X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BoredEngineer View Post
    Looking at the Tooner's implementation:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_ky9LhbxZI

Tracks animation looks really good, they bend over obstacles and imitate tension of the track. Not sure how exactly he did it, most likely by tracing against ground between roadwheels and adjusting height of the control points if track is not too tense. On the top, most likely some pre-defined points are relaxed if track is not tense. Should try implementing something like this. One could actually test collision of the roadwheels against the spline instead of the ground. Would eliminate most of the issue with getting "stuck" in obstacles and ride should be smoother.
    wow.. amazing.

Love the gun tracking system also. And the sound delay. Check the neutral turn combined with the gun stabilizing

Comment

Is your secondary suspension arm is a skeletal mesh? As they do lag behind unless you move them in local space only. Otherwise not sure what is wrong. Can you show how you do calculation for animation?
      At first I had it set up by doing a LookAt rotation towards a socket on the lower arm, rotating it in world space. However your answer gave me the idea to do it with trignometrics and a local rotation as seen here:

Unfortunatly the result is the same lag as in the gif I already posted. The upper arm is a static mesh, but in what way does it matter if it is a skeletal mesh and wether the rotation happens in word space or local space?

In theory yes. But keep in mind that currently implemented Differential is a Locked Differential and for cars you need a bit more advanced version of it - Limited Slip Differential, which allows for differential to be open when there is no torque coming into the system and gets locked as you push pedal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujsxq9WBllU
      Locked differential might work in principal for off-road vehicle, but you might have issue with turning it as wheels will be slipping not able to rotate with different velocities. For the tank it's not a problem as there are clutches between track and differential.

Having said that, be aware that WheelAxle component was something that I've added very early in the development of the ModularDriveTrain and never used since, I don't think it will work correctly. Instead, you could use TrackProcessorModular as a "wheel processor", just make sure to set weight of the tread to something very small, like 1kg or less. Pretend that you are driving on sprockets
      Otherwise, you are correct. Information passes from engine down to differentials and track/wheel processor, here we calculate how track/wheel should rotate because of the engine torque and provide information about "desired" wheel velocity to friction component. Friction component tells back how much "reaction" force we should apply to the track/wheel (handled by track/wheel processor) because of friction and then data flows back to the engine.
      I'm not quite the expert in mechanical engineering but I'll do some research in how differentials actually work and how it could be implemented, thanks for the heads up. As for driving with the sprocket, thats a great idea and makes things a bit simpler for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Xazas View Post
        At first I had it set up by doing a LookAt rotation towards a socket on the lower arm, rotating it in world space. However your answer gave me the idea to do it with trignometrics and a local rotation as seen here:

Unfortunatly the result is the same lag as in the gif I already posted. The upper arm is a static mesh, but in what way does it matter if it is a skeletal mesh and wether the rotation happens in word space or local space?
        It might be issue with synchronization. Try using one of the MMT functions to get transform of the lower arm. "MMT Get Transform -Comp" reads transform directly from the rigid body and should get proper coordinates even if "rendering" objects are not synced yet, it has option to use Socket too.
        With Skeletal meshes it's weird when they are updated, they seam to be lagging by one frame behind the "root" body, as if they are synced at a different time, then the rest of the components. I had this problem with the Hovercraft air cushion skirt. When you move them in local space, you immediately see changes as "lagging" transform of the parent doesn't effect then anymore.

Originally posted by Xazas View Post
        I'm not quite the expert in mechanical engineering but I'll do some research in how differentials actually work and how it could be implemented, thanks for the heads up. As for driving with the sprocket, thats a great idea and makes things a bit simpler for me.
        You should be able to drive it with closed differential, it would be kind of like when on 4WD jeeps it's switched to "maximum grip" mode, when you want to go over mud or some boulders. But usually you drive very slow.
        If you start skidding too easily during turns, as wheels can't spin with proper velocity, just set higher coefficients of friction for Y axis. This won't be realistic but at least something.
        Youtube Channel

Comment

Looks like great plugin, but is it possible to make a simple car with it?

Comment

Originally posted by Legolax View Post
            Looks like great plugin, but is it possible to make a simple car with it?
            Yes, it's possible. What is missing is "proper" tyre physics simulation. Anisotropic friction component can be used for a sort of approximation of how tire works but for a racing game with real cars it might be too crude. It should work just fine for something like Mad Max cars.
            Youtube Channel

Comment

Thats great, but I`ve tried to make a new blueprint that implamant MMTPawn class, I`ve set up cube and added 4 cylinders as wheels, but my pawn wan`t move, may I ask about a little help? How to setup a simple car?
              Last edited by Legolax; 08-17-2016, 08:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Legolax View Post
                Thats great, but I`ve tried to make a new blueprint that implamant MMTPawn class, I`ve set up cube and added 4 cylinders as wheels, but my pawn wan`t move, may I ask about a little help? How to setup a simple car?
                I could make a simple example of the car. Overall, you need 4 track processors - one per each wheel. 4 collision meshes for wheels with some sort of suspension, like linear drive of physics constraint. 4 anisotropic friction components to get some sort of tire simulation.

I'm on vacation right now with Internet access only on the phone. So providing a more detailed tutorial is rather difficult
                Youtube Channel

Comment

That would be fantastic, I`ve tried to make a vehicle followinf tank tutorial but didnt get success, so little tutorial about vehicle would be great.

Comment

Hi, thanks for your hard work!
                    Are there any plans to develop a jet engine type? Or something similar to the ion, plasma?
                    Maybe you can convert your engine, which he based on traction, friction, air resistance, gave acceleration?

Comment

Originally posted by Yakim View Post
                      Hi, thanks for your hard work!
                      Are there any plans to develop a jet engine type? Or something similar to the ion, plasma?
                      Maybe you can convert your engine, which he based on traction, friction, air resistance, gave acceleration?
                      Not sure what you mean. Jet engine for airplane?
                      Youtube Channel

Comment

Almost for the aircraft
                        My technique is different from the aircraft so that it does not fly, and hovering above the ground, as the hovercraft, respectively it has no friction.
                        As planned, he soars with the help of anti-gravity, and pushes its ion engine.
                        Sorry for my english)

Comment

By the way, how well the physics of buildable in multiplayer?

Comment

Originally posted by Yakim View Post
                            By the way, how well the physics of buildable in multiplayer?
                            I haven't looked into it but there are posts here where people did made it run over the multiplayer. Position replication should work, anything more complicated would require extra work.
                            Youtube Channel

Comment

Switched to 4.13. Both plugin and content are migrated. Previous version 4.12 is in separate branches on GitHub.
                              Youtube Channel

Comment

Switched to 4.13. Both plugin and content are migrated. Previous version 4.12 is in separate branches on GitHub.
                                A quick question, if you please: using this plugin I would be able to simulate an backhoe, with the arms movement, physics and etc? I was reading about your plugin, but could not find my answear.
                                Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                                X