New workstation spec help - RAM amount

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New workstation spec help - RAM amount

I am finalizing the specs on a new workstation and am wondering how much RAM I actually need. My present rig has 16GB DD4 and I've really never had any memory problems, however I was considering upping the RAM on the new one to 32 GB. Is there any real need for that much RAM for the Unreal 4 editor and asset contents?

You can never have enough RAM, so I say go for 32gb.
    Bacon Man : An Adventure (UE4)

Comment

I'd say 16gb at the minimum, but definitely aim for more like 32gb. Depending on what all kinds of work you do, you can find yourself with six or seven different programs open; each eating up gigs of ram per program. That and, if you plan on doing baked lighting, you can never have enough ram.

Comment

In short: You can work with 8, shouldn't go below 16 and can never have enough.

Comment

I have 16gb and run into issues from low memory remaining all the time. It really depends on what other programs you use, but having Photoshop, 3dsMax, Visual Studio, and UE4 open at the same time will cause you to reach 16gb after some use.

Even just the UE4 editor can eat up that amount of ram sometimes, 4.19 has a memory leak that grows slowly while you use it and can end up using a considerable amount after a few hours.

So long as you monitor your memory usage you can get by with 16gb, 8gb is a bit low though, you will definitely hit the limit with that amount. If you can afford it go with 32gb (or even 24gb), if your budget can't allow that stick with 16gb.
          Free Community Ocean & Sky Project || Join us on Discord! || Trello Roadmap

Comment

Thanks, folks I'm going with 32 GB DD4.

Comment

Working...
            X