No announcement yet.

[FREE] Procedural Rope Bridge

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For the most part things work better than ever.

But when I run the game in standalone mode -- or open the level from another level -- the bridge explodes into a maelstrom of spinning boards. When I disable the bridge's physics there's no problem -- unsurprisingly. I've tested the issue with my customized planks-and-settings and the default planks-and-settings, and both explode.

When I disable the posts, however, the bridge is fine. Furthermore, when I check the posts and completely disable their collision, the bridge is fine. So, clearly there's something wrong with my posts and their bounding box, but I have no idea what. I'll keep tweaking them -- who knows, I might stumble upon something -- but I thought you should know. Maybe you have advice for me.

Again, thank you for your hard work.
    I'm an artist! Check out my work at https://cinebst.wixsite.com/cinebeastart and hit me up!

You can e-mail me at cinebst@gmail.com.

Comment

Originally posted by Cinebeast View Post

But when I run the game in standalone mode -- or open the level from another level -- the bridge explodes into a maelstrom of spinning boards. When I disable the bridge's physics there's no problem -- unsurprisingly. I've tested the issue with my customized planks-and-settings and the default planks-and-settings, and both explode.

When I disable the posts, however, the bridge is fine. Furthermore, when I check the posts and completely disable their collision, the bridge is fine. So, clearly there's something wrong with my posts and their bounding box, but I have no idea what. I'll keep tweaking them -- who knows, I might stumble upon something -- but I thought you should know. Maybe you have advice for me.

Again, thank you for your hard work.
      Yeah, it sounds like this is a collision issue. Have you downloaded the latest version and are you using custom posts?
      Within the editor you could show all collision volumes to see if there is something overlapping any of the planks. I'd be happy to take a look for you if you wan't?
      [FREE] Procedural Bridge Blueprint, [FREE] Spline Enabled Ivy BP

Comment

Originally posted by Cinebeast View Post

Set up the posts with a Custom collision response in their settings, and make it so that they won't collide with whatever group the rest of the bridge is made of (may need to set custom settings on the rest of the bridge physics as well though).
        Storyteller - An immersive VR audiobook player

Dungeon Survival - WIP First person dungeon crawler with a focus on survival and environmental gameplay ala roguelikes

Comment

Looks great! Thanks!

Comment

I just thinking about how I was going to make this type of bridge. Thank you so much for this.

Comment

No worries, you may run into issues though so be warned.

To maximize performance you'd ideally make a single static mesh that has a few planks (maybe 3 -5) hard linked, this will minimize the amount of constraints that are used without affecting the overall bridges flex behavior.

There may be bugs and stuff too so if you run into any problems then please let me know so I can fix them. In fact, I haven't looked at this project for two months so I'm not sure how it performs (or even works at all) in 4.8.

Comment

Wow I can't wait to try it out! Thank you for that!

Comment

Originally posted by BrightSoul View Post
                  Wow I can't wait to try it out! Thank you for that!
                  You're welcome BrightSoul!

....Please be aware that this was made in version 4.7 and may not work in the subsequent releases, if this is the case then pm me and I'll get it fixed up

Comment

Originally posted by ULLS View Post
                    You're welcome BrightSoul!

....Please be aware that this was made in version 4.7 and may not work in the subsequent releases, if this is the case then pm me and I'll get it fixed up
                    or you can just update the post so i can have a copy
                    Game Designer @ Masked Pharaohs ..
                    I'm Providing Arabic Support For Any One ..

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Bedier View Post
                      or you can just update the post so i can have a copy
                      Hi Andrew, it should open fine in 4.10 but I did actually spend some time updating this project and will look at getting it uploaded soon. If you're interested, I've updated some of the meshes and textures, added a Boolean which (when disabled) prevents it from automatically setting the distance and I've made some stability changes to the physics settings. I intend on fixing a few other bits and bobs before I upload the project. Keep an eye on this thread over the next few days

Comment

@ULLS - Can't wait to try the updated version
                        Storyteller - An immersive VR audiobook player

Dungeon Survival - WIP First person dungeon crawler with a focus on survival and environmental gameplay ala roguelikes

Comment

Interested on this but the download link is broken or the download isn't available anymore?

Firefox can't find the server at www.fiveleggedlizard.com

Comment

Originally posted by Rami Niemi View Post
                            Interested on this but the download link is broken or the download isn't available anymore?

Firefox can't find the server at www.fiveleggedlizard.com
                            Hi Rami, I'll try to get this fixed tonight.

Comment

Hello everyone, I have now uploaded version 0.5

In this version I have stripped out some of the old meshes and replaced them with slightly better ones, exposed a damping parameter to stop the bridge going crazy and added a Boolean which when disabled stops it from automatically calculating the distance using the line trace (set bridge length using max distance instead) as this was causing some people problems when the max distance value was set too large.

The demo map showcases a bridge complete with collision enabled cables (cables made using the bridge blueprint).

I struggle to find the time to make regular updates as I'm busy working on my game project and working my day job but I will keep adding features when time permits.

Enjoy!!

ULLS

Last edited by ULLS; 02-22-2016, 06:22 PM.

Comment

Hi! Would you help me? I've got this error, when I start your project:

MachineId:6307CCD1474E20184B0A2588FA0AC9B5
                                EpicAccountId:95f52c0771c44d5dbd3b89e629b03174

Unknown exception - code 00000001 (first/second chance not available)

"Fatal error: [File:\BuildFarm\buildmachine_++depot+UE4-Releases+4.9\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Private\GenericPlatform\GenericPlatformMemory.cpp] [Line: 77]
                                Ran out of memory al

UE4Editor_Core!FDebug::AssertFailed() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.9\engine\source\runtime\core\private\misc\outputdevice.cpp:354]
                                UE4Editor_Core!FGenericPlatformMemory::OnOutOfMemory() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.9\engine\source\runtime\core\private\genericplatform\genericplatformmemory.cpp:78]
                                UE4Editor_Core!FMallocTBB::Realloc() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.9\engine\source\runtime\core\private\hal\malloctbb.cpp:99]
                                UE4Editor_CoreUObject!TArray<FString,FDefaultAllocator>::Empty() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.9\engine\source\runtime\core\public\containers\array.h:1570]
                                UE4Editor_CoreUObject!operator<<() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.9\engine\source\runtime\core\public\containers\array.h:1199]
                                UE4Editor_CoreUObject!operator<<() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.9\engine\source\runtime\coreuobject\private\uobject\packagefilesummary.cpp:220]
                                UE4Editor_AssetRegistry!FPackageReader::OpenPackageFile() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.9\engine\source\runtime\assetregistry\private\packagereader.cpp:37]
                                UE4Editor_AssetRegistry!FAssetDataGatherer::ReadAssetFile() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.9\engine\source\runtime\assetregistry\private\assetdatagatherer.cpp:422]
                                UE4Editor_AssetRegistry!FAssetDataGatherer::Run() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.9\engine\source\runtime\assetregistry\private\assetdatagatherer.cpp:186]
                                UE4Editor_Core!FRunnableThreadWin::Run() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.9\engine\source\runtime\core\private\windows\windowsrunnablethread.cpp:74]

I can't open it.

Comment

Working...
                                X