How to become a valuable developer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to become a valuable developer?

What makes a valuable and unreplacable developer?
    Which skills? Where to dig into?
    Should I have experience in a lot of engines, 3d programs, be able to animate, model, texture, work with sound, photoshop. I am looking to become a cheap labor and I have a lot of useful skills

You wouldn't necessarily want to spread yourself too thin across disciplines, but being able to learn quickly and adapt to new workflows/engines is definitely valuable given how tools are constantly evolving. =)

Simulacrum Game | Play The Alpha | Caldera Entertainment | Twitter | ArtStation

Comment

Originally posted by SE_JonF View Post
      You wouldn't necessarily want to spread yourself too thin across disciplines, but being able to learn quickly and adapt to new workflows/engines is definitely valuable given how tools are constantly evolving. =)

No, tools, frameworks and engines are not changing. And there are no frameworks, you consufe gamedev with web.
      And being adaptive is trait from birth, the question is how to become valuable

Comment

Hmm, if you are talking about the game development industry > deep knowledge of maxscript will make your part of the team very valuable. Just being as Technical artist/Technical Director in a team is very valuable.The skill of thinking out of the box is very valuable too.

Comment

How to become valuable
          After you've done all the technical hard slog. Ask yourself, what would make your boss or firm look better?
          Try to look at things from their perspective or walk in their shoes for a minute and forget your own life / self.
          So figure out what your boss / firm needs or wants, and help deliver that, or be actively part of the process.
          Hard to do most of the time, but worth it as an exercise especially in interviews to get taken more seriously.

If you don't know what I mean, find someone more experienced to do mock interviews with to challenge you.
          Get them to really beat you up in areas where you're weak. Have a strategy to deal with that as you'll need to.
          Overall, the worst thing you can do is the reverse: Think you add value, think you're valuable, when you're not.
          Devs say it all the time on here: Work hard, be knowledgeable, but be humble. Learn to set expectations too...

Its often said the secret to a long happy marriage is having low expectations from your partner.
          So set low or reasonable expectations then regularly surpass them, to create a sense of value.

Comment

Originally posted by Dudester01 View Post
            No, tools, frameworks and engines are not changing. And there are no frameworks, you consufe gamedev with web.
            And being adaptive is trait from birth, the question is how to become valuable
            False, and false. I've been in the industry around a decade, and I've gone through multiple engine and framework transitions. Being able to adapt to this is a learnt skill, I don't think anyone is capable of doing this gracefully without experiencing it at least once or twice.

Comment

Originally posted by ambershee View Post

False, and false. I've been in the industry around a decade, and I've gone through multiple engine and framework transitions. Being able to adapt to this is a learnt skill, I don't think anyone is capable of doing this gracefully without experiencing it at least once or twice.
              Things can change over a decade, but compared to web, things do not change
              Last edited by Dudester01; 06-28-2018, 09:23 AM.

Comment

I think you are forgetting that today the hardware and software is going a lot more faster than before. I have seen software that is mindblowing today so as ambeshee said, your opinion is false. (I am saying this in a positive tone )

Comment

Originally posted by NasteX View Post
                  I think you are forgetting that today the hardware and software is going a lot more faster than before. I have seen software that is mindblowing today so as ambeshee said, your opinion is false. (I am saying this in a positive tone )
                  okay, unreal engine is live for 4 years. By your logic it should had been replaced 3 years ago with ue5
                  Last edited by Dudester01; 06-28-2018, 09:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dudester01 View Post

okay, unreal engine is live for 4 years. By your logic it should had been replaced 3 years ago with ue5
                    just comparing 2 numbers out of the blue isn't going to make your statement valid again. Software development changed significantly with SaaS. Look at how UE4 evolved from 4.0 to 4.20.
                    You still have to adapt for that. And sometimes the changes ARE significant!

Comment

Working...
                    X