No announcement yet.

Oculus bought by Facebook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wont go long into what I have too say otherwise I will be here for days. I like the idea that facebook wants to fund a small group of developers who do not have the funding too compete against microsoft and sony. Facebook is just taking them under their wing too help a small group out.

Congrats too Oculus
    Add my Skype
    Developers and Newbies Chat Group
    I build games for a living, But most of all I build them for my passion

Comment

Well Oculus is just a display right? So same as Micrisoft could not hold Kinect for themselfs, same Facebook wont hold Oculus
      =========
      My Tutorials:
      Basic knowledge about Classes and UObject environment and stuff like that

Comment

It's not the same thing--The Kinect technology was licensed from Primesense, Microsoft didn't own the technology. For the Kinect 2.0 that they released with the Xbox One they used a different technique. Apple bought Primesense so they own that technology and can license it how they feel but it doesn't matter to Microsoft anymore because they don't use it.
        For Oculus, Facebook now owns them completely and can choose what they want to do with it. Other companies can use similar techniques though for VR, like what Sony is doing with their headset. The deal though is that Sony isn't likely to make their headset work with other platforms. I think if Microsoft makes a headset for the Xbox One then it will likely have Windows support as well. And realistically with any of these headsets I would imagine that it wouldn't be impossible for some people to add drivers on their own if the company doesn't do it themselves.

Comment

I picked The New York Times up this morning and I read this:

Brendan Iribe, a co-founder and the chief executive of Oculus VR, said Facebook would be able to use the technology to allow avatars representing its members to interact with one another — perhaps by socializing at online parties.
          and this

According to a person involved in the deal who was not allowed to speak publicly because he was not authorized by either company, Facebook eventually plans to redesign the Oculus hardware and rebrand it with a Facebook interface and logo.
          I think that Facebook wants to be a little more directly involved than the Oculus team is letting on.

Link to the article.

Comment

Check out this podcast by Facebook talking about the potential of this acquisition
            http://www.shareholder.com/visitors/...&mediauserid=0

Comment

Kotaku - Oculus addresses some of the Internets biggest concerns

Comment

Working...
              X