Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[OPEN-SOURCE] Machinery Modelling Toolkit

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Something went wrong with recompilation then, the only c++ class I have is MMTPawn which is added as part of the plugin. How exactly did you re-compiled it? Did you added some c++ class from the editor first or Generated Project Files before opening the project first time?
    Youtube Channel

    Comment


      Originally posted by BoredEngineer View Post
      Something went wrong with recompilation then, the only c++ class I have is MMTPawn which is added as part of the plugin. How exactly did you re-compiled it? Did you added some c++ class from the editor first or Generated Project Files before opening the project first time?
      I just added Content folder and Plugin folder into my project. After that I Generated Project Files and recompiled my project by entering VS file. I can play on map, can do anything but after adding that variable, UE going crazy.

      Comment


        Originally posted by wiNt View Post
        I just added Content folder and Plugin folder into my project. After that I Generated Project Files and recompiled my project by entering VS file. I can play on map, can do anything but after adding that variable, UE going crazy.
        I don't think you are suppose to just copy Content folder. Normally, assets should be migrated from one project into another. Anyway, it looks like plugin doesn't compile properly for you, did you got any warning or errors on compilation?
        Youtube Channel

        Comment


          I starting project without errors. Copying always worked for me, also it's not like plugin never worked. It working well till I trying to add variable. Its weird that Blueprint is just missing classes.

          Comment


            Originally posted by wiNt View Post
            I starting project without errors. Copying always worked for me, also it's not like plugin never worked. It working well till I trying to add variable. Its weird that Blueprint is just missing classes.
            The point behind migrating is to have a proper referential integrity and "proper" assets. I'm using git as version control and files on hard drive is not the same thing as assets in the project. For example there are two "Blueprints" folder from the file system point of view but they are visible as a single folder in the editor. There some redirectors too, which you don't see from the editor.
            Migrate assets that you want to use and check if you get any warnings on compilation.
            Youtube Channel

            Comment


              Originally posted by BoredEngineer View Post
              The point behind migrating is to have a proper referential integrity and "proper" assets. I'm using git as version control and files on hard drive is not the same thing as assets in the project. For example there are two "Blueprints" folder from the file system point of view but they are visible as a single folder in the editor. There some redirectors too, which you don't see from the editor.
              Migrate assets that you want to use and check if you get any warnings on compilation.
              Unfortunately same thing after migrating. 0 warnings / errors after compilation.

              Comment


                Originally posted by wiNt View Post
                Unfortunately same thing after migrating. 0 warnings / errors after compilation.
                Strange. Just to be sure I'll take some c++ template, like FPS and try to migrate M113 there together with a plugin.
                Is your project a c++ project? Which version of the engine are you using? Which version of VS are you using?
                Youtube Channel

                Comment


                  Originally posted by BoredEngineer View Post
                  Strange. Just to be sure I'll take some c++ template, like FPS and try to migrate M113 there together with a plugin.
                  Is your project a c++ project? Which version of the engine are you using? Which version of VS are you using?
                  Alright, so started blank C++ project and I also have these errors after adding variable.
                  Could you try to add your plugin with FPS Template but C++ ?
                  If you will not have a problem, it seems like I adding something wrong.
                  If you will have a problem, it seems like it's not working with C++.

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by wiNt View Post
                    Alright, so started blank C++ project and I also have these errors after adding variable.
                    Could you try to add your plugin with FPS Template but C++ ?
                    If you will not have a problem, it seems like I adding something wrong.
                    If you will have a problem, it seems like it's not working with C++.
                    1) Added new C++ FPS template project closed editor
                    2) Copied content of this repository https://github.com/BoredEngineer/MMT_Plugin into [project folder]/Plugins/MMT/ folder
                    3) Opened new project and MMT_Content
                    4) In MMT_Content selected M113 blueprint and migrated it into test project
                    5) Opened test project, added new BP of Pawn and added variable of M113 reference
                    6) Closed project and opened it again, everything works
                    7) Added a character c++ class and re-build solution from VS, everything works

                    Make sure you've installed plugin into proper folder, you can check if it is installed properly in Settings->Plugins, it should be at the end of the list:
                    https://www.dropbox.com/s/1fltbrhvbm..._Test.JPG?dl=0
                    Youtube Channel

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by BoredEngineer View Post
                      1) Added new C++ FPS template project closed editor
                      2) Copied content of this repository https://github.com/BoredEngineer/MMT_Plugin into [project folder]/Plugins/MMT/ folder
                      3) Opened new project and MMT_Content
                      4) In MMT_Content selected M113 blueprint and migrated it into test project
                      5) Opened test project, added new BP of Pawn and added variable of M113 reference
                      6) Closed project and opened it again, everything works
                      7) Added a character c++ class and re-build solution from VS, everything works

                      Make sure you've installed plugin into proper folder, you can check if it is installed properly in Settings->Plugins, it should be at the end of the list:
                      https://www.dropbox.com/s/1fltbrhvbm..._Test.JPG?dl=0
                      Did all that steps and again stopped on :
                      6) Closed project and opened it again, everything works

                      ✔ Plugins folder :

                      Click image for larger version

Name:	plugins.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	1106642

                      ✔ Migrated content :

                      Click image for larger version

Name:	m113m.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	1106643

                      ✔ Adding variable of M113 :

                      Click image for larger version

Name:	player.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	382.2 KB
ID:	1106644

                      ✘Closing and opening project again :

                      Click image for larger version

Name:	project.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	348.4 KB
ID:	1106645

                      ✔ Plugin is installed :

                      Click image for larger version

Name:	installed.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	197.0 KB
ID:	1106646

                      - Using Visual Studio 2015
                      - Using 4.11.2 version of Unreal Engine
                      Last edited by wiNt; 05-20-2016, 12:39 AM.

                      Comment


                        No Idea then, judging from a screenshot, MMTPawn class is not accessible (or something like that) after you restart editor. As indicated by "None" parent of M113, with most likely "None" parent of A_Tracked_Vehicle too.
                        Maybe some issue with file access rights, not sure.
                        Youtube Channel

                        Comment


                          Maybe this is off topic.. but I have a question for everyone using ever progressing blueprints and code that someone else is working on.

                          What is your method of using for example the MMToolkit for your own subject and moving to a new update without having to redo things you did with it.
                          I like to pickup where I left.. but since this is an ever progressing project.. I hate having to keep redoing an implementation.

                          So let's say I continue with the tiger (which will be a long running project), what is the best way to keep updating something like MMT without having to redo anything.

                          How do you all do it?

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by OldRaven View Post
                            How do you all do it?
                            Not at all to be honest. It kind of goes without saying that if someone provides a plug-in for the community, then it is done backwards compatible.

                            For example take a look at UE4 versioning. Every update introduces bugs and breaks things because Epic likes new features at the expense of quality control. (which is fine, it is just one strategy among many)
                            That's why most people stay with their one development version until the end and never update once their project has become a large project that would ask for a full beta test after an update, because you never know what booby traps Epic planted this time for you.
                            That being said, I am also aware that it is not going to change because upping the Quality Department would probably exceed Epic's finances as a SME.

                            Comment


                              See it like this.

                              Let's say I am working on a project to create a tank simulator (fictional story).
                              I'm in charge of the assets and implementing it into an existing framework.

                              That framework is being worked on by a programmer (in this case that is MMT).

                              So you start with what you have.. programmer works on adding new functionality and fixing things.
                              I do a first drivable implementation of the assets in the blueprint.

                              That frame work keeps improving.. just like the assets keep changing.

                              more or less a basic gamedeveloper scenario.

                              But I do get your point in sticking with what you have and picking when to update parts or not. Usually when I'm working on a project that started in a certain version.. I stay with it until it's done.
                              I really never upgrade when a newer version comes out unless there is something in there I really need.
                              Last edited by OldRaven; 05-20-2016, 10:39 AM.

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by OldRaven View Post
                                See it like this.

                                Let's say I am working on a project to create a tank simulator (fictional story).
                                I'm in charge of the assets and implementing it into an existing framework.

                                That framework is being worked on by a programmer (in this case that is MMT).

                                So you start with what you have.. programmer works on adding new functionality and fixing things.
                                I do a first drivable implementation of the assets in the blueprint.

                                That frame work keeps improving.. just like the assets keep changing.

                                more or less a basic gamedeveloper scenario.

                                But I do get your point in sticking with what you have and picking when to update parts or not. Usually when I'm working on a project that started in a certain version.. I stay with it until it's done.
                                I really never upgrade when a newer version comes out unless there is something in there I really need.
                                I could add something like versions in addition to branches related to UE4 updates.
                                I don't think you have to redo your tank for each new version. With BP content you can use migrate function to merge versions or even use BP merge tool ( haven't tried it myself yet).
                                With compnent based approach you would only need to merge components that are used in your projects. In some cases that won't be enough, but that would be a minimum.
                                For example you could duplicate T-26 for your base setup, keep copy of T-26 as a backup and change models and logic in a duplicate. Later when you want to update, just migrate new version of T-26 into your project. This will bring over all dependencies and components, updating components which are used in your custom BP ( copy of T-26). On top of that you could see all changes done in T-26 Pawn blueprint itself, as sometime it's not only content of component changes but interfaces/function calls. Those you would need to update manually. The only problem with this approach as far as I see is default values of variables in BP components - if default value is changed in the source of component, it switches custom value to default in each instance of component. Which is a nasty thing, for example you set moment of inertia for the engine to 2000, if I change default value to 200 and merge, you might not spot such change and vehicle will behave differently.
                                Youtube Channel

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X