Advanced Sessions Plugin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Parvan View Post
    Did the plugin compile? Did you enable the plugin in the editor?
    https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest...mming/Plugins/
    I didn't get a notify on this reply before now, sorry. The problem was I had put the plugins folder inside the content folder instead of root game folder.

Comment

Hi mordentral. Thanks for all the support you give & this great plugin.

I'm having an issue where my dedicate server seemingly isn't ever getting a playercontroller. That print works fine in standalone. I've added steam dedicated server implementation in the past, this is a first where I'm having issues with the playercontroller like this. Any ideas?

Click image for larger version

Name:	_13.png
Views:	1
Size:	8.6 KB
ID:	1126809

Server Log attached

I've tried printing that same message in the player controller itself, but the server won't ever run the code.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by vanlacke; 04-23-2017, 09:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by vanlacke View Post
        Hi mordentral. Thanks for all the support you give & this great plugin.

I'm having an issue where my dedicate server seemingly isn't ever getting a playercontroller. That print works fine in standalone. I've added steam dedicated server implementation in the past, this is a first where I'm having issues with the playercontroller like this. Any ideas?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]138246[/ATTACH]

Server Log attached

I've tried printing that same message in the player controller itself, but the server won't ever run the code.
        What player controller are you trying to get? The server won't have one being dedicated.

Consider supporting me on patreon

My Open source tools and plugins
        Advanced Sessions Plugin
        VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Originally posted by mordentral View Post
          What player controller are you trying to get? The server won't have one being dedicated.
          EDIT: So the issue was faulty port forwarding. That's why my server wasn't appearing in the steam list. It's now appearing though.

But my joining code doesn't work so I'll have to figure that out.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by vanlacke; 04-23-2017, 10:58 PM.

Comment

Thats not "enabling it", you have to merge his pull request into a source copy of the engine, build it, and then use his extra variable when hosting the server then. His pull request changes a lot of things on the back end of the steam subsystem to get authentication working. Most of what he changed is not plugin accessible as well, so it would involve re-creating large sections of the Steam Subsystem or even entirely remaking it to get it working with a plugin.

Would rather get it feature added into the engine itself as that is where it should be to begin with.

*Edit* If you follow his tutorial and merge his pull request and add that boolean to your game mode this plugin would work normally with it except it would have steam authentication as well, can skip the c++ session creation.
            Ah thanks for the info was going to ask what the dedicated server Boolean on the Create Advanced Session is meant for seeing if your creating a session from blueprint it will be a listen server or does this create a server along side the client?

Comment

Originally posted by OverRated_AU View Post
              Ah thanks for the info was going to ask what the dedicated server Boolean on the Create Advanced Session is meant for seeing if your creating a session from blueprint it will be a listen server or does this create a server along side the client?
              Dedicated on the blueprints just flags the session as dedicated on creation, each subsystem can handle this differently. Steam if that flag is set uses an entirely different method of server hosting on the back end (their hosting system is split between lobbies and real dedicated servers).

Its exposed because the default nodes don't even have the option, you don't have to make a c++ session with dedicated servers, you can still use the Sessions Plugin if you wish.

The authentication is optional, but optionally important, if there is no steam authentication then it can't validate players connecting to dedicated servers as being actual owners of the game. Someone could download your game client with steam disabled, load up and connect to the dedicated server without actually owning it and the server wouldn't know it.

When authentication is setup the server will check with Steam whether the connecting player has a valid copy of the game before letting them in to the server.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
              VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Dedicated on the blueprints just flags the session as dedicated on creation, each subsystem can handle this differently. Steam if that flag is set uses an entirely different method of server hosting on the back end (their hosting system is split between lobbies and real dedicated servers).

Its exposed because the default nodes don't even have the option, you don't have to make a c++ session with dedicated servers, you can still use the Sessions Plugin if you wish.

The authentication is optional, but optionally important, if there is no steam authentication then it can't validate players connecting to dedicated servers as being actual owners of the game. Someone could download your game client with steam disabled, load up and connect to the dedicated server without actually owning it and the server wouldn't know it.

When authentication is setup the server will check with Steam whether the connecting player has a valid copy of the game before letting them in to the server.

So if i wanted to use authentication i need to use that pull request? another thing i wanted to ask is, if i wanted to add password locks on servers is it safe to just pass that info through the server settings and compare it on the other side for the client? cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by OverRated_AU View Post
                  So if i wanted to use authentication i need to use that pull request? another thing i wanted to ask is, if i wanted to add password locks on servers is it safe to just pass that info through the server settings and compare it on the other side for the client? cheers.
                  No, it would not be safe, you are giving the password to them then.

You would want a one way encryption if you did it like that, and even then they could filter out that password denial and continue connecting.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                  VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

No, it would not be safe, you are giving the password to them then.

You would want a one way encryption if you did it like that, and even then they could filter out that password denial and continue connecting.
                    Does steam authentication also make it so that GetCurrentPlayers() returns the correct value?

Comment

Originally posted by poke1103 View Post
                      Does steam authentication also make it so that GetCurrentPlayers() returns the correct value?
                      No

His pull may fix that, but it has nothing to do with that.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                      VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Pushed a new commit supporting 4.16 in the plugin and uploaded the 4.16 preview binaries.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                        VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Pushed a new commit supporting 4.16 in the plugin and uploaded the 4.16 preview binaries.
                          Awesome Work . Can help find any new issues
                          Twitter - @TheKRushin

Feel free to ask questions and come learn to be an #UnrealDev

How to report a Bug

Comment

Hi mordentral I am currently building a online game in C++ with me and my team and i have been looking around yet have not found the answer and was hopping you could help.

When creating a server how would one set up their files so that you can input and receive the server name for a server browser? as of right now all i get is the name of the my PC for the sever and not the name i set when creating the session.

Comment

Originally posted by Greganator View Post
                              Hi mordentral I am currently building a online game in C++ with me and my team and i have been looking around yet have not found the answer and was hopping you could help.

When creating a server how would one set up their files so that you can input and receive the server name for a server browser? as of right now all i get is the name of the my PC for the sever and not the name i set when creating the session.
                              Got it working

Comment

Quick question: how can I set up "networked voice" be spatial like any other sound? So that if a person talks from the other side of the room I would hear him less than the one standing next to me.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                X