Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[TUTORIAL] Triplanar material

Project download link

I made a material that maps 3 different textures to an object based on it's xyz world orientation. It really speeds up the texturing process for rocks and other terrain features.
    I apologize in advance for the audio quality, the mic is from a 1990s Gateway computer.

Last edited by StevePeters; 03-21-2015, 08:24 PM. Reason: Added project download link

Comment

Added material functions:

Comment

this is great info.. thank you very much for putting it together!

Comment

You could instead just use the World Aligned Blend node, which is basically planar mapping.

Comment

Originally posted by ambershee View Post
            You could instead just use the World Aligned Blend node, which is basically planar mapping.
            It took me a little time to dig up documentation on the world aligned blend node (This is all that I found), it seems to work by modulating the alpha based on a surface slope. I'll play with the node a bit and post what I come up with.

Comment

It's a flexible material function with a few static switches that compile out based on what you're doing with it - you can open it right up and see what it's doing. You could quite happily use one for each planar blend through an axis though

Comment

In the end, I wasn't able to use the world aligned blend node. It has a pixelnormalWS node in it that prevents it from working with normal maps or displacement maps. I did figure out how to get the textures to project almost completely without stretching. Here's the (slightly modified) default UE4 rock that has vertex paintable displaced snow on top.

Comment

Repost bc forum outage

I uploaded 2 more triplanar tuts to youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2WKGIVr39E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yuvt3RatIE

and here is the material functions I used. Next up, projection texturing in local space.

Comment

Looks fantastic. Will this work with terrains as well; say the height is grass and the sides of the elevations are rock?

Comment

The most current version of the projection material allows for local or world space mapping (no heightmap based displacement on the local one though), wood grain type noise, and a rudimentary system for determining the projection direction. Instead of just being based on the XY or YZ planes you specify a rotation amount which is stored in the red and green channels of a vector. I'll make a vid about the usage of the material soon.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...onMaterials.7z

Comment

Very cool. I see this is actually a pretty old post? I'm glad you bumped it back into relevance.
                        I'm an artist! Check out my work at https://cinebst.wixsite.com/cinebeastart and hit me up!

You can e-mail me at cinebst@gmail.com.

Comment

Originally posted by Cinebeast View Post
                          Very cool. I see this is actually a pretty old post? I'm glad you bumped it back into relevance.
                          I got distracted with another project and never quite finished this one. I got a few questions on the materials so I decided that it would be best to get off my butt and clean it up so that I could share it.

This is what's in the project for those that are interested:

For the material experts out there, I'm changing the projection angle for the projection material by creating a new transform basis based on 2 scalar values (stored in a vector). The values work between 0.0001 and .49999 with larger and smaller values repeating. At 0 and .5 it suffers from what seems like gimbal lock. I can prevent this by clamping the values, but it feels kind of hackey to me. If anyone has a better method I'd love to hear it.

One cool thing about using a vector is that I can use a texture to determine projection direction. There's a raised panel door in the project which has the stiles and rails projected at different directions.

Comment

Damaged wall prof of concept

Comment

Oh sweet, i had a bit of an issue getting pattern variation right and was curious about decals, thanks for posting will check it out soon!
                              LEGENDS of EPICA [Twitter] [Facebook] [YouTube] [Vimeo]

Comment

Working...
                              X