UE4 - intel 7700K or AMD 1800X?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HEGI View Post
    Yea. Wondering if it is using all 8 cores of the ryzen for compiling ? The multicore performance has been much faster in all benchmarks i have seen so far.
    Does it say "16 in parallel" when it starts compiling? By default it fails to detect hyperthreading and only runs as many tasks as you have physical cores.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeblote View Post
      Does it say "16 in parallel" when it starts compiling? By default it fails to detect hyperthreading and only runs as many tasks as you have physical cores.
      Not having a Ryzen yet, but i'am really interested to see how it performs in UE4 overall. Hope there will be some more benchmarks and impressions by developers in the coming weeks.
      Michael Hegemann - https://twitter.com/HegiDev

Comment

Ive been benchmarking Ryzen Editor performance and will probably putup the results soon.

Comment

Unless you guys compile the exact same project the times you individualy get don't say much.

Comment

Originally posted by masterneme View Post
            Unless you guys compile the exact same project the times you individualy get don't say much.
            Why would that matter? Couldn't you just use something free on the market place so anyone could test, replicate, and add their own results?

Comment

I believe that building a particular version of the engine (4.15?) from the source is the most accessible way to benchmark Ryzen for UE4.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackSailSoft View Post
                Ive been benchmarking Ryzen Editor performance and will probably putup the results soon.
                Nice. How is the overall system stability so far, considering the bios versions are early ?
                Michael Hegemann - https://twitter.com/HegiDev

Comment

It may be that building with sufficient cores is actually I/O bound rather than CPU bound, and thus you'd be better off with a really fast SSD (M.2 PCIE or similar) ...

Comment

I am looking into getting new HW and this is (probably) relevant:

https://www.techpowerup.com/231585/a...t-memory-speed

In short: For memory dependent operations getting high speed ram is important. This can help to explain different results from tests that seems to be with equal HW.

Comment

Originally posted by ZacD View Post
                      Why would that matter?
                      It's pretty obvious, isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by ZacD View Post
                        Oh, there's one thing I forgot to ask about, in 4.11 Epic added Intel Embree support to speed up lightmass about about 2x. So in theory Intel processors still might be a lot faster for light map baking. Has anyone tried doing some comparable lightmass benchmarks?
                        Also interested in this

Comment

Originally posted by BlackSailSoft View Post
                          So where are your results? We want to see it

Comment

I'm also waiting for benchmarking result

Comment

Got mah R7 1700, but I'm waiting for a few more BIOS revisions before I try to push anything.

Didn't have enough money left to buy a hard drive and I want to avoid putting too much stuff on my shiny new evo 960 so UE4 might be waiting another week or so.

Comment

It may be a good idea to select something available for everyone as a common base for benchmarks like compiling the engine or baking the lights of the Infinity Blade maps or whatever. Maybe something with the Kite Demo? I don't know...

Comment

Working...
                                X