Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [FREE] Advanced Cinematic Grass Blueprint with 3D Imposter Sprite foliage

What's Up Guys,
    It's one of my first posts and I wanna say thank you, I've got a lot of great free content and helpful posts off everyone here so I thought it's time to give back to the community a little bit.

Here's one of the projects I've been working on here and there ever since I started messing with Unreal Engine 4 a little over a year ago. It's a blueprint for grass using material parameter collections and material functions which can be easily applied to any other foliage or mesh and has 66 settings in all, including procedural clustering, tip of grass SSS amount, wind direction/speed/gusting, color variation and on and on. I'll be updating the project fixing any problems anybody might run into, also adding descriptions to each parameter in the BP after some time.

It comes with foliage that uses 3D Imposter sprites for the LOD 1 (this helps a LOT with frame rate when using a whole bunch of trees or any high poly mesh) and some simple modular house stuff that I made to go with it. As well as the grass blueprint itself, other spline meshes, home made textures, Parallax Occluded clouds and a alpine style terrain.

I have to give props to a couple of companies in this for using some of their stuff - for some of the terrain and world textures: the kite demo (Epic), for the houses and road, textures.com.

Here's a video cinematically showcasing the blueprint, part 1 of a tutorial series below that too. Below ALL OF THAT is a link with a game ready version of everything, Enjoy

Download Link: if one link is down, select the other
    Mirror 1: http://www.mediafire.com/file/b78nje...eprintV1.3.rar
    Mirror 2: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8glx6jqlbk...tV1.3.rar?dl=0

*As a note, this requires version 4.14 or above to open the project.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by AaronWith2As; 01-30-2017, 05:47 AM. Reason: Updating

• replied
    I love playing with this Aaron, really amazing. I'm having a tiny problem though, small patches of it seem to flicker when I mouse over the content browser, or if I go to render a cinematic. It almost looks like clipping, but it happens at multiple depths of the grass, not just close by?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    will be great to get this in the learn tab, it's been quite a while

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Just downloaded and tested this grass blueprint. It is amazing!!!
    Thanks so much, Aaron, for sharing this!!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Uhmmm... When I drag the grass meshes into the foliage tool, they turn into groups of gray planes...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    looks like its missing thoses files did you check to see if there at there location? which engine version u using?

Originally posted by Dylanrockin View Post
    Heya! I am currently having a problem with this at the moment. I am rather new to using UE4, and I currently have an issue where the meshes turn into jaggy polygonal materials rather than grass:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]138630[/ATTACH]

I've been trying to fool around with this and see what I can do, but the error log gives me this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]138631[/ATTACH]

It acts like they aren't there, which... they are. I didn't move them anywhere, and I didn't mess with anything to cause this to happen, unless I missed a step somewhere in installing these. But, any help with this would be greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by Bioware; 08-11-2017, 10:36 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I Extract the rar file i get 3 Checksum error The file is corrupt and the Dropbox

Leave a comment:

• replied
    is this compatible with UE4.16?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    How i can import this in my project?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Heya! I am currently having a problem with this at the moment. I am rather new to using UE4, and I currently have an issue where the meshes turn into jaggy polygonal materials rather than grass:

Click image for larger version

Name:	7acbe82aad986863b07da255759b13e2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	825.1 KB
ID:	1126930

I've been trying to fool around with this and see what I can do, but the error log gives me this:

Name:	0524f18627cbc2cbed89d52ce91f34b6.png
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	1126931

It acts like they aren't there, which... they are. I didn't move them anywhere, and I didn't mess with anything to cause this to happen, unless I missed a step somewhere in installing these. But, any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Dear Aaron,

first i want to say great work and thank you very much for sharing this with the community.

However one thing missing for this great looking asset is the ability to react to a player passing through it.
    I searched the web for information on how this could be achieved and finally stumbled upon a solution way back from 2014.

As with many things, like volumetric lighting for example, I don't get why epic hasn't built in these things by now. (Luckily there is nvidia volumetric branch, which I am using right now, still I hope they would just bring it over to the main engine as I don't know how to merge branches and fear I will be stuck with 4.15 forever if I want that volumetric light )

Anyway, back to topic: I managed to add the grass bending to your super grass and I now want to share this with you and anyone here using your grass =)

For this to work we will need to make a few additions to the parameter collection of each supergrass that should support this.
    For example i will modify "supergrass5" to enable bending (you can repeat these steps with all 5 supergrasses to enable it on all of them).

Open up the material parameter collection for supergrass5: AWSpecial_MPC5N
    Add 4 scalar parameters:

Name: EnablePlayerBending
    Default: 0

Name: PlayerSize
    Default: 60

Name: BendStrengthXY
    Default: 256

Name: BendStrengthZ
    Default: -256

Additionally add one Vector Parameter:

Name: PlayerPosition
    Default: 1,1,1,1

Next we need to edit "Advanced-Grass-Blueprint-Preset-5" (under functions and some more folders ^^)

Add the following section to the blueprint:

Name:	computation.png
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	1124686

I put it below Aaron's stuff right under the WPO Output.

Now you have to connect it to Aaron's outputs like shown here:

Name:	connection.png
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	1124687

As you can see it uses the paramaters we added to the collection.

To be frank I don't get the whole math behind it, this blueprint is, as mentioned before, not designed by me but found on the unreal forums in a 2014 post.

Anyway, a last step is needed to make it actually work:

In your level blueprint you have to

1) enable the bending by Setting "EnablePlayerBending" to 1 in the ParamCollection in the OnBeginPlay event
    2) in the onTick event you have to set the PlayerPosition in the ParamCollection
    (For supergrass5 this is "AWSpecial_MPC5N")

Note that when you have added this stuff to all 5 supergrasses, you will have to enable it and update the position on all 5 parameter collections as well.

Name:	levelbp.png
Size:	225.6 KB
ID:	1124688

I made playersize and bendstrengths parameters so you can easily change it to fit your character's size.

I hope you guys have fun with this little addition.
    Last edited by buzzdx; 03-14-2017, 09:31 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hey levallo,
    Made a little tutorial on imgur http://imgur.com/a/fiEAd pertaining to all of this, then thought...ok I already made a subtractive layer within the project itself lol. Goto your landscape layer painter for your terrain, and just paint on the layer "Grass Texture" it's already setup to subtract the grass meshes from the terrain....TADA!!! Wish I would've realized that before I made all those images lol...oh well, maybe someone can get something out of it.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by AaronWith2As View Post
    Hey again man, long time no talk

This is what I meant by subtracting the layer mask.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]83443[/ATTACH]

Onto the second problem you're having, let me describe it a bit first...in unreal 4 when you use a alpha type blending with layers, the engine's trying to blend whatever layer you're puting down with whatever layer(s) are already there. Since there isn't a layer already there by default, but rather just a material, whenever you goto paint that tile, the back of it becomes pitch black, while just leaving what you painted.

To fix this, first create a base default layer then paint the entire landscape with that base layer (it just contains everything that your unlayered material would contain, this is already done for you in the grass blueprint project and is called "Base Texture"). You can then paint new layers onto the tiles and they'll blend properly. BTW if you use the layer "Grass Texture" in the project it gets rid of the procedural grass where it's placed and is an example of how to handle that too with layers.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]83447[/ATTACH]

Uhhh, that's why it says, "As a note, this requires version 4.10 or above to open the project. " at the bottom of the OP bro. Ya have to read the fine print lol. Just update your UE4 and it should all work good
    Hi, this is what I was talking about in the message. I am unsure how to "subtract the layer mask" is this added as a landscape layer? Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hey guys,
    Didn't realize there were this many comments on here, thought it would notify me through email or something. Regardless sorry for the lack of support here lately...now it's time to get back to work. Went ahead and updated the project to 4.14 as well as fixing the problem when migrating it to a new project, and the problem it had upon play where the grass would show up all crazy. Fixed the issue with 4.14 where the trees would be all HUGE and look weird. Added Parallax Occluded clouds with the scene too, but still a work in progress, as they follow the camera around a bit at the moment, just a lil bit more tweaking

Anyways, check it out V1.3. Thanks for the huge support guys, I appreciate it!

Download Link: if one link is down, select the other
    Mirror 1: http://www.mediafire.com/file/b78nje...eprintV1.3.rar
    Mirror 2: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8glx6jqlbk...tV1.3.rar?dl=0
    Last edited by AaronWith2As; 01-29-2017, 11:12 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Is there a way to prevent procedural grass in controlled spaces? I have the grass installed but would like to put a road through it. Thanks!

EDIT: Apologies. I just re-read this thread and found the answer.
    Last edited by levallo; 01-25-2017, 04:45 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X