Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UE4Duino - Arduino to UE4 plugin Release!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, this looks great! Is there a build of the plugin for MacOS right now? Or only Win64?

Comment

Just got a flex resistor running with it. Now to build my own VR glove! Have you posted schematics for yours from the video? I'm trying to build a glove for finger position tracking and then use the Leap Motion for hand location.
      Twitch /unrealalexander| Twitter @UnrealAlexander
      How to report a bug? | Installation & Setup issues?
      Call me to a thread by posting this: [MENTION]Alexander Paschall[/MENTION]

Comment

Just wanted to let you all know that I released an update to the plugin....please see the top post for details.

Originally posted by wimmm View Post
        Hi grizly32. This is great! Thanks so much for sharing your work! Would it be possible to add a 'serial event' node?

Best,

Wimmm
        Thanks Wimmm! Could you elaborate on what you mean by 'Serial Event'?

Originally posted by HAY2999 View Post
        Hello grizly32!

Plug-ins that you have developed is very great.
        I was able to use a plug-in very easily.
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9smnjI-1-A

Thanks!

Translated into English from Japanese
        That's awesome! Glad you like it!

Originally posted by nickadoo View Post
        Wow, this looks great! Is there a build of the plugin for MacOS right now? Or only Win64?
        Right now it's only for Win64 but I will see if I can port it over to MacOS this weekend.

Originally posted by Alexander Paschall View Post
        Just got a flex resistor running with it. Now to build my own VR glove! Have you posted schematics for yours from the video? I'm trying to build a glove for finger position tracking and then use the Leap Motion for hand location.
        Hey Alexander! I can get a schematic together and post it up. Leap Motion is a good idea! I was trying to use a Hydra Razer controller strapped to my forearm for position data...it was working ok but a bit on the wonky side lol...

Originally posted by ZoltanJr View Post
        Thanks grizly. I was using that but still don't seem to be able to get anything back with the read when I do a Serial.pintln() from an event on the arduino using :
        Serial.println(2);
        Serial.println('2');
        Serial.println("2");

I just have the read hooked up on the tick event to a print string so I was under the impression it should also show the write events coming from Unreal itself too?

Im using a Leonardo for this too if that makes any difference since I know it's got a slightly different serial setup to other boards but it should all still run over serial rather than serial1 im pretty sure,

Thanks.
        Hey ZoltanJr! Sorry you are still having troubles. I have never used a Leonardo but I would think it would work fine with this.

I made a simple example just printing out the number two...here are the sketch and blueprint:

Click image for larger version

Name:	SketchTest.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	1075749

Name:	BlueprintTest.jpg
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	1075750

Also, be sure that your Serial Monitor from your Arduino window is closed before playing your UE4 scene. Hope that helps, but if not let me know!

-Tim
        http://www.fusionlabz.com

Comment

Awesome, thank you!

Comment

Now where did that bloody thing go?! The minute something cool happens to my arduino, I can't find it!
            Favorite Quotes:
            "History is indeed little more than the register of the crimes, follies and misfortunes of mankind." -Edward Gibbon
            "Whoever does not miss the Soviet Union has no heart. Whoever wants it back has no brain." -Vladimir Putin
            "No good decision was ever made in a swivel chair." -General George S. Patton.

Comment

Hi Grizly,

I'm currently working on a project for which I use the input of five encoders via arduino to control the camera in unreal. Because I don't don't know cpp, I made a small app in Processing that reads the values from arduino and sends the data as osc messages to a port. I use monsieurgustav's unreal-osc plugin to read in the values in unreal (https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...in-OSC-for-UE4). It would of course be handier to read the values straight from the arduino into unreal.

The way I read the values in processing at the moment is via a command that only reacts when there is something to be read at the serialport. It is not continuously reading the port, but only when there is a new value in the buffer. The osc plugin for unreal works similarly. An event is triggered when there is a message in the buffer to be read. The advantage of this is that I often have multiple messages from the different encoders that arrive very quickly one after the other. With the approach of reading the port with a tick event, it happens that I miss messages coming from the arduino because the tick works on every rendered frame and more data might have passed at the moment that is left unread.

Is it clear how I described it? Or i made it more confusing

Best,

wim

Comment

When I try to launch or package my test game with this plugin, I get a black screen telling me that the UE4duino plugin is missing. It does show in my Windows>Plugins as being installed and enabled, is there something I am missing to have a plugin be packaged into a game? Thanks!

Edit:Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture1.PNG
Views:	2
Size:	6.1 KB
ID:	1075788

Name:	Capture2.PNG
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	1075789
                Last edited by nickadoo; 05-05-2015, 09:08 PM.

Comment

Still having issues, possibly a windows 10 problem though.

With the Leonardo I am able to get the writes from Unreal to work fine, but read's return nothing.
                  With a Uno or Mega I can't communicate either way, but they both work fine with the serial display in the arduino programmer.
                  Trying to fix the driver for my Duemilanove and windows just BSOD on me so that 1s a bit interesting.
                  Going to give my Due a go at the moment which requires me to update the arduino software anyway so maybe that will relieve some headaches.

Comment

Yep still the same deal. Only board that I can actually get to open the serial port connection with is the Leonardo but I can't get a read serial working with it even though just through the serial monitor I see everything working as expected.

What OS and boards are other guys using that have managed to get this to work correctly?

Comment

@nickadoo - I think you may have put the plugin folder in the wrong place. From your pic it looks like you put it in your engine folder, but it needs to go into your project folder...the plugin should show up under "Installed" at the bottom of the Plugin Window list. Let me know if that helps!

@ZoltanJr - Hmmmm...not sure what the problem is, especially since you can write from Unreal to the Arduino but not read. Could be Windows 10. I am using Windows 7 x64 and the Arduino UNO R3...do you have a Win 7 or Win 8 system available to test it on?

Comment

Originally posted by grizly32 View Post
                        @ZoltanJr - Hmmmm...not sure what the problem is, especially since you can write from Unreal to the Arduino but not read. Could be Windows 10. I am using Windows 7 x64 and the Arduino UNO R3...do you have a Win 7 or Win 8 system available to test it on?
                        Yeah it's got me pretty stumped too. Definitely seems like it must be something odd going on with windows 10 since nobody else is reporting any issues with it.I will take some home with me over the weekend and give them a go on windows 8. Thanks for the update you did with being able to see if the connection has worked or not, at least narrows it down on the other boards, can't quite see why the Leonardo writes but doesn't read though. If I'm doing a read on tick then any write that I do in unreal should show up in the read correct?

Comment

Oh also I don't see anything in the log with any of the boards but I can get a success on connection with the leonardo, not sure if that's any indicator as to what the problem might be.

Comment

Originally posted by grizly32 View Post
                            @nickadoo - I think you may have put the plugin folder in the wrong place. From your pic it looks like you put it in your engine folder, but it needs to go into your project folder...the plugin should show up under "Installed" at the bottom of the Plugin Window list. Let me know if that helps!
                            Thanks grizly32, I've tried both locations- and I receive the error each time. I looked around and a few sites said that you need to make your project a C++ project to have plugins get packaged. I installed Visual Studio and tried to do "add code to my project", but still receive the module missing error. I'm on Windows 8 x64 if that helps!

Edit: I noticed that the "Port Opened/Closed" messages appear in the log if I hit play in the viewport. Still receiving the module missing error upon launch/packaging however.
                            Last edited by nickadoo; 05-06-2015, 11:28 PM.

Comment

Yes, the read on tick should show up. That example I showed a few posts up outputs a constant stream of "2"s to the screen.

You don't get any notifications at all in the log? Not even anything saying that the port is not opened? If so then it seems like the plugin isn't starting up at all. For example, if I start a scene with a blueprint that has just the 'Open Serial' node at 'Event Begin Play' and the 'Close Serial' at 'Event End Play' and don't even hook the Arduino up I get a "ERROR: SERIAL PORT NOT OPENED!!" warning in the Output Log. That is strange that you don't get any messages at all. Let me know how it goes on Windows 8!

Comment

Just came across this project, while i happen to recieve my Arduino Mega in the mail today! Too bad i have no time to test out this awesomely goodness called UE4Duino ^^

Comment

Working...
                                X