Maths in Programming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maths in Programming

My dad told me maths helps in programming, so i would just like to know, what level of maths should i learn for it to be helpful.

It largerly depends what do you wish to program. For 3d graphics, Geometry will serve you well, but for programming in general i found problem solving is required the most, once you can break down the task into small steps the program code will travel until the end result produces the required informations. You should be able to find great articles and excercises that help you pick up the language and the way of thinking required to solve problems in programming.
    * Sharp and responsive Temporal Anti-Aliasing tips and tricks
    * Pitch-shift source effect (DSP) over the network (VOIP)
    * My Portfolio and Developer Blog

Comment

Depends on the field of programming you want to do. If you are only dealing with logic then basic calculus is enough but for something like graphics programming linear algebra becomes important.

Comment

Programming is maths.

For games programming, you want to be familiar with algebra, vector math, geometry, and mechanics in particular. Knowledge of decision maths (i.e algorithms) is also very useful.

Comment

I would also agree that the "specific math" is not the hard part but the specific base algorithms of course and how they interconnect. Breaking down the whole to its very simplest form is no easy task. You just have to know when to use a different discipline of math and have it come together as basic functions that talk to each other....

Comment

Originally posted by ambershee View Post
            Programming is maths.

For games programming, you want to be familiar with algebra, vector math, geometry, and mechanics in particular. Knowledge of decision maths (i.e algorithms) is also very useful.
            That is quite alot of maths for me to learn, next to the basics, whats a good starting point?

Comment

Originally posted by GarnerP57 View Post
              Depends on the field of programming you want to do. If you are only dealing with logic then basic calculus is enough but for something like graphics programming linear algebra becomes important.
              Programming i see myself making a great variaton, i wanna make games both 2d and 3d, as well as more simpler programs such as patches to older games, no cd cracks, mods for various games(Minecraft being the main game i wanna make mods for), and well you get the idea. I wanna become a very versatile programmer, versed in C, C++, C#, Java and Python.

Comment

Originally posted by Konflict View Post
                It largerly depends what do you wish to program. For 3d graphics, Geometry will serve you well, but for programming in general i found problem solving is required the most, once you can break down the task into small steps the program code will travel until the end result produces the required informations. You should be able to find great articles and excercises that help you pick up the language and the way of thinking required to solve problems in programming.
                i see, well i better start dowloading some apps that will help me learn maths, because at my current level of knowledge, i need to relearn maths, as maths has been my weakest subject.

Comment

Originally posted by IDGam3r View Post

...I wanna become a very versatile programmer, versed in C, C++, C#, Java and Python.
                  If I were you I would focus on modern C++ and Python. Knowing how to read C is also valuable but you probably will never have to write it unless if you work with shader languages. I never really cared much for Java. C# is pretty nice to know about but if you know C++ then C# is easy to pick up.

Comment

i see, well i better start dowloading some apps that will help me learn maths, because at my current level of knowledge, i need to relearn maths, as maths has been my weakest subject.
                    At least you don't have a math disability like me

Comment

Originally posted by jojo8026 View Post

At least you don't have a math disability like me
                      I got a mental disability called Autism which makes learning some things difficult, among other things, so i dunno its possible i may end up tryna understand what im tryna learn and struggling(this was the case with me and maths in zchool), but hey i wanna get into making games and programs and whatnot so i just gotta grit my teeth and try my best, I'm not gonna learn any maths by not trying

Comment

Originally posted by GarnerP57 View Post

If I were you I would focus on modern C++ and Python. Knowing how to read C is also valuable but you probably will never have to write it unless if you work with shader languages. I never really cared much for Java. C# is pretty nice to know about but if you know C++ then C# is easy to pick up.

I shall explain why i want to learn the languages i chose:

Java: For the most part I only wanna learn Java so I can make Minecraft Shaders, Mods and Plugins as well as update old Mods and Plugins that havent been updated in a long time.

C: My favourite game Doom(1993) was coded in C, so to make Doom mods i need C to do so, plus I am under the belief that by learning C, most of C++ and C# should relatively be a walk in the park(C++ is an extention of C so therefore Learning C will be considerably helpfull)

C++: Unreal Engine 4 makes use of C++, so it makes sense to learn C++, plus by learning C++, C# will become easier again(I hate using the word easy in this context, but i cannot think of a more accurete word)

C#: Learning this will ensure I am up to date on my knowledge of the 3 main C Family programming languages, plus alot of people reccomended that i learn this Programming Language.

Python: No real reason why i want to learn this Programming Laguage, i just see this as another programming language that i think MIGHT come in handy sometime.

Comment

C: My favourite game Doom(1993) was coded in C, so to make Doom mods i need C to do so, plus I am under the belief that by learning C, most of C++ and C# should relatively be a walk in the park(C++ is an extention of C so therefore Learning C will be considerably helpfull)
                          If you learn C before C++ you will need to un-learn some things that are now handled better and easier in C++. Creating a solid foundation on C++ is still what I recommend before exploring the other languages or you may start to blend them together and learn bad practices.

Comment

That is quite alot of maths for me to learn, next to the basics, whats a good starting point?
                            High school math textbooks are probably a sound bet; Pure Math, Mechanics and Decision Math will have separate textbooks. You can probably skip Statistics.

Comment

I got a mental disability called Autism which makes learning some things difficult, among other things, so i dunno its possible i may end up tryna understand what im tryna learn and struggling(this was the case with me and maths in zchool), but hey i wanna get into making games and programs and whatnot so i just gotta grit my teeth and try my best, I'm not gonna learn any maths by not trying
                              I barely made it through college, luckily I had a math teacher who was willing to work overtime with me so that I was able to pass barely

Comment

Working...
                              X