Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gamepad-Friendly UMG ~ Control Cursor with Gamepad Analog Stick! Easily Click Buttons!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by haimat View Post
    Really strange ... these messages only appear since we have integrated this plugin to the project
    I am not doubting your experience, I am simply trying to understand what it could possibly mean

Packaging Just Fine
    I can package just fine for shipping builds in my test project.

The key line is this:

Code:
    /Game/ThirdPersonCPP/ThirdPersonOverview.ThirdPersonOverview_C' was not found!
    ~~~

Issue Identified

Ahh I think I see what is going on here, in my sample project that I distribute with this plugin, I have a test map called:

ThirdPersonOverview

When you extracted the plugin to your project, somehow there's something that is looking for that map, there's a stray reference somewhere somehow, that is still looking for that map.

Perhaps you pulled in other asset content from my sample project, but not the map itself?

There wouldn't be a reference in the code, it must be some content you ported over

You can test my theory by pulling into your project the map from my sample project as follows:

Code:
    Content/ThirdPersonCPP/ThirdPersonOverview

If you do that you should be able to package.

Directory structure has to be exact as it is a string asset reference

~~~

The Solution

After you package once successfully with my test map in your project in the exact correct location, try deleting the map from your project, and then right-click on your project root and say Fix Up All Redirectors in Folder

Then try packaging again, and hopefully all will work from that point onward.

Rama
    Last edited by Rama; 09-27-2016, 04:13 AM.
    100+ UE4 C++ Tutorials on the UE4 Code Wiki, including UE4 Multi-Threading!

UE4 Marketplace: Melee Weapon Plugin & Compressed Binary Save System Plugin | Rama's C++ AI Jumping Videos | Vertex Snap Editor Plugin

Visit www.ue4code.com to see lots of videos about my C++ Creations! ♥ Rama

Comment

Hey Rama, thanks for your proposed solution.
      I will have a look at it later this week when I am back home again and let you know then.

Cheers!
      Modular Menu System @ UE4 Marketplace: "Build your UMG Menus in Minutes!"
      Marketplace Page | General Discussion | Support Thread | Preview Video

Comment

Originally posted by Rama View Post
        The Solution

After you package once successfully with my test map in your project in the exact correct location, try deleting the map from your project, and then right-click on your project root and say Fix Up All Redirectors in Folder

Then try packaging again, and hopefully all will work from that point onward.
        Hi Rama, I tried what you suggested and copied the ThirdPersonCPP folder into my content direcotry.
        After restarting the editor that error message I have reported was gone, so that looked good.

However, after packaging and performing those steps you have listed above and restarting the editor again, the error message shows up again (even without packaging).

Do you have any other ideas?
        Modular Menu System @ UE4 Marketplace: "Build your UMG Menus in Minutes!"
        Marketplace Page | General Discussion | Support Thread | Preview Video

Comment

Hey Rama, is there anyway you could add multiple player controller support? Or is that not possible? I was thinking for local multiplayer games where they all have cursors on the main menu for example.

Comment

i am also interested.

Comment

Same here. Also, still having the issue of having to click the screen once before the cursor shows up.

Comment

Originally posted by haimat View Post
                Hi Rama, I tried what you suggested and copied the ThirdPersonCPP folder into my content direcotry.
                After restarting the editor that error message I have reported was gone, so that looked good.

However, after packaging and performing those steps you have listed above and restarting the editor again, the error message shows up again (even without packaging).

Do you have any other ideas?
                Not at the moment, the linker is looking for content, if you put the content in the right directory structure the hope is that the linker would become happy, I wish that were so as I dont know what to do to make the linker become happy

My first new instinct is that if you take just the plugin (not the whole project that is part of the download) you could then reconstruct the asset side of things.

Rama

~~~

Having to Click Screen To Make Cursor Appear

Originally posted by Kenomica View Post
                Same here. Also, still having the issue of having to click the screen once before the cursor shows up.
                1. On game start / BeginPlay of player Controller BP

2. Try using "set mouse cursor visible", a bool that is part of the player controller BP

3. I can't repro this behavior on my end at moment so I am not sure what else you should try just yet

Rama
                Last edited by Rama; 11-09-2016, 05:44 PM.

UE4 Marketplace: Melee Weapon Plugin & Compressed Binary Save System Plugin | Rama's C++ AI Jumping Videos | Vertex Snap Editor Plugin

Comment

1. On game start / BeginPlay of player Controller BP

2. Try using "set mouse cursor visible", a bool that is part of the player controller BP

3. I can't repro this behavior on my end at moment so I am not sure what else you should try just yet

Rama
                  Hey, Rama! Thanks for the reply.

I already have this set correctly

Just to test, though, I tried to move things around so that the mouse cursor is set to shown before the virtual cursor is active, and tried after to no avail. I have the mouse cursor set to show, the input mode set to UI (cursor locked, widget set as focus) etc.

I can definitely say that without the plugin, the cursor is shown without the initial click (or simply removing the "Enable Virtual Cursor" Node)

Here's something odd though, in "Selected Viewport (PIE)" - the cursor is shown correctly at start without the initial click - but this is not the case in a "New Editor Window (PIE)", "Standalone Game" or the packaged project.

Thanks for your time and work
                  Last edited by Kenomica; 11-09-2016, 06:32 PM.

Comment

Hey, Rama! Thanks for the reply.

Thanks for your time and work
                    You are welcome!

I tried running the gamepad umg project that I give in this thread via Launch Game

What happens is that the game starts, and cursor is locked and invisible so you can move the view of character around, then the code activates to make the cursor visible and the cursor instantly appears and I can control it.

To be clear I dont have to click or supply any input, the switch to cursor mode is simply a delay I set in BP and is part of the project download.

Also when I've packaged the game this was also the case. If you use my unmodified download as a test case (4.13 I just tested), and you say Launch game with editor closed, (right click) do you get the same behavior?

Rama

Comment

You are welcome!

I tried running the gamepad umg project that I give in this thread via Launch Game

What happens is that the game starts, and cursor is locked and invisible so you can move the view of character around, then the code activates to make the cursor visible and the cursor instantly appears and I can control it.

To be clear I dont have to click or supply any input, the switch to cursor mode is simply a delay I set in BP and is part of the project download.

Also when I've packaged the game this was also the case. If you use my unmodified download as a test case (4.13 I just tested), and you say Launch game with editor closed, (right click) do you get the same behavior?

Rama
                      When launching your project (without editor) in 4.13.2 - the cursor is actually visible at the start but with no menu, then and I have to click before it disappears and can control the character...then a short delay, and the menu pops up with the cursor.

After testing some more (on my project), the initial issue of the cursor disappearing when clicking outside of UI elements is back, in Game and UI Mode with "Hide During Capture" disabled and in UI Only Mode...as well as the needing an extra click on startup!

Without the virtual cursor enabled, everything works as expected, cursor is visible from start, cursor doesn't disappear outside UMG elements etc.

EDIT :

Okay, it seems that you need to have it set in a VERY specific order to work as expected.

using UI mode or doing it in a different order seems to cause these issues.

Click image for larger version

Name:	seelJ.png
Views:	1
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	1118178

Then do the opposite to disable,

Click image for larger version

Name:	3cfa0b886c.png
Views:	1
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	1118180
                      Last edited by Kenomica; 11-10-2016, 11:22 PM.

Comment

Hello.

I'm not able to package the project at all after updating to 4.13.2

It works fine within the editor but packaging just isn't working, neither on development or shipping...

UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (32-bit)): Automation.Process: Setting up command environment.
                        UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (32-bit)): BuildCookRun.SetupParams: Setting up ProjectParams for C:\Users\Joure\Documents\Unreal Projects\STARDROP 4.13\STARDROP.uproject
                        UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (32-bit)): Project.Build: ********** BUILD COMMAND STARTED **********
                        UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (32-bit)): CommandUtils.Run: Run: C:\Program Files (x86)\Epic Games\4.13\Engine\Binaries\DotNET\UnrealBuildTool.exe GamepadUMG Win32 Shipping -Project="C:\Users\Joure\Documents\Unreal Projects\STARDROP 4.13\STARDROP.uproject" -clean "C:\Users\Joure\Documents\Unreal P
                        UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (32-bit)): rojects\STARDROP 4.13\STARDROP.uproject" -remoteini="C:\Users\Joure\Documents\Unreal Projects\STARDROP 4.13" -nobuilduht -NoHotReload
                        UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (32-bit)): UnrealBuildTool: Performing full C++ include scan (building a new target)
                        UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (32-bit)): UnrealBuildTool: ERROR: Unable to determine module type for C:\Users\Joure\Documents\Unreal Projects\STARDROP 4.13\Source\GamepadUMG\GamepadUMG.Build.cs
                        UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (32-bit)): CommandUtils.Run: Run: Took 0.892051s to run UnrealBuildTool.exe, ExitCode=5
                        UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (32-bit)): Program.Main: ERROR: AutomationTool terminated with exception: AutomationTool.CommandUtils+CommandFailedException: Command failed (Result:5): C:\Program Files (x86)\Epic Games\4.13\Engine\Binaries\DotNET\UnrealBuildTool.exe GamepadUMG Win32 Shipping -Proje
                        UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (32-bit)): ct="C:\Users\Joure\Documents\Unreal Projects\STARDROP 4.13\STARDROP.uproject" -clean "C:\Users\Joure\Documents\Unreal Projects\STARDROP 4.13\STARDROP.uproject" -remoteini="C:\Users\Joure\Documents\Unreal Projects\STARDROP 4.13" -nobuilduht -NoHotReload. See logfile for details: 'UnrealBuildTool-2016.11.24-18.52.26.tx
                        t'
                        UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (32-bit)): at AutomationTool.CommandUtils.RunAndLog(String App, String CommandLine, String Logfile, Int32 MaxSuccessCode, String Input, ERunOptions Options, Dictionary`2 EnvVars, SpewFilterCallbackType SpewFilterCallback)
                        UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (32-bit)): at AutomationTool.CommandUtils.RunAndLog(CommandEnvironment Env, String App, String CommandLine, String LogName, Int32 MaxSuccessCode, String Input, ERunOptions Options, Dictionary`2 EnvVars, SpewFilterCallbackType SpewFilterCallback)
                        UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (32-bit)): at AutomationTool.CommandUtils.RunUBT(CommandEnvironment Env, String UBTExecutable, String CommandLine, String LogName, Dictionary`2 EnvVars)
                        UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (32-bit)): at AutomationTool.CommandUtils.RunUBT(CommandEnvironment Env, String UBTExecutable, FileReference Project, String Target, String Platform, String Config, String AdditionalArgs, String LogName, Dictionary`2 EnvVars)
                        UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (32-bit)): at AutomationTool.UE4Build.CleanWithUBT(String TargetName, UnrealTargetPlatform Platform, String Config, FileReference UprojectPath, Boolean ForceMonolithic, Boolean ForceNonUnity, Boolean ForceDebugInfo, String InAddArgs, Boolean ForceUnity, Dictionary`2 EnvVars)
                        UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (32-bit)): at AutomationTool.UE4Build.Build(BuildAgenda Agenda, Nullable`1 InDeleteBuildProducts, Boolean InUpdateVersionFiles, Boolean InForceNoXGE, Boolean InUseParallelExecutor, Boolean InForceNonUnity, Boolean InForceUnity, Boolean InShowProgress, Dictionary`2 PlatformEnvVars, Nullable`1 InChangelistNumberOverride, Dictio
                        nary`2 InTargetToManifest)
                        UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (32-bit)): at Project.Build(BuildCommand Command, ProjectParams Params, Int32 WorkingCL, ProjectBuildTargets TargetMask)
                        UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (32-bit)): at BuildCookRun.DoBuildCookRun(ProjectParams Params)
                        UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (32-bit)): at AutomationTool.BuildCommand.Execute()
                        UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (32-bit)): at AutomationTool.Automation.Execute(List`1 CommandsToExecute, CaselessDictionary`1 Commands)
                        UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (32-bit)): at AutomationTool.Automation.Process(String[] Arguments)
                        UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (32-bit)): at AutomationTool.Program.MainProc(Object Param)
                        UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (32-bit)): at AutomationTool.InternalUtils.RunSingleInstance(Func`2 Main, Object Param)
                        UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (32-bit)): at AutomationTool.Program.Main()
                        UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (32-bit)): Program.Main: AutomationTool exiting with ExitCode=5 (5)
                        UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (32-bit)): BUILD FAILED

Comment

Have you tried the usual suspects for cleaning your build, like deleting the intermediate and saved directories?

I haven't had any issues building my own project on the same version so maybe there is a bad cooked file in there somewhere. Just a thought. Best of luck!

Comment

Is possible to Update to 4.14 ? Thanks !

Comment

Originally posted by R5GAMER View Post
                              Is possible to Update to 4.14 ? Thanks !
                              Same question here Rama - holding off on 4.14 for this plugin, since it's so good

Comment

Same question here Rama - holding off on 4.14 for this plugin, since it's so good
                                RAME PLEASE !!!!! I need this plugin !

Comment

Working...
                                X