other useful tutorials.

https://www.tomlooman.com/ue4-cpp-tutorials/
                      I watched Tom's course at Udemy's for Multiplier in C++ with Unreal and loved it. I could also setup up everything in blueprints after that, so double win in my case.
                      Nilson Lima
                      Technical Director @ Rigel Studios Ltda - twitter: @RigelStudios
                      Art is a state of Spirit

Join us at Discord: https://discord.gg/QJUb5Wk
                      UE4 Marketplace:
                      Cloudscape Seasons

Comment

Yeah good lad is Tom good tuts.

The fact he was a programmer at epic means you know you're getting the best info aswell.

For $11 you cant go wrong.

p.s. im not on commission honest

Comment

Great tutorial! Between that and the gamedev.tv guys on udemy, there is a lot of information that can be learned and not for a lot of money either.

Comment

Working...
                          X