Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[OPEN-SOURCE] Machinery Modelling Toolkit

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Alright,

    I got the Reset Friction Points and the Update Friction functions ready.
    Added everything needed in the Event Graph for only the foreward/backward movement with basic combustion engine.

    Everything works fine.

    Tommorow I will add the steering and start on adding the instanced tracks.

    Then I can start tweaking the suspension settings and all other settings.

    Comment


      Originally posted by OldRaven View Post
      Alright,

      I got the Reset Friction Points and the Update Friction functions ready.
      Added everything needed in the Event Graph for only the foreward/backward movement with basic combustion engine.

      Everything works fine.

      Tommorow I will add the steering and start on adding the instanced tracks.

      Then I can start tweaking the suspension settings and all other settings.
      Brakes would be the easiest option for steering regardless if modular drive train or a simpler solution is used. Many early tanks used clutch and brake for steering. Steering lever had two ranges, first half of the range disengages the clutch, in the mid position the clutch is completely disengaged and track speed have no influence on the engine. Second range engages brakes as just disconnecting clutch from the transmission is not enough for the steering. This way driver can halt tank really fast if needed and still keep engine running.
      Tigers and Panthers had different steering system, as far as I know, they had multiple gearboxes. Main gearbox would connect engine to the rest of transmission and two other gearboxes connect sprockets to the transmission. I haven't tried it yet but I think it's possible to build this using modular drive train. Not too sure how to make actual controls for this setup as it requires pair of actions mapped for each track, like 4 buttons just for steering. Would be easier with gamepad.
      Youtube Channel

      Comment


        Originally posted by BoredEngineer View Post
        Brakes would be the easiest option for steering regardless if modular drive train or a simpler solution is used. Many early tanks used clutch and brake for steering. Steering lever had two ranges, first half of the range disengages the clutch, in the mid position the clutch is completely disengaged and track speed have no influence on the engine. Second range engages brakes as just disconnecting clutch from the transmission is not enough for the steering. This way driver can halt tank really fast if needed and still keep engine running.
        Tigers and Panthers had different steering system, as far as I know, they had multiple gearboxes. Main gearbox would connect engine to the rest of transmission and two other gearboxes connect sprockets to the transmission. I haven't tried it yet but I think it's possible to build this using modular drive train. Not too sure how to make actual controls for this setup as it requires pair of actions mapped for each track, like 4 buttons just for steering. Would be easier with gamepad.
        For testing with the suspension, and getting all my internal camera controls in there.. I will just add the steering of the T26.

        With the gearbox etc I really need your help later.
        Your modular drive train setup is already a step in the right direction control wise.

        I know that the tiger has multiple gearboxes.

        When you start the engine.. you rev it up to 2000 rpm, and it stays there. Then you just work your way through the gears with the clutch from 1 to 8 foreward.. and you 4 reverse gears.
        So all you need is what you already have in the modular drive train demo.. a clutch, an up and down shift button, the engine start button and a button to rev the engine up and down (arrow keys up and down for example when you are the driver)

        I'm not 100% sure yet how the steering works.. what I do know is that when you turn the steering wheel between 0 -30 degree it does a shallow turn, and when you turn the wheel over 30 degrees it does a tight turn.
        When you put the tiger in neutral gear and turn the wheel it does a neutral turn (on the spot turn). It has these large disc brakes left and right in the gearboxes at the sprockets.. I assume when you turn the steering wheel it will apply a brake force to the gearbox of the sprocket you are steering towards.
        I have all the technical manuals.. I'm sure it's all described in there.

        Then I have the idea of having a simple control scheme when you are the commander or gunner.. where you just say foreward , stop or backward and turn left / right. And the turns should be in let's say 22 degree intervals. So when you tap left.. it turns 22 degrees left and continues to go forward. You need this as commander because you have no time to micromanage the driver.. you need to keep your eye on the surroundings. Same as in steel beasts.. works like a charm.

        But as the driver I like the more realistic controls.

        Comment


          I added steering for now just like the t26 example.

          However.. the tank does not turn.. I'm thinking.. since the Tiger has so many more wheels.. can the friction force be so great that with the default setup it just does not have enough power to turn .

          What are the important settings to look out for to get the brake steering work?

          Comment


            Originally posted by OldRaven View Post
            I added steering for now just like the t26 example.

            However.. the tank does not turn.. I'm thinking.. since the Tiger has so many more wheels.. can the friction force be so great that with the default setup it just does not have enough power to turn .

            What are the important settings to look out for to get the brake steering work?
            Do you see tracks stopping when you push on brakes? Check if the track velocity is passed properly into Track Anisotropic Friction components in Update Friction function. The other thing which was weird but I forgot about it, maybe it was just migration bug, there were no input connection in OnComponentHit event branch. The branch is there expecting BlockingHit as input, to be sure the data is passed only when collision happens.

            If above doesn't help, send me BP and I'll take a look at it, might be missing something.
            Youtube Channel

            Comment


              It is acting kind of weird.. suspension seems very stiff and not really doing anything.. maybe something is broken.. I noticed the missing input connections when I got the blueprint back from you and fixed that. All other connection seem to be fine, also in the update friction function.

              Maybe it's better to send it back to you.. could be a migration bug.. maybe you can get it working again.

              Comment


                Originally posted by OldRaven View Post
                It is acting kind of weird.. suspension seems very stiff and not really doing anything.. maybe something is broken.. I noticed the missing input connections when I got the blueprint back from you and fixed that. All other connection seem to be fine, also in the update friction function.

                Maybe it's better to send it back to you.. could be a migration bug.. maybe you can get it working again.
                Sure, I can take a look. Most likely I forgot something
                Youtube Channel

                Comment


                  Originally posted by OldRaven View Post
                  It is acting kind of weird.. suspension seems very stiff and not really doing anything.. maybe something is broken.. I noticed the missing input connections when I got the blueprint back from you and fixed that. All other connection seem to be fine, also in the update friction function.

                  Maybe it's better to send it back to you.. could be a migration bug.. maybe you can get it working again.
                  So, the good news is that I think I found a better way how to tune suspension. What I did for the Tiger is set torsion bar levers and their physics constraint to a 0,0,0 rotation. As I've mentioned before, normally that wouldn't work correctly, so what I did is set Angular Orientation Target to 0, -15, 0 which means we want to keep torsion bar lever at 15 degrees from default position. With a bit of tweaking for the force of the angular drive (I think last number was very small like 10000) it started to behave really nice - smoothly going over the obstacles with just a bit of the sway on the tank hull.

                  The bad news is that the way how I setup controls using brakes is not even suppose to work correctly - have no idea why it works in T-26, somehow VehicleRightLeft event is called after VehicleForwardBackward event in T-26, but they are called in reverse order in Tiger. The logic there is a bit stupid, but it works in T-26. In RightLeft event I set Brakes to 1.0 if buttons are pressed, in ForwardBackward I set Brakes to 0.0 if Backward button is not pressed, to disable brakes if you are trying to move forward.
                  I need to think about how to rewrite this properly.
                  Youtube Channel

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by BoredEngineer View Post
                    So, the good news is that I think I found a better way how to tune suspension. What I did for the Tiger is set torsion bar levers and their physics constraint to a 0,0,0 rotation. As I've mentioned before, normally that wouldn't work correctly, so what I did is set Angular Orientation Target to 0, -15, 0 which means we want to keep torsion bar lever at 15 degrees from default position. With a bit of tweaking for the force of the angular drive (I think last number was very small like 10000) it started to behave really nice - smoothly going over the obstacles with just a bit of the sway on the tank hull.

                    The bad news is that the way how I setup controls using brakes is not even suppose to work correctly - have no idea why it works in T-26, somehow VehicleRightLeft event is called after VehicleForwardBackward event in T-26, but they are called in reverse order in Tiger. The logic there is a bit stupid, but it works in T-26. In RightLeft event I set Brakes to 1.0 if buttons are pressed, in ForwardBackward I set Brakes to 0.0 if Backward button is not pressed, to disable brakes if you are trying to move forward.
                    I need to think about how to rewrite this properly.
                    Can you give me your Constraint Settings for the suspension arm?

                    I changed the setup like you said with an Angular orientation Target set to 0, -25 , 0 and the stance is good when stationary.

                    I have the Hull weight set to 46000 Kg, which is roughly the weight of the lower part of the tiger.

                    Angular Position Strength is set to 4000000
                    Angular Position Velocity is set to 5000

                    I cannot find a way to make the suspension softer and increase the angle the wheels can rotate when you go over an obstacle.

                    I tried lowering both values, and also increasing the Swing 2limit Angle to the max of 180 degrees.. but the suspension "seems" very stiff or almost absent.

                    Click image for larger version

Name:	ice_screenshot_20160705-120428.png
Views:	1
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	1111520

                    btw.. when I add the actual track weight in the TrackSprocketProcessor .. the tank will not move foreward backward maybe not enough torque?
                    The track Weight on one side for the tiger is 2800 Kg, and the Sprocket Weight is estimated at 200Kg

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by OldRaven View Post
                      Can you give me your Constraint Settings for the suspension arm?

                      I changed the setup like you said with an Angular orientation Target set to 0, -25 , 0 and the stance is good when stationary.

                      I have the Hull weight set to 46000 Kg, which is roughly the weight of the lower part of the tiger.

                      Angular Position Strength is set to 4000000
                      Angular Position Velocity is set to 5000

                      I cannot find a way to make the suspension softer and increase the angle the wheels can rotate when you go over an obstacle.

                      I tried lowering both values, and also increasing the Swing 2limit Angle to the max of 180 degrees.. but the suspension "seems" very stiff or almost absent.

                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]100732[/ATTACH]

                      btw.. when I add the actual track weight in the TrackSprocketProcessor .. the tank will not move foreward backward maybe not enough torque?
                      The track Weight on one side for the tiger is 2800 Kg, and the Sprocket Weight is estimated at 200Kg
                      Can't check my settings now but this is what you can try:
                      - give a freedom to move of about 60-90 degrees
                      - set Angular Position Velocity to 10
                      - set Angular Position Strength to a 1000 and raise by x10 increment until it becomes too stiff, then lower it by x5 and etc.
                      - when you find value for Angular Position Strength that you like start raising Angular Position Velocity by small increments to remove wobbliness of suspension

                      Yes you would need more torque or higher gear ratio to pull heavier track and sprocket. Multiply it by 10 and see how it works.
                      Youtube Channel

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by BoredEngineer View Post
                        Can't check my settings now but this is what you can try:
                        - give a freedom to move of about 60-90 degrees
                        - set Angular Position Velocity to 10
                        - set Angular Position Strength to a 1000 and raise by x10 increment until it becomes too stiff, then lower it by x5 and etc.
                        - when you find value for Angular Position Strength that you like start raising Angular Position Velocity by small increments to remove wobbliness of suspension

                        Yes you would need more torque or higher gear ratio to pull heavier track and sprocket. Multiply it by 10 and see how it works.
                        ah yes.. thanx.. I see now.. the suspension really starts to work

                        Comment


                          Could you please post a screenshot of the steering controls in Event Graph? I vaguely remember how it looks, but I could do a bit a of planning on how to solve it before I get home.
                          Youtube Channel

                          Comment


                            sure..

                            here's only the steering part..

                            Click image for larger version

Name:	ice_screenshot_20160705-133612.png
Views:	1
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	1111523

                            This is throttle and steering

                            Click image for larger version

Name:	ice_screenshot_20160705-133704.png
Views:	1
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	1111524

                            If you need more.. just let me know.

                            Comment


                              this is the Physics tick part

                              Click image for larger version

Name:	ice_screenshot_20160705-133922.png
Views:	1
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	1111525

                              Comment


                                Grand Merci! This is very helpful.
                                Youtube Channel

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X