[Release] Hover Board Demo Project

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Release] Hover Board Demo Project

So this post inspired me to make this simple little hover board sample project.

It uses a similar method as my buoyancy code.

You can make hovering platforms and objects with configurable desired height.
    For stabilization you can play around with the Trace Smooth Zone variable, increase the linear/angular damping and/or increase the mass of the object.

You can even make the objects hover each other if you want to.

Screens:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	HoverDemo.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	1150560

Name:	HoverDemo3.jpg
Size:	311.5 KB
ID:	1150562

Name:	HoverDemo2.jpg
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	1150561

Download Project for 4.7 (~23Mb from Google Drive)

4.10 Update! -> [Community Project] WIP Weather & Ocean Water Shader
    WIP Interactive Water Shader, WIP 2D Water Sim
    WIP FFT Ocean w/ Foam, Quad-tree Infinite Ocean LOD

If you replace the height control algorithm with this code you get a little more control over the floating behaviour:

Name:	P3-hooveralgoritm.png
Size:	307.9 KB
ID:	1078850

Where the Gain parameter controls the speed of the height control and the Damping controls the softness/damping of the control, a value of 1 means well damped and a value of 0 totally undamped and the mas will oscillate freely.

Comment

That's amazing guys! Just what I was looking for! This whole blueprint project relieved my whole-day balancing misery! Cheers!

Comment

very funny. look like aliens tripods

Very interesting for a game that uses platforms. It reminded me Frostbite

Luny
        lunybunny.com
        lunybunny.com

Comment

Thank you
          My small game on IndieDB ****** Beams on Twitter ****** Beams on Steam ****** VideoStuff ****** PictureStuff
          UE brings Math back into my life or i am not sure.

Comment

This actually also works when you drop physics-enabled objects on it!
            Really nice! I was just hopping around on one of the platforms with one of our all-physics based robots It gave perfect and really realistic interaction with zero performance impact.

Comment

This is great - I was going to end up making something similar when I implement the "comfort (magic) carpet" for my VR dungeon crawler (you'll either be able to surf it or sit on it more traditionally, depending on preference). I personally don't mind first person locomotion in VR at all, but dealing with it seems important, mostly for exposure reasons.
              Storyteller - An immersive VR audiobook player

Dungeon Survival - WIP First person dungeon crawler with a focus on survival and environmental gameplay ala roguelikes

Comment

The only interesting thing that this is kind of magnetic floating if you make it cast rays by the opposite of the UP vector, when the board goes sideways it stays sideways at the set hover distance.

Comment

Sir I love hover boards.... I will use this... and it will be awesome!

Now I can make this in UE4 and it's all you fault:

12 CatBlack Studios - One man with a dream, to create amazing things...
                  RPG Engine Toolkit: https://www.unrealengine.com/marketp...engine-toolkit
                  Auto Terrain Cover V3: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...ver-V3-Release
                  Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuT...VDuzeIeJ6_j1pA
                  Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/12-Ca...52913014823124

Comment

How to attach it on an object ? And how can you "stuck" a character on it ?

Comment

Thanks guys, that is really helpful.
                      Kartom, did you use physic formulas to calculate the height? Or is it just euristics?

Comment

Working...
                      X