[Tool] UDK T3D to Unreal 4 T3D Tool

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Thanks again Matt3D, I have downloaded your tool!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Matt3D View Post
    I ported over a modular building I made originally in UDK into Unreal 4, and the results where fantastic.
    However I had to manually place every actor again to recreate it, wasn't that big of a deal since the building was not that complicated.

As I wanted to do the same to my CBC building. There was no way I was going to place over 2000+ actors again.
    So I wrote a tool in php to convert UDK's T3D into Unreal 4's T3D.

Download .exe Version
    Online version link 1
    Online version link 2

Currently it only supports static meshes, porting over their location/rotation/scale, any other kind of actor or special properties are ignored. If there is enough interest the tool can be expanded to include other actors like Lights, BSP, etc.

1. You sill need to export all individual meshes & textures from UDK, and import/set them up inside of Unreal 4.
    (with a lot of work, it would be possible to write a tool to convert materials exported as T3D made in UDK, into unreal 4)
    2. Once they are in the Content Browser, you can copy the actors inside of UDK, use the tool to convert the output, then paste into Unreal 4.

There is still a lot of manual labor involved while re-importing assets into Unreal 4, but this tool is the first step in reducing the work it takes porting from UDK to UE4

Also released a T3D Converter that supports bsp brushes for UE4 ideal for maps convertion https://db.tt/XmTAcrCc
    Supports convertions from UE1,UE2,UE3,UDK T3D TO UE4
    Supports Scaling
    Last edited by kwstasg; 05-08-2014, 12:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Tim Sweeney View Post
    Matt3D, this is a great idea for helping the UE3/UDK community move to UE4. Thanks for releasing this!
    Thanks Tim! It's worth the move to UE4 thanks to all the amazing improvements Epic has made.

I've completed the move of my CBC building from UDK to UE4 using my tool, now just to make some finishing improvements to it. You can compare theses new shots with the previous one from UDK in my first post and on my website
    https://www.dropbox.com/sc/1uye55m72wjcz7t/J_ylL6-y61

And finally as per UnWheelModeller's suggestion, I've re-created the tool using C#/Visual Studio express so now you can download it, I'm also willing to share the source code if anyone is interested.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...E4Toolv1.0.zip
    Last edited by Matt3D; 04-24-2014, 03:50 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Matt3D, this is a great idea for helping the UE3/UDK community move to UE4. Thanks for releasing this!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thank You

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by UnWheelModeller View Post
    Hello Matt, your tool would be a huge help to me as well. The problem is that I cannot open matt3d.webege.com. Would you include a download link either on your main site where you mention the tool, or here? Thanks, Steven
    I've reuploaded the tool to a different host http://matt3d.byethost31.com/

Unfortunately it is written in PHP, therefore must run as a website on a server. When I set out to start the tool I knew off the top of my head I could do it in PHP, It had been too long since I had complied a program in C++ or Java.
    However I will look into making an offline version.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hello Matt, your tool would be a huge help to me as well. The problem is that I cannot open matt3d.webege.com. Would you include a download link either on your main site where you mention the tool, or here? Thanks, Steven

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Matt3D View Post
    I ported over a modular building I made originally in UDK into Unreal 4, and the results where fantastic.
    However I had to manually place every actor again to recreate it, wasn't that big of a deal since the building was not that complicated.

As I wanted to do the same to my CBC building. There was no way I was going to place over 2000+ actors again.
    So I wrote a tool in php to convert UDK's T3D into Unreal 4's T3D.

http://matt3d.webege.com/

Currently it only supports static meshes, porting over their location/rotation/scale, any other kind of actor or special properties are ignored. If there is enough interest the tool can be expanded to include other actors like Lights, BSP, etc.

1. You sill need to export all individual meshes & textures from UDK, and import/set them up inside of Unreal 4.
    (with a lot of work, it would be possible to write a tool to convert materials exported as T3D made in UDK, into unreal 4)
    2. Once they are in the Content Browser, you can copy the actors inside of UDK, use the tool to convert the output, then paste into Unreal 4.

There is still a lot of manual labor involved while re-importing assets into Unreal 4, but this tool is the first step in reducing the work it takes porting from UDK to UE4
    Awesome doesn't quite sum that enough, that's "awesome turbo"

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I just tested that if you parent every mesh that got ported over, and change the parent's scale. It re sizes everything correctly. That's how you can fix any scale issues.
    if i had realised that i would have saved myself a lot of time, oh well there done now, but that is good info for others

+1

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Geodav View Post
    thats very nice of you Matt3D, but have you considered to scale difference between UE3 and UE4.
    i don't want to get you down but its a problem i found during the beta , the scale will affect all parts from lightmaps - physics - collisions and who knows what else
    So far I haven't noticed an issue with the scaling of objects. However you might be correct as I am just using both engines as renderers for my art, and there may be issues I've yet to encounter related to gameplay.
    As long as the meshes you reimport into UE4 are of the exact same size they were in UDK. The tool places them in the correct location, rotation, and scale.

However if there are issues related to the scaling, I could make the tool modify the values to fix them. For example I'm already having to convert the rotations. It wasn't a simple copy/paste of the values in the right place because
    UDK stored rotations in it's own unit format (where 65536 was 360 degrees), my tool converts the value into normal degree rotations which is what UE4 is using.

I just tested that if you parent every mesh that got ported over, and change the parent's scale. It re sizes everything correctly. That's how you can fix any scale issues.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    thats very nice of you Matt3D, but have you considered to scale difference between UE3 and UE4.
    i don't want to get you down but its a problem i found during the beta , the scale will affect all parts from lightmaps - physics - collisions and who knows what else

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Awesome!, Good job. I think tools like this would be very useful for the community.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X