No announcement yet.

WIP - Dynamic Left 4 Dead 2-Style Wounds/Dismemberment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a project that's *almost* ready, I'll see if I can get it updated and release it.
    Storyteller - An immersive VR audiobook player

Dungeon Survival - WIP First person dungeon crawler with a focus on survival and environmental gameplay ala roguelikes

Comment

That would be incredible even if it's only the damage part, I've solved the dismemberment by pre-defining a set of dismemberment locations and then having canned meshes spawn on hit. Not the optimal way but it works... but with the visible damage I'm totally lost.

Thanks!
      Last edited by jawatr; 04-11-2017, 01:06 AM.

Comment

Wow! That's impresive work [MENTION=11208]n00854180t[/MENTION]! Do you have some "press" that you've based your work on? Waiting for the release

Comment

[MENTION=719542]jjwisniewka[/MENTION] - It's based on Alex Vlacho's (of Valve) paper.

Dungeon Survival - WIP First person dungeon crawler with a focus on survival and environmental gameplay ala roguelikes

Comment

I have a question - I did a simple break constraint test - but I have an issue with manequin head (part of mesh is still connected and it creates wierd bug) - have you experienced it ?

Comment

That's what this system is aiming to fix, but ultimately I still need some help with the material code, because right now it can't be moved in the projection axis - I'm not great at materials coding, so I haven't been able to fix this yet.

Perhaps if [MENTION=540]Chosker[/MENTION] or one of the other artists that have posted in this thread are still interested we could get together and fix up the last bit of the material that needs done (projection axis movement + doing the blood mask properly).

Comment

bump. what happen to the project?
                Discord: OP #5992

Comment

Ultimately the system needs more artist support than I can provide, and will require cut-meshes for each character. I still have some mostly working code to do this, especially given that it's now easy to get the extra data I used to have to hack into the system.

I'll try to update and get it uploaded soon here.

Comment

Originally posted by n00854180t View Post
                    Ultimately the system needs more artist support than I can provide, and will require cut-meshes for each character. I still have some mostly working code to do this, especially given that it's now easy to get the extra data I used to have to hack into the system.

I'll try to update and get it uploaded soon here.
                    Please do even if it's not fully working!
                    TressFX For Unreal | Morph Tools Plugin

Comment

We have something working, now just comes customizing the shape for cutting wounds.

Comment

EvilEngine - Would love to see your material!

Comment

Originally posted by n00854180t View Post
                          Perhaps if [MENTION=540]Chosker[/MENTION] or one of the other artists that have posted in this thread are still interested we could get together and fix up the last bit of the material that needs done (projection axis movement + doing the blood mask properly).
                          so, when?
                          Follow me on Twitter!
                          Developer of Elium - Prison Escape
                          Local Image-Based Lighting for UE4

Comment

I got some work done on this, finally got the ellipse mask and the projection texture combining. I've come to the conclusion also that doing skinned pre-made mesh wounds isn't going to work at least for my character setup (due to morphs) so I'm working on a method to make universal wound meshes.

Currently distracted playing ATLAS but I should be getting back to the wound setup soon here.

Comment

Looks like any attempts of copying Valve's features have a side effect of forcing you into Valve time while implementing them!

Jokes aside, it's been a while since I checked this thread. In fact, initially when I did, I was barely starting to get accustomed with the engine. Two and a half years later, I'm feeling pretty confident with the C++ side of things, but unfortunately, materials aren't exactly my thing and not something I've managed to master to a satisfying extent.

With this said: not to sound too insistent, but I think if you release whatever work you've managed to accomplish so far, it is more than likely that someone will pick it up and finish. Otherwise, it will basically never get done. I understand the desire to make it perfect, but the speed of progress nullifies all noble intents. It's been in a state of "almost done" for years now.

So, unless your intent is to sell the feature on the marketplace (which is understandable and completely fine; if anything, I'd be among the first buyers), then I really do suggest letting the community finish it. It's an amazing thing and would benefit everyone.

Comment

The reason I haven't posted anything in a while is that the remaining parts of the system are pretty much required to be specific to a given character. So I've been working on a different method of dealing with capping the body parts, but haven't finished it because I'm focused on other parts of my project. That said I am doing combat right now so I have a need for this again and will try to get something done with it soon.

Comment

Working...
                                X