Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UE4Duino - Arduino to UE4 plugin Release!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can anyone confirm that they have the "4.10 version of the UE4duino plugin" functioning on "Win 10 with UE4.10.4" installed?
    If yes, how did you make it happen? :/

Sidhant.

Comment

Hi John,

first of all: very usefull plugin (i you use an Ardunin FDTI-Cip).
      I thought i can use the plugin to read any seriell data, but it seems that the plugin just read the data from an Arduino device. I tried the following:
      First PC: Kinect V2 / A little program for the data from the Kinect-> USB/RS232 to the 2. PC
      Second PC: UE4(10 & 9 with your plugin on Win10/64) should get the data and control an avatar.
      Result: No data. I'd tried all combinations of EOL(CR/LF/CR&LF/ASC13/STX&ETX/....) but no data came in. Then i tried a ArduinoNano with a print loop an everything fine.
      Is your plugin limited on the Arduino??? How can i pack the plugin to the EXE (that does not work)?
      Cable is ok (RS/TX), USB-Driver is installed for the conector and it works with other applications.
      Any hints for me?

Greetings

Comment

Hi John the signal is being passed from Arduino into Unreal. A potentiometer is attached to bicycle handlebars and I want this analogue rotation to control the characters left/right movement hence the A & D keys.

Comment

[MENTION=368631]MrBarnickel[/MENTION] Those would be better questions for [MENTION=34167]grizly32[/MENTION] who is the owner and writer of the plugin. I simply have adapted it to my game and have a bit of experience with it.

[MENTION=403612]sidhants[/MENTION] just to keep chipping away at what may be easily overlooked problems before having to get deeper into code and the like. Is your arduino connected to Serial Port 3? As a side note it appears you reading from your serial port in the image you posted based on the "Hello World.Hello World I'm seeing being printed to your screen.

[MENTION=36474]joeycampbell[/MENTION] Does your bicycle in unreal engine have a way to input to the turning axis? Generally if you are able to control it using WASD there is an equivalent function to set the axis value in the blueprint. Can you post the blueprint that shows how your steering controls work?

- John

PS: I should let you all know that for reason of my game development I stopped updating this plugin after the UE4.9.3 compatible version because I was able to succefully build a c++ game with it.
          Last edited by John Michael; 04-20-2016, 06:06 PM. Reason: New information

Comment

Thanks John - its on a work machine and I'm at home....
            I'll post that tomorrow but i also came across this option which would save me having to alter anything in Unreal:
            https://www.arduino.cc/en/Reference/KeyboardWrite

Comment

[MENTION=36474]joeycampbell[/MENTION] That would definitely be an easy way to solve it if can work with the serial.println() UE4duino seems to need. The benefit to doing it how I mentioned is that if you run a calibration on your arduino for maximum and minimum values of the potentiometer then you could send values that are non-integer and have really fine tuned steering. That's what I did with my ATV simulator and it's made for a really nice experience.

- John

Comment

Hi John,

Yes the arduino UNO is connected to serial port 3.
                I got it working with UE4.9. That's the image from the UEengine 4.9 test which is reading and writing serial data without issues (i.e hello world hello world).

The problem is with the UE4.10 plugin that is not working on windows 10 atleast for me.

Sidhant.

Comment

Hi John - did you have a potentiometer for the steering and if so how did you connect the potentiometer to the steering shaft of your project.
                  Did you use elastic or did you embed the 'pot' in a rubber wheel ?
                  I'm looking for a design to attach to handlebars that will be robust and not keep falling off.
                  Any advice ?

Comment

Hi. I'd like to know, when will the new version of UE 4.11 appear?

Comment

Same question
                      My blog about video game development and game engines (FR + Translation)
                      My books about Unreal Engine 4 & Blender Game Engine (FR only)
                      Facebook - Twitter - Youtube

Comment

Hi - I have a wheeled vehicle and I'm controlling its steering using an external Arduino Pot Sensor (like a volume knob).
                        Currently if the 'pot' is turned anticlockwise it outputs -1 and if its turned clockwise it outputs +1.
                        These sensor values are being passed onto the "InputAxis MoveRight" node and replicating what the A/D keys would do for keyboard control.
                        While this method works it doesn't make for a very smooth game play. The main issue being slight latency. If I remove the delay in my arduino sketch Unreal can't seem to cope with the rapid data signal.
                        I was wondering if:
                        1. anyone has done something similar whereby the actual 'degrees of rotation' value of the arduino pot has been mapped onto the steering column of a wheeled vehicle ?
                        2. Has anyone managed to get around the latency/delay issue for faster realtime feedback - what is the optimum delay setting in a sketch and if it can be set to '0' how do you tweak unreal to cope with the data?
                        Any advice would be great.
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	pot_turn.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	1105268
                        Last edited by joeycampbell; 04-25-2016, 10:46 AM.

Comment

[MENTION=36474]joeycampbell[/MENTION] As I mentioned I use a wheeled vehicle to simulate ATV riding. To map your arduino bit values onto a true angle value I use a two step process. I first have a calibration segment where I run until a button is pressed. During this segment the maximum bit values of the potentiometer are (highest and lowest) by turning the handle bars to their maximums. Those values are then used in the map() function which takes a maximum and minimum bit value, the maximum and minimum angle value (or otherwise, I map mine onto a -1000 to 1000 scale and divide that value by 1000 because map only returns integers and that seems to be the activation range of unreal engine steering), and the current bit value, which returns it on mapped onto the new scale. I then send the new value to unreal engine as my steering value. I use a 5 millisecond delay and it is reasonable.

As far as mounting your potentiometer I would suggest making a rigid frame to mount to the head tube of the frame and then fix your potentiometer to the top of the headset. The rigid frame will allow the potentiometer to change values as the headset rotates.

- John

Comment

[MENTION=36474]joeycampbell[/MENTION]

As I mentioned, I use a wheeled vehicle to simulate ATV riding. To map your arduino bit values onto a true angle value I use a two step process. I first have a calibration segment where I run until a button is pressed. During this segment the maximum bit values of the potentiometer are (highest and lowest) by turning the handle bars to their maximums. Those values are then used in the map() function which takes a maximum and minimum bit value, the maximum and minimum angle value (or otherwise, I map mine onto a -1000 to 1000 scale and divide that value by 1000 because map only returns integers and that seems to be the activation range of unreal engine steering), and the current bit value, which returns it on mapped onto the new scale. I then send the new value to unreal engine as my steering value. I use a 5 millisecond delay and it is reasonable.

As far as mounting your potentiometer I would suggest making a rigid frame to mount to the head tube of the frame and then fix your potentiometer to the top of the headset. The rigid frame will allow the potentiometer to change values as the headset rotates.

- John

Comment

Hi John thanks for the info. I understand the mapping and calibration...can you let me know what node or steering parameter you applied this arduino value to on your vehicle?

Comment

I used the Set Steering Input Node. It receives a target which is the "vehicle movement" of your bicycle and a float for the steering value.

- John

Comment

Working...
                                X