[OPEN-SOURCE] Machinery Modelling Toolkit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kurosu143 View Post
    [MENTION=12960]BoredEngineer[/MENTION] I never made the aircraft fly by wire to work. Controlling yaw is kind of confusing.

Can you explain how your sub stepping works, in numbers maybe. What are the things needed to be exposed to be able to create one in the BP, the minimum possible. BTW your substepping works great, it even works at 1fps lol.

Can I maybe create a component that has a custom tick event.
    This article explains it quite well:
    http://www.aclockworkberry.com/unrea...e-substepping/
    and yes you can add custom tick for physics sub-steps on component level instead of Actor/Pawn, that's how it's done in the article. I use Pawn to have a full control over when and in which order components are called.
    Youtube Channel

Comment

Originally posted by BoredEngineer View Post
      First of all your Location can't be set to 0,0,0 as it means force is applied in the origin of the world.
      Second thing to check is that your turret and barrel are oriented in X axis, not Y.

Recoil Vector can be made like this too: GunBarrel->GetForwardVector() * -RecoilPower
      For location I now use the hull location. Changed the recoil vector to what you suggested with a recoilpower variable.
      But still can't seem to control or understand where the force is comming from. It now seems to always come from the top pushing down on the tank. It's probably because I'm such a noob with vecotrs in UE.. don't really understand a thing about them.
      Probably If I can somewhere add a + rotate in 90 degree's from the current vector I could get it to work.. but don't really know how to do that either.

Comment

Originally posted by OldRaven View Post
        For location I now use the hull location. Changed the recoil vector to what you suggested with a recoilpower variable.
        But still can't seem to control or understand where the force is comming from. It now seems to always come from the top pushing down on the tank. It's probably because I'm such a noob with vecotrs in UE.. don't really understand a thing about them.
        Probably If I can somewhere add a + rotate in 90 degree's from the current vector I could get it to work.. but don't really know how to do that either.
        I should be world space location of the barrel instead of a hull (technically it should be point where hydraulic recoil mechanism transfers some energy to turret). If it presses it down you might be using wrong vector direction. Could you post a screenshot of your barrel or turret or both as how they look like in editor? So axis in the corner is visible.
        Youtube Channel

Comment

Fire recoil

[MENTION=11228]OldRaven[/MENTION]

I've added example into MMT_Content, look for this tank and corresponding class name of the right:
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Turret_Control_p5.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	688.3 KB
ID:	1118032

but in case you can't open or use it for some reason, this is the graph:

Name:	Turret_Control.PNG
Size:	260.5 KB
ID:	1118028

project input settings:

Name:	Turret_Control_p2.PNG
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	1118029

and this is how meshes are oriented during the import - both go along the red X axis:

Name:	Turret_Control_p3.PNG
Size:	555.8 KB
ID:	1118031

Name:	Turret_Control_p4.PNG
Size:	520.4 KB
ID:	1118030
          Youtube Channel

Comment

Originally posted by BoredEngineer View Post
            [MENTION=11228]OldRaven[/MENTION]

I've added example into MMT_Content, look for this tank and corresponding class name of the right:
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]116610[/ATTACH]

but in case you can't open or use it for some reason, this is the graph:
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]116605[/ATTACH]

project input settings:
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]116606[/ATTACH]

and this is how meshes are oriented during the import - both go along the red X axis:
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]116609[/ATTACH]
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]116607[/ATTACH]
            I see my Turret and Barrel mesh are pointing in the Y direction. And yours is pointing in X. That should explain why my force seems to some from a different angle.

Comment

[MENTION=12960]BoredEngineer[/MENTION] Hey, I get this error every tick in the output log when using your plugin on other projects(bp or c++) when using the EventPhysicsTick connected to any AddForce. No crashes and it's working fine but the error message.

Is the plugin only allowed in the MMTContent project or do I need to change some settings to the project? I haven't tested if the substepping works when getting this error.

LogPhysics:Error: PHYSX: (D:\Build\++UE4+Release-4.13+Compile\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Public\PhysXPublic.h 241) eINVALID_OPERATION : PxScene::lockWrite() detected after a PxScene::lockRead(), lock upgrading is not supported, behaviour will be undefined.
              LogPhysics:Error: PHYSX: (..\..\PhysX\src\NpScene.cpp 2946) eINVALID_OPERATION : PxScene::unlockWrite() called without matching call to PxScene::lockWrite(), behaviour will be undefined.

Comment

[MENTION=12960]BoredEngineer[/MENTION] Hey, I get this error every tick in the output log when using your plugin on other projects(bp or c++) when using the EventPhysicsTick connected to any AddForce. No crashes and it's working fine but the error message.

Is the plugin only allowed in the MMTContent project or do I need to change some settings to the project? I haven't tested if the substepping works when getting this error.

LogPhysics:Error: PHYSX: (D:\Build\++UE4+Release-4.13+Compile\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Public\PhysXPublic.h 241) eINVALID_OPERATION : PxScene::lockWrite() detected after a PxScene::lockRead(), lock upgrading is not supported, behaviour will be undefined.
                LogPhysics:Error: PHYSX: (..\..\PhysX\src\NpScene.cpp 2946) eINVALID_OPERATION : PxScene::unlockWrite() called without matching call to PxScene::lockWrite(), behaviour will be undefined.
                Are you using MMTAddForce or regular one? As they are different
                Youtube Channel

Comment

Another thing is to make sure that you've enabled sub-stepping in the projects settings. Outside of that I'm not sure what else you would need to change. People used it in other than MMT project and I tested it in the plugin project itself couple of times.
                  Youtube Channel

Comment

I see, I didn't enabled it on other projects.

BTW, I made my own aerodynamics system, I noticed yours uses torque for the pitching moment. Is using add force at location directly at the tail any different. Also I've been having a hard time finding the calculation for skin friction drag any idea how to estimate it?
                    Last edited by kurosu143; 11-09-2016, 07:37 PM.

Comment

I see, I didn't enabled it on other projects.

BTW, I made my own aerodynamics system, I noticed yours uses torque for the pitching moment. Is using add force at location directly at the tail any different. Also I've been having a hard time finding the calculation for skin friction drag any idea how to estimate it?
                      Any force applied away from the center of mass will generate torque, so you can apply it as a force and not as torque, I don't remember why I do like that

I think skin friction drag is either already included into one of the "classical" empiric formulas of drag or it's not as significant as other parts. Last time I've read literature on this is about 6 month ago, so it's a bit blurry. To be honest, I was more occupied with the simulation of proper down-wash on wings, depended on their shape and speed. Haven't really solved it, some good example that I've found where a bit too heavy on math for my skills.
                      I can check in the book but pure skin drag was something like a small percent of the total drag and unless you build real airplane doesn't make sense to bother. I might be wrong and it was written about something else. Will try to check on that.
                      Youtube Channel

Comment

Is downwash the vortex produced by the wings that slows the aircraft when lifting? Isn't that just dependent on the aspect ratio of the wings? High aspect ratio means low induced drag. Or is it something different?

Right now I have induced drag + interference drag on my aircraft, I wonder if that's enough drag or is there any other significant drag out there?

Comment

Is downwash the vortex produced by the wings that slows the aircraft when lifting? Isn't that just dependent on the aspect ratio of the wings? High aspect ratio means low induced drag. Or is it something different?

Right now I have induced drag + interference drag on my aircraft, I wonder if that's enough drag or is there any other significant drag out there?
                          Regarding skin drag. On wing surface it should be already "baked" into your curves. For other parts of airplane - fuselage/engines/nosels/landing gear and etc. check this:
                          Search in google for "INTRODUCTION TO AERONAUTICS: A DESIGN PERSPECTIVECHAPTER 4: WINGS AND AIRPLANES" first link will be a word document. On page 35 of this document you will see Parasitic Drag chapter and example of it's calculation for real airplane. Would be cool to make an editor in UE4 for drag components, so you could place basic shapes in BP and select drag coefficients from catalog. But don't really have time to do this.

Downwash is a bit more involved. Empirical method states that wings of perfect ellipse form, have lowest downwash effect. In practice, not only pure aspect ratio, but form of the tip of the wing, tapper, proportion of width of tip and base, all this have significant effect on downwash. There is "aspect ratio" approximation to all of them, but it doesn't combine well when multiple alterations are involved, nor it's accurate enough for what I want to achieve.
                          In my case, wing is constructed out of segments of different airfoils, and accurate downwash can be achieved computationally in pre-processing, as in this example:
                          http://m-selig.ae.illinois.edu/pubs/...opeAeroSim.pdf
                          but math there is a bit beyond my grasp to get it running over the weekend. I'll come back to it some later time.
                          Last edited by BoredEngineer; 11-10-2016, 06:09 AM.
                          Youtube Channel

Comment

Very nice work ! This looks amazing !

MarketPlace Assets:|Time SHIFT| |Quick Gravity Tools|

{Time SHIFT Free Demo} |Quick Gravity Tools Free Demo| {Time SHIFT Forum Thread}

|Facebook| |Youtube| |E-mail|

Comment

Привет. Хорошая работа. Можешь обновить до 4.14?

Comment

Originally posted by FerrariHD View Post
                                Привет. Хорошая работа. Можешь обновить до 4.14?
                                Updated plugin to 4.14.1, the Content part is still on 4.13, going to finish some work before upgrading to latest stable.
                                Youtube Channel

Comment

Working...
                                X