Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UE4Duino - Arduino to UE4 plugin Release!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My dad is a headmaster in a High School. He has Lego Mindstorms and Arduino for class in Robotics. I showed him this and now he wants to add Unreal Engine as a part of it XD

Great work.

Comment

Originally posted by darthviper107 View Post
      Make sure it's in a Plugins folder in your project folder and that your project type is C++
      I tried to convert the project into C ++, nothing to do
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Issue.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	251.0 KB
ID:	1083206

Comment

Lastest version seems to not be working with UE4 4.8.3
        I set it to poen the port on Event BeginPlay as I did in 4.8.2 but it just doesn't work
        Nothing of significant is shown in the output log or in the blueprint editor
        How much before we have a update, expecially with 4.9 coming soon?

Comment

Mine works fine in 4.8.3 although if i switch USB ports it does not work. I always have to have the arduino in the exact same USB port as when I first used it.

Also I am not able to build...I get a UE4Duino could not be found when I open the exe. Anyone able to do a successful build?

Comment

Hi, I just wanted to say how excited I was to get things up and running so quickly. It's not perfect yet, but things are functioning. I have had success with the latest build of the plugin and Unreal 4.8.3, I've noticed a few other in this thread having issues.
            Anyhow, everything was fairly easy to get running, but I'm experiencing about a 2 second lag between a light I turn on in engine and the LED connected to Digital Pin 1 on my Audrino. I'm pretty new to all this, so it's more than possible I'm going about this the wrong way. As there are a few videos in this thread with good response time.

Here is the Blueprint I'm using. The setup, for testing is simple. A volume to act as the trigger, a light in game that is turned on/off and writing a serial event to the Aurdino that turns a physical LED on and off.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	tBKmsnr.png
Views:	1
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	1084319

Here is the simple sketch I have for my Audrino board,

String input;

void setup()
            {
            pinMode(1,OUTPUT);
            digitalWrite(1,LOW);
            Serial.begin (9600);
            }

void loop()
            {
            input = Serial.readString();
            if (input == "ON")
            {
            digitalWrite(1, HIGH); // turn the LED on (HIGH is the voltage level)
            }
            else if (input == "OFF")
            {
            digitalWrite(1, LOW); // turn the LED off by making the voltage LOW
            }

}

Comment

Hey,

A couple questions:
              1)
              I'm working on developing a controller from a physical ATV to control a virtual ATV in my game. I have established a serial connection and can view the serial port as open, but after the first burst of data the serial port no longer communicates and I can no longer send data to UE4. I need this in order to control steering, throttle, and braking in the game.

2)
              When I do a serial write what should be the corresponding line in my arduino code be to capture the data being sent? I haven't really experimented with this yet, but I need to send quaternion values back to my arduino to be repackaged as udp packets.

Thanks,

Jake
              Last edited by John Michael; 08-25-2015, 02:11 PM.

Comment

Just wanted to follow up to my own post, I had success last night altering my arduino sketch a little bit. Turns out the lag I was experiencing was due to tringing my LED with a string over Serial. When I had the board listen for a single byte everything worked much better. I thought I'd share the sketch in case anyone else with little experience stumbles across this thread.

I think it's also worth sharing that I used a Littlebits Ardurino Heart module so everything was really really simple to get going with no prior knowledge.

//

// Simple script to test a single port on a Littlebits Arduino Heart with and LED conected
                // to a trigger volume in Unreal 4.

//

const int ledPin = 1; // the pin that the LED is attached to
                int incomingByte; // a variable to read incoming serial data into

void setup() {
                // initialize serial communication:
                Serial.begin(9600);
                // initialize the LED pin as an output:
                pinMode(ledPin, OUTPUT);
                }

void loop() {
                // check for incoming serial data:
                if (Serial.available() > 0) {
                // read previous byte in the serial buffer:
                incomingByte = Serial.read();
                // turn on the LED:
                if (incomingByte == 'Y') {
                digitalWrite(ledPin, HIGH);
                }
                // turn off the LED:
                if (incomingByte == 'N') {
                digitalWrite(ledPin, LOW);
                }
                }
                }

Comment

Hi grizly32, thank you for this awesome plugin!
                  I'm trying to map speed values in unreal to analoWrite values. I converted strings to integers, but this method seems to be very slow and unreal crashes very often.
                  What would be a better/stable method to control values dynamically?
                  also, I've see the fusionlabs example on youtube, where the rotation of the puppet is controlled by a Poti. Could you post the example code?
                  Any help would be great!

Comment

I Just updated the plugin to support 4.9 UE. Download with the new link, now it includes the source files for the plugin.

Changes made:-

1) edited file “file_name”
                    2) Changed the "Slate.h" header file in "UE4DuinoPCH" to "SlateBasics.h"

Just use the download link below!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7h...ew?usp=sharing
                    Last edited by Providence94; 09-08-2015, 11:39 PM.

Comment

Hi Providence,

Thanks again for updating this great plugin. I tried downloading the above link, but it keeps saying that I need to request permission for google drive.

Comment

Hi Im sorry.i forgot to change the sharing options.No Worries.I Have changed it now..
                        i have updated my post.
                        here you go.

Comment

Hi,

will there be a 4.9 release as well ? if not what about 4.8.3 ( the latest 4.8 ) ?

Comment

Originally posted by Providence94 View Post
                            I Just updated the plugin to support 4.9 UE. Download with the new link, now it includes the source files for the plugin.

Changes made:-

1) edited file “file_name”
                            2) Changed the "Slate.h" header file in "UE4DuinoPCH" to "SlateBasics.h"

Just use the download link below!

Plugin for 4.9 is currently available.

Comment

I Was Wondering About This A While Ago, That's A New Cool Type Of Plugins! Thanx For Sharing.

Comment

Hi Grizly,
                                been using your awesome plugin over 6 months now. Made a steering wheel set up and now onto making a model smart home but I'm still trying to work out how to use the serial write. What does it tell arduino/ where does it go out? There is like nothing covering that atm. Srry if I'm not getting it though.
                                Thanks,
                                Elliott

Comment

Working...
                                X